My DIY RCM ... Isn't She Lovely?

ODYOFAEL

The Voice of Vintage HiFi
I just thought I'd share my DIY RCM. Automatic like the VPI 16.5.
Her are photos of the build, Main photo is down below. :thmbsp:
Cost: Around $250
Most pic were taken using my phone, the clearer ones where by an old Power Shot.:D

Last edited:
That really is a beauty.

How well does it work?

You could consider streamlining the costs and manufacturing them on a test run for sale here on Barter Town. I'm sure you would have a few takers.

You could also post a youtube video of your masterpiece in action.

Cheers

Very nice. I've wanted a RCM for quite a few years, I think your project has finally pushed me over the precipice. Nice touch putting legs on it with an integral shelf below for storage. :thmbsp:

What part was the most expensive and did you or can you do a cost per item break down? Nice work:thmbsp:
It was the VPI wand that cost the most.
Box...$5
Scrap wood for top of rcm plus custom cutting...$15
Vac...$30
VPI replacement brush...$17
Mahogany handle for brush...$15
Gear motor (5 rpm) ...$5
Toggle switches...$4
Metal legs...free
Round table...free...plus cutting...$25
Stain...in house
Plastic floor protector...$5
Vinyl bubbles...$15
Toyota Camry coolant reservoir...$5
PVC elbows...$8
My bad...that's less than what I thought.:scratch2:

Very nice. I've wanted a RCM for quite a few years, I think your project has finally pushed me over the precipice. Nice touch putting legs on it with an integral shelf below for storage. :thmbsp:
Thanks. That's actually an antique carpenter's tool box. If you records, many or few, it's best to have a record vac.:thmbsp:

@tubeboob
...and it works really well because of the slower motor compared to the real VPI rcm. I owned one before.
This machine is I would say 60 to 70 % more quiet than the VPI. Just as loud as our Shark Navigator vacuum.

Last edited:
Nice! I especially like the small side shelf - classy.

I'll add it to the RCM resource thread. :thmbsp:

That really is a beauty.

How well does it work?

You could also post a youtube video of your masterpiece in action.

Cheers
I did post one I think 3 days before I started the thread. If you'll notice, I was still using the wing nut to hold the record in place. I replaced it with that floor protector bumper thingy.:yes:
You'll still hear the background music during the vacuuming process. That's how "not loud" the unit is. You'll hear more of the suction/hiss.

http://youtu.be/faGxXy75PKk

Last edited:
Beautiful job, and totally unique!

A real 'one-off'. I love stuff like that! Hope it gives many years of loyal service!

Back
Top Bottom