The Audiophile Next Door

Very nice article, not condescending or critical, just informative. I wish there were more articles about audiophiles written with the same sort of respect.

I believe at last count his gear was worth around $250,000 not including records.

The intensity and dexterity he has mastered everything and is devoted every day to a repetitive ritual, its just mind boggling to me. Its not the money he spent that is the wow factor. People spend that much on their annual Maybach maintenance or special Ferrari disk breaks.

Now that guy is all the way in.

Except for his sweet spot. All that seriousness, and the sweet spot is the crack between the cushions? That made me chuckle.
If my sweet spot is the crack between the cushions, I push the couch over a couple of feet.

I also got a good laugh out of the comments. A usual suspect's panties were once again in a bunch.

Last edited:
If you did that it throw of the symmetry of the room and most especially of the soundstage.

That is not a frivolous response.

If you did that it throw of the symmetry of the room and most especially of the soundstage.

That is not a frivolous response.

Seriously? Maybe he should have just purchased a three cushion couch instead.:D

Seriously? Maybe he should have just purchased a three cushion couch instead.:D

Actually I've been faced with the same sort of dilemma. I would very much like to replace the single chair in the sweet spot with a sofa or a love seat. Although the sofa seats three and has a centrally located cushion it's too wide for my purposes. I've considered a love seat with an thin extra cushion for solitary listening to keep away from the "crack" syndrome. Placing a love seat off center is out of the question.

The intensity and dexterity he has mastered everything and is devoted every day to a repetitive ritual, its just mind boggling to me. Its not the money he spent that is the wow factor. People spend that much on their annual Maybach maintenance or special Ferrari disk breaks.

Nonetheless, it adds to the sense of dedication. Even if he's extremely wealthy, the cost of that equipment required a lot of man hours working to earn that much.

Actually I've been faced with the same sort of dilemma. I would very much like to replace the single chair in the sweet spot with a sofa or a love seat. Although the sofa seats three and has a centrally located cushion it's too wide for my purposes. I've considered a love seat with an thin extra cushion for solitary listening to keep away from the "crack" syndrome. Placing a love seat off center is out of the question.

Before I did a reno in my basement I had the same problem. We had a three seat sofa that barely fit, and the sweet spot was not aimed at a cushion position. If I had a night of listening time by myself I would often remove a cushion and push the others over so I was in the sweet spot.

Not to go all Dr. Sheldon Cooper or anything, but I thought it was funny that the money and effort that was put into the system didn't extend to the seat. Part of sitting down after a hard day with great music, an awesome system, and a glass of wine, is the sitting.:D

Before I did a reno in my basement I had the same problem. We had a three seat sofa that barely fit, and the sweet spot was not aimed at a cushion position. If I had a night of listening time by myself I would often remove a cushion and push the others over so I was in the sweet spot.

Not to go all Dr. Sheldon Cooper or anything, but I thought it was funny that the money and effort that was put into the system didn't extend to the seat. Part of sitting down after a hard day with great music, an awesome system, and a glass of wine, is the sitting.:D

Maybe the seating solution lies in the way the McLaren F1 handles seating.:scratch2:

Maybe the seating solution lies in the way the McLaren F1 handles seating.:scratch2:

I don't know about the guy in the article, but if I set up my/our seating here that way there would be score threads aplenty after my wife booted me out and dumped my stuff at GW.:lmao:

Not sure what your style is, but you can get plenty of sofas without divided up cushions

movie-steel-sofa.jpg

^ This one's from CB2

Did you guys read the article? He bought gear cheap from the manufacturers. And cheap in this context is probably well under a hundred if the total is 250. Sure many are not there but many here buy something good, cheap, keep it until something better comes along and sells that cheap unit for way more money to fund the new unit.

It would be nice to see what one of the systems cost using that stepping up scenario over the years he has been doing it. I'm sure many here could afford those types of purchases over that time frame.

Nice that the discussion following the article broke down just like the discussions here on AK. Some folks...

Not sure what your style is, but you can get plenty of sofas without divided up cushions

movie-steel-sofa.jpg

^ This one's from CB2

Its very pretty but you cant go diving for loose change between the cushions when you REALLY NEED those 2$ and 57c. Or find an occasional unexpected nacho to snack on for that matter.

Anyways.

Am I the only one who read all the comments under that article and noticed what an obnoxious ass Michael Fremer really is. I'm sure his intentions are good but... not really sure if his intentions are good. :scratch2:

Back
Top Bottom