• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Vandersteen 2C - The Fix

baco99

AK Subscriber
Subscriber
For those of you not following D&S, I recently was presented an offer I couldn't refuse on a pair of Vandersteen 2Cs that need some work. One of the tweeters was out, the PO thought it was a crossover issue. And both woofers were noisy.

Turns out both woofer spiders need to be re-glued back to the baskets. And I think one of them got a little dirt inside the VC gap because there's something scraping in there. A thorough cleaning and new glue and those should be back in business.

The broken Polydax TW9 tweeter has the common broken tinsel issue. I unwound the tinsel one turn and plan to resolder on to the terminal and reassemble. The tweeter measures 5.8 ohm, which seems a both low to me for an advertised 8 ohm driver, but perhaps it's OK. Unfortunately, the TW9 is no longer available, so the fix should work, or I'll have to find a modern Audax or equivalent replacement for both sides.

Opening these things up is like undressing a mistress.

Whomever got the glue discount for DCM, also bought staples at a discount for Vandersteen. There's a million staples in there.

And lastly, I have decided the the most brilliant speaker designers are terrible wood workers, or they wouldn't wrap their products in fabric.

9394538586_047aa65186_c.jpg


9391770265_aca8a86d37_c.jpg


9394574424_edd6625b24_c.jpg


9395715853_3dd3c761d4_c.jpg


9395733207_00e0ff0d34_c.jpg


9395918731_4a3d252837_c.jpg


More to come!
 
Register to hide this ad
If your tweeter repair doesn't work, you might want to call Vandersteen and ask about driver repairs before shelling out big bucks for two new tweeters. Several years ago I bought a pair of 2Cis that had one blown tweeter. Vandersteen rebuilt the driver for about $70 including return shipping, if memory serves.
 
Last edited:
Well, I do buy into what Richard Vandersteen says about being able to put more money into the
drivers and crossovers without spending a lot of time making pretty veneered boxes.
I've had JBL Monitors and they are some pretty walnut boxes, (and sound nice)
but I really do like the open sound of the Vandersteen 2 series ...

Then again, I believe the 2CIs and 2CEs don't have some of the issues the older 2C speakers had ...
 
And lastly, I have decided the the most brilliant speaker designers are terrible wood workers, or they wouldn't wrap their products in fabric.

I agree and disagree with you to an extent. While I sometimes like to listen with the grills off to see the drivers. I do love the look and design of those Vandy's! Sorta like DefTech, DCM or my Mirage's. I still like the clean look of speakers with socks! :thmbsp:
 
I agree and disagree with you to an extent. While I sometimes like to listen with the grills off to see the drivers. I do love the look and design of those Vandy's! Sorta like DefTech, DCM or my Mirage's. I still like the clean look of speakers with socks! :thmbsp:

there is something mysterious about the socks.
 
tweeter has been repaired and we are back in business!

During the repair. Doesn't look pretty, but it sounds mint! I also replaced the ferrofluid with new stuff while I was in there.
9418122072_b692d03bf2_c.jpg


Will work on the woofers next week. the VC gap for the woofers is about as small as the tweeter. relatively-speaking, there's not a lot of slack there. will take some time.
 
well they got better at woodworking. they're not cheap but i love the way my new quatros look. and they match my vintage stereo cabinet (well almost, the cherry is getting a nice patina). the treos are gorgeous too and a bit more affordable, but i've been graced with a room that is 39' long on the axis they fire on so i knew i'd want subs again and the treos didn't have them built in. oh well, i figured my stereo gives me more joy than any car and i don't plan on every buying new ones.
 
Those look like the Audax 1" tweeters? Did you notice the number on the back?

They look like 2Ci s by the way, Vifa rubber edge woofer, Peerless mid.
 
Those look like the Audax 1" tweeters? Did you notice the number on the back?

They look like 2Ci s by the way, Vifa rubber edge woofer, Peerless mid.


YOU ARE CORRECT!

I didn't take the mids out. The tweeters are Polydax/Audax TW9.

The woofers and subwoofers are rubber surround.

Serial # are 31434Ci and 31435Ci

Putting the finishing touches on now.

Anyone have dimensions or a schematic for the stands?
 
I have a pair of 2C stands I can measure if you think they are the same for the 2Cis. These are the heavy industrial strength stands.... Send me a PM and I will send you the measurements.
 
I vividly remember listening to a pair of Vandersteens driven by Mitch Cotter electronics at Take Five in New Haven CT in 1982 or 3. I've never heard anything as three dimension - you felt your could walk among the instruments. I was in no position to buy either the speakers or the electronics at the time since I was in Divinity School, but back then audio stores indulged the curious, assuming that at some point, they'd buy (and I had bought cartridges and step ups). I took a leaflet about Vandersteen that touted the precision of their wood sawing equipment, and credited some of their excellent sound to the tight fit of their enclosures. So I can't agree with the aspersion on the wood working. The sock has obvious acoustic benefits, and nailing everything down to minimize rattles and resonances is also beneficial. It's a pain in the ass to work on, but what aspect of this hobby isn't?
 
Back
Top Bottom