Audio Research D-150??

Parkakungen

Ive been offered too buy this amp.
Anyone have any info about it?
The sellers tells me its a classic?
How does the sound of it compares with todays tubeamps?
And what would be a fair price if it is in ok condition?
is it easy to find spare/extra tubes for it?
Any info is welcome.

all information is on www.arcdb.ws
if the price is right buy it
i have a classic 60 and it´s hard to beat i,am using arc products now for 13 years and counting
cheers

Last edited:
Honestly, there is no such thing as a bad Audio Research component. The D-150 is a classic, and rightfully so. I'd buy it if the price is right. Check the Audiogon Blue Book, as there won't be data on eBay.

The D-150 was unobtainable when new except for a very few absolute audio nuts with BIG checkbooks and who wanted the best and had an understanding significant other. If you can even find 1 only 1 bit of advise - GET IT! This was the 1st amp that knocked off my Marantz 9s with ease sonically but even I could not justify buying it at the time.

Tube replacement should not be difficult but it will not be inexpensive. If you do get it, invest in a fan rack to move plenty of air since these run warm and ARC has a weak point with heat in their designs. The was an accessory 1U fan rack for these.

If you decide not to get it, I'd like a PM since I would be interested. As for pricing, I'd suggested calling Audio Classics and talk to them. These are so infrequent that normal sources such as eBay won't help unless you have a year or so to wait for 1 to possibly come up. If you get it, look for the SP3 series preamp, preferrably the 3-A1 and you'll quickly learn why ARC became legendary in its early years.

Ive looked all over the net and havent found one listing or any info what so ever what a D-150 should cost.Strange.
Nobody here that got a clue?
Are we talking $1000, $2000, or $5000??
A D-150 in fair condition roughly what should it go for??

How does it handle speakers that drop below 4ohms load sometimes?

Well I keep looking, if I find any info I will post it here.

Parkakungen said:
Ive looked all over the net and havent found one listing or any info what so ever what a D-150 should cost.Strange.
Nobody here that got a clue?
Are we talking $1000, $2000, or $5000??
A D-150 in fair condition roughly what should it go for??

How does it handle speakers that drop below 4ohms load sometimes?

Well I keep looking, if I find any info I will post it here.

It is worth as much as you are willing to pay for it. It is a great amplifier and for your own use, how much do you want to spend? As how well it will handle sub 4-ohm loads, it was developed after the golden era tube amplifiers as well as ARC's 1st generation of products. I'd bet you'll find enough feedback to allow it to handle the impedance swing of a loudspeaker quite nicely. Were I you, I'd do a listening evaluation before I spent anything.

D-150

The D150 harks back to about 1976. It is one of the amplifiers that defined "high-end " as we know it today. Highly regarded by Harry Pearson in the day. The original review had the D150 driving Magnepan Tympani panel speakers along with an SP-3 pre or the Levinson JC-1. The Tympani system was know as the Audio Research system as ARC distributed the magnepans directly at that time for Jim Winey.

The outputs are 6550's and the inputs might be 6cg7...It is a brute and likely needs power supply caps now . The D79 (a later vintage) is about the same size but about half the power...now that is one fine amp too...good luck

1975 Original list was $2785...it books at $1050. This thing weighs in at 115lbs!!! If one became available and I could afford it...I carry it across the desert to get it home. As someone else said, anything made by Audio research is good gear. The 6550 is a great tube. 150 watt per freaking channel...it uses 4-12AX7's, 8-6CG7's AND 5-6550's. There were only about 200 of these made and my guess is it would go for big bucks on the 'BAY for that reason. SERIOUSLY>>>if you don't want it PLEASE let me know because I do! I mean that!

Last edited:
Hello,

Audio Research is a Minnesota company. They are located in Plymouth, Minnesota. The company I work for manufactures the chassis for all their current line of products. My boss is the brother of one of the big-wig's over there. They are still in business and are still going strong after all these years. They order new chassis from us all the time.

Audio Research has a very highly respected and well deserved status in the audiophile world. They stand by everything they make. They will also service anything they've ever made. Send it back to them if your unit is faulty and they will send you back your unit in a timely manner. It will be back to factory specs guaranteed. How many other companies can make that claim nowadays?

Only other company that I can think of offhand that can make that claim is Magneplaner. Oh by the way, they are also a Minnesota company.

Both companies are not shy either. They welcome people to call and make appointments to see their places of business and demo their products to whomever is interested.

Back
Top Bottom