H. H. Scott S-15 Speakers...opinions, knowledge?

fairlane500

Hi All! Looking for help on a thrift store sighting, a pair of H. H. Scott speakers, model S-15. They appear to be of early 60's vintage, beautiful, heavy cabinets (reminds me of KLH-17 in look and feel). Could not (easily) remove the grilles so I don't know the driver configuration, surround type, etc.

I've been to the amazing H. H. Scott vintage website (http://www.hhscott.com/Default.htm) but even they don't have much about Scott speakers.

Thanks for any help in advance!

They are three ways using very decent CTS cone drivers (10" woofer). I have a pair of these (dump find) and they sound much better than their modest design features would suggest.

None of the classic American electronics mfgrs were ever noted for their speakers, but the Scotts of the late-1960's (and even well into the 1970's) were perfectly decent. I wouldn't recommend paying more than $15 or 20 for them, though.

http://audiokarma.org/forums/showthread.php?t=22385&highlight=Scott+S-15
(the photos fell victim to the database crash a few weeks back)

scotts-15drivers.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks for the info!

Many thanks for the info and your effort! They are $20 but often are marked down after a bit.... I could not find the earlier post you linked or much else on the web (as you and others have noted.) I might take a chance on them but don't REALLY need more speakers!

I have a soft spot for nice 60's cabinetry...and odd ball stuff!
Hal

I have a pair of the lesser S-10B's (not sure what the "B" signifies) - smaller 10" two-way with what would appear to be the same woofer and tweeter, just without the midrange. Not a terribly extended range speaker (at either end), but pretty well balanced and easy to listen to. - Mark

I had no intention of keeping them, but I have... because they're efficient enough and they really sound quite respectable... maybe the best-sounding, all-cone 3-way I've heard (not that this is really saying all that much, but you get the idea).

I had a pair of them I found at the thrift shop. Very nice speakers, balanced and easy to listen to. If you get them I'd suggest re-sealing the cloth surrounds on the woofers, as mine had started to let air out and this significantly reduced the bass.

To get the grilles off, you have to stick something under the wooden lip on front (like a butter knife) and gently flex the grilles out.

Mine were keepers for a long time, but I got restless and sold them.

Thanks for mentioning the grille removal, Roypercy... forgot that little tidbit. They're not too bad to remove (compared to some).

I picked up my pair of S-15s about a month ago. I was originally looking for some ARs or KLHs to go with a vintage system I have. I settled for these because they looked nice and appeared to be in good shape (plus they were alot more reasonably priced than what I was looking for at that time). They perform quite nicely and sound pretty darned good. I have them paired up with some Klipsch KSB 3.1s. My wife likes them because the match with some of the furniture and americana decor she has going on (go figure). While these Scott's won't shatter many windows, or win any beauty contests, they have done very well for me, and I am impressed with the sound quality. Kinda neat reviving an older thread.

Last edited:
I have a pair of Scott S-15s as part of a bedside vintage system. I didn't have much luck searching for info on these on the net, but I did find this ad with a good picture and description:

http://members.aol.com/KDresch/scott.html

The bass response is decent for these old (heavy!) beasts, but definitely wanting in the higher frequencies. There is an interesting switch at the back that allows you to cut out the high frequencies (wonder why?). I have the switches set to "increase" HF response. Works for me!:D

Well, you asked for opinions, went to see a set of HH Scott S-15 and within 5 seconds of the guy showing them I was impressed with their sound. You are right, speakers that look like this should not sound so good. I am totally pleased with the purchase, a little dab of some speaker glue for pin holes and they are as good as new. Best sound for the dollar. They sound great with the Fisher 400, can't wait to put them on the Scott units.

Can someone tell me when the S-15 were actually made?
attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    79.7 KB · Views: 1,621
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    136.4 KB · Views: 1,579
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    85.6 KB · Views: 1,593
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    110.3 KB · Views: 1,553
I've got a picture of mine also. I'm not sure when they were manufactured, I've tried some research, but haven't had much luck. I've had mine for about 6 months now, and absolutely love em'.

Attachments

• Picture 766.jpg
    Picture 766.jpg
    72.8 KB · Views: 418
Thanks, I looked at the back of the grills, no dates. These speakers deserve more than the yard sale / thrift store reputation, they are absolutely rich and easy on the ears. The also do not lack anything other than what a sub woofer might provide. Wow.

That's very interesting about those Scott's. Thanks for the pictures. I don't see any ports, are they acoustic suspension?

Noob here, so sorry for the ignorance...

Is $40 a good price for these? Also, what is "acoustic suspension" vs ?

Acoustic suspension is a technique to load the woofer at low frequencies, putting the woofer in a sealed (air-tight) enclosure, and using the volume of trapped air inside the box to provide restorative force on the suspended speaker cone. Invented by Villchur et al. (Acoustic Reseach).

If they're perfect, they'll give you $40 worth of enjoyment... seems a little expensive to me, though, frankly.

Well, time to revive an old thread. I joined the Scott S-15 club today, a find at a little junk shop I go to sometimes. Same place I found my Wintec R-1060 receiver. I hooked them up to my Pioneer SA-8100, and they sound really good for what they are. I'm listening to Chet Baker on them right now, and they sound like jazzy speakers to me. One of the mid-ranges has a little pinhole in it, any suggestions what I should patch it with? A glop of Aleen's, or the old coffee filter trick? I wish I had a Scott tube amp now, I bet these would sound really good. Maybe they'll be a good match for the Harmon Kardon 520 I just picked up, they're about the same age. Mine say they were made in July, 1969. All the drivers work, so for $20 that makes me really happy. I'll clean up the nice veneer cabinets, and they'll be ready to join the collection.

Steve

East coast sound, KLH-like; a good thing IMHO.

More Scott speakers, some pics

Seems the earlier models like yours had inward-slanted front edges; mine shown here are all flatter-front. The 3-way 11D has polycell tweeters; more modern sounding than the cone tweet especially with the thick tweed grills off.

attachment.php

Congratulations on joining the club, mr wetland. My S-15s (dated 1971) are probably the least fatiguing of all the speakers I have (admittedly all thrift shop finds), and one of my favorites. They played almost continuously through the holidays and just seemed natural for the old Christmas favorites, but they handled Guitar Hero fine too. I have found that they are a little sensitive to placement--if I position them too far off the ground bass drops off rapidly. I assume it is an inevitable consequence of such a small cabinet for a 10" woofer. Post a picture when you get a chance.

Back
Top Bottom