Opinions and Information: Technics SU-V8

jbpollock

I picked up a Technics SU-V8 integrated amplifier today. The only information I have been able to find on AK and the internet is that it is 110 WPC. It is labeled as class A on the front.

Anyone have any experience or opinions on this amp? My bedroom system currently has a Pioneer SA-7500. How would it compare with this amp, other than the obvious WPC differences?

Here is a link to a pic from the internet:

http://www.vintagetechnics.com/integrated/suv8.htm

This is a "New Class A" amp, not a classic class A. It would be roughly equivalent to the Pioneer "Non-Switching" amps, like the SA-9800. A microprocessor (!) controls the bias to keep the output devices linear throughout the cycle. Aka dynamic bias. The idea is to get the linearity of true class A without all the waste heat generation. It was followed a few years later by the presumably vastly superior "Class AA" line.

Whether Technics succeeded in their goals I don't know.

You know the rule: if it's cheap enough, grab it.

Bully, you've got to tell us the story behind your statement. I have the funny feeling it's going to be interesting.

PS: In the interest of full disclosure, let me admit publicly that I myself am a member of the waste heat generation.

I have a Technics SU-G91 "New Class A" integrated amp at 130 wpc. I have also had a Pioneer SA-6500/TX-6500 duo. The Pioneers were sweet little guys, but the Technics' is in another league.
I have the Technics driving my JBL L100s. Nice sound.

I don't think that Technics gets the respect it's due! I don't think that Tech is the BEST, I just think they sound better than most realize. They don't have toroidal PS's, or fancy things like that for the most part. But I feel that they can hold thier own. At least I like 'em... "Bung" the rest of you Tech haters, LOL!!

Ron

I bought one new and had it for about 7 years. I replaced it with a Yamaha int amp and the Yammie was much better sounding. I never had a problem with it but there was a noticeable improvment. just my two cents. I would not own another one.

Thanks for all of the feedback guys. I was wanting the information because I am trying to set a friend up with a stereo system and I was trying to decide which amplifier to keep (or both and find him something different). I figured the technics might be better, but I am also partial to the Pioneer because it was my first piece of vintage and it has the nice wood case.

I got the Technics home after work and found the right channel to be dead. After about 4 hours, the amp has been disassembled to where I could clean all of the switches and pots. Working now out of both sides, which is a relief.

jbpollock said:
Thanks for all of the feedback guys. I was wanting the information because I am trying to set a friend up with a stereo system and I was trying to decide which amplifier to keep (or both and find him something different). I figured the technics might be better, but I am also partial to the Pioneer because it was my first piece of vintage and it has the nice wood case.

I got the Technics home after work and found the right channel to be dead. After about 4 hours, the amp has been disassembled to where I could clean all of the switches and pots. Working now out of both sides, which is a relief.

So.... What did you think of the sound?

Ron

Well, the bad news is that by the time I got it all done my roommate was in bed so I couldn't test it out through the speakers...

However, through the headphones this amp sounds pretty incredible. Very detailed and clean. It actually will be a great amp for the bedroom because the Pioneer always had kind of a noisy headphone jack. This one is no static, all music.

More to follow when I get to test out the speakers, other than making sure they work.

Well, the initial happiness has worn off. Listened to this amp for several hours last night. Sounded fine, worked fine. Turned it on this morning and it worked well for about an hour. Then, there was a pop sent to the speakers and since then it comes on and goes into protect mode. I had checked the DC offset before using the amp, and all was ok.

Oh well

Sorry to hear that. I just picked one up at a local thrift. Went through the usual pot cleaning , too. Sounds awsome. Hope it doesn't blow. It might replace my Kenwood 150 WPC amp & preamp. Good luck with yours.

Just my opinion

I just replaced the output transistors in one of these that i picked up a while back, After adjusting everythig acording to the service manual it is a great sounding amp, Before the adjustments it was only fair. I like it alot, vey open ,powerful clean sounding amp. It beats the hell out of my pioneer
sa-8500ii and my sx 1050. If you have one take the time to adjust it properly,I can't describe the differance it makes in this amp!

I know this is an old thread but I wanted to respond. I picked up an SU-v8 at a neighbors moving sale . Sitting on a big trash can with a $1 price tag.It had to come home with me. Cleaned it up and now I've been listening to it for 2 months ,mostly on my JBL 4410's and I love it .Has an amazing bass signature and soundstage.Had the JBL's hooked to my Mac seperates and Marantz 2275 and I like the Technics best. Maybe because it's new to me but that usually wears off. It's a powerful beast and I can't get it past 9 o'clock on the volume.

I had the V6, just sold it. The V6 is the same as the V8 except the V8 has more power.

I love working on Technics gear - the V6 sounded good to me, having that lively Technics sound.

The input stage goes thru a simple opamp - do a search as its recommended to replace this with a better modern one - I did this to great effect.

i had one and sold it
it sounded great and was a heavy one
there are actually 3 different versions of the amp depending on the country it was made for
they all look different
i have a thread here about mine, you can do google images tho

I don't believe in any sound differences, but I can tell you that the V8 is basically identical to the flashy SE-A5 (except that the V8 has two power transformers, whereas the A5 has one bigger one). A very underrated integrated amp, highly recommended.

This is a "New Class A" amp, not a classic class A. It would be roughly equivalent to the Pioneer "Non-Switching" amps, like the SA-9800. A microprocessor (!) controls the bias to keep the output devices linear throughout the cycle. Aka dynamic bias. The idea is to get the linearity of true class A without all the waste heat generation. It was followed a few years later by the presumably vastly superior "Class AA" line.

Whether Technics succeeded in their goals I don't know.

You know the rule: if it's cheap enough, grab it.
the SU-V8 amplifier does not have a microprocessor ! instead is present in the models : su-v909 , 707, 505, 303

Back
Top Bottom