My AR XB with its new custom walnut plinth

Wes_in_VA

I've loved this table ever since I got it from marcmorin. The sound is simply knock your socks off. The looks....well, not so much.:thumbsdn:
This table deserved more than vinyl veneer over mdf.

I was very lucky to received some fantastic AK kindness and was gifted a new walnut plinth for this table. I got it unfinished, hit it with some black walnut Danish Oil and finished it off with paste wax and Howards Feed and Wax.
NOW, this table looks as good as it sounds.

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

That cart that's on it is a Grado Signature 8MZ that I'm getting to play with for a while.
Oh yeah.:music:

Attachments

• IMGP2583.jpg
    IMGP2583.jpg
    53 KB · Views: 947
  • IMGP2579.jpg
    IMGP2579.jpg
    48.6 KB · Views: 477
  • IMGP2588.jpg
    IMGP2588.jpg
    47.4 KB · Views: 475
  • IMGP2587.jpg
    IMGP2587.jpg
    34.6 KB · Views: 475
  • IMGP2590.jpg
    IMGP2590.jpg
    36.5 KB · Views: 475
Very Nice. You still maintained the traditional look of the original plinth.

Did you do anything special with the counterweight as a result of the headshell change?

Bob

Very Nice. You still maintained the traditional look of the original plinth.

Did you do anything special with the counterweight as a result of the headshell change?

Bob

Marc did that before I bought the table, so he'd need to chime in on that.
I sure do like having that standard headshell on there.

Having the standard headshell and cuing must make the table a lot more convenient to use for sure. Looks great! Nice work on the plinth.

Marc did that before I bought the table, so he'd need to chime in on that.
I sure do like having that standard headshell on there.

Yes, that is an XA counterweight, besides what I think looks better being brass, it is also heavier than the original steel one. That was needed to off set the additional mass of the collar and headshell. Generally, using a technics armtube doesn't require as much change in counterweight mass, but that is an XB armtube modified to accept the bayonet mount.

The Siggie now mounted on there is almost like a "family reunion" :thmbsp:

Looks great!

Who gifted it to you? They deserve a high five.:yes:

We hope the benevolent soul soon posts photos of his own custom XB base in ultra curley maple :thmbsp:

He might wait until myself gets done with the rebuild of the mechanicals.

I have two bookmatched XA bases in fancy walnut coming from him as well.
The top plates have already be refinished in metalic pearl with a hint of metalic bronze. ummmm ummm:yes:

This is an example of AK'rs coming together, who've never actually met, and sharing.

More to follow I'm sure.

We hope the benevolent soul soon posts photos of his own custom XB base in ultra curley maple :thmbsp:

He might wait until myself gets done with the rebuild of the mechanicals.

I have two bookmatched XA bases in fancy walnut coming from him as well.
The top plates have already be refinished in metalic pearl with a hint of metalic bronze. ummmm ummm:yes:

This is an example of AK'rs coming together, who've never actually met, and sharing.

More to follow I'm sure.

That's why AR threads are so easy to enjoy. No bs, just happiness.:thmbsp:

Sort of on topic, but that XA that I got up and running at Xmas had the vinyl base. It looked pretty bad, and every time I looked at it I wanted to do something about it. I worked as a cabinet maker for a few years, so it wouldn't be a big deal for me. Getting that table out his house would be tough, now that it is running again, though.
Has there ever been a thread with a "cut list" for XA bases? Can a wood veneered base be used as a template for a vinyl based one? Or just swapped?
It would make for a nice gift to show up with a nice wood base some day.:yes:

Last edited:
Man, I think I may need to get that platter polished, now that the plinth looks so good!

100%!
Call me crazy, but I think a well polished XA/XB platter is a thing of beauty.
It took a lot of work with mine, but Mothers Mag Polish worked great.

That's why AR threads are so easy to enjoy. No bs, just happiness.:thmbsp:

Sort of on topic, but that XA that I got up and running at Xmas had the vinyl base. It looked pretty bad, and every time I looked at it I wanted to do something about it. I worked as a cabinet maker for a few years, so it wouldn't be a big deal for me. Getting that table out his house would be tough, now that it is running again, though.
Has there ever been a thread with a "cut list" for XA bases? Can a wood veneered base be used as a template for a vinyl based one? Or just swapped?
It would make for a nice gift to show up with a nice wood base some day.:yes:

the bases are inner changable........where thigs get a little different is where AR attached the bolt brackes, in a fit of stupidity they used three different length bolts, so those brackets could be mounted anywhere. Re veneer base,
let me look in my inventory, and in the meantime PM me your email address

the bases are inner changable........where thigs get a little different is where AR attached the bolt brackes, in a fit of stupidity they used three different length bolts, so those brackets could be mounted anywhere. Re veneer base,
let me look in my inventory, and in the meantime PM me your email address

Thanks Marc. This is an "in the future thing", though, no need to get too far into it.
If the table was in the same city as me I'd veneer it ASAP, but it's not. It might be best if I built a new one here, and then brought it along for the next trip home.
If I'm safe to build it based on the base of my table, that's good news. If somebody has a cut list, so I don't have to disrupt my table, even better.:D

Thanks Marc. This is an "in the future thing", though, no need to get too far into it.
If the table was in the same city as me I'd veneer it ASAP, but it's not. It might be best if I built a new one here, and then brought it along for the next trip home.
If I'm safe to build it based on the base of my table, that's good news. If somebody has a cut list, so I don't have to disrupt my table, even better.:D

I don't have a cut list.........but........the inside measurements are the more critical. outside measurements then apply (wood thickness) if you intend to run a dust cover.

I don't have a cut list.........but........the inside measurements are the more critical. outside measurements then apply (wood thickness) if you intend to run a dust cover.

Thanks. I'll remember to work with the inside measurements.

A dustcover is another issue. Talking big here, but what I'd like to do is make the base a bit thicker, and then also make a dustcover based on the dustcover sticky. I have a dustcover for my table, but it's a tight fit. A little more thickness on the base, with a slightly bigger cover would be nice.

I don't want to derail Wes' thread. When/if I do this I will start a new thread, and I'll be sure to keep track of my measurements.

Thanks. I'll remember to work with the inside measurements.

A dustcover is another issue. Talking big here, but what I'd like to do is make the base a bit thicker, and then also make a dustcover based on the dustcover sticky. I have a dustcover for my table, but it's a tight fit. A little more thickness on the base, with a slightly bigger cover would be nice.

I don't want to derail Wes' thread. When/if I do this I will start a new thread, and I'll be sure to keep track of my measurements.

No worries from me. I kinda think us owners and lovers of these AR's gotta stick together. :D
It's also on my list to try a DIY dustcover, but not for this table: I need one for I'm going to go with a full cover instead

Back
Top Bottom