SX-1050 clean and refurb recommendations

Groove-Colo

Apologies if this is a bit of a cross-posting...

I'm looking forward to delivery of an inherited SX-1050. To my knowledge, it's not been powered on since the early 80s but I believe it to be working. I have received recommendations that a fully cleaning and servicing makes it well worth the money spent. (to be matched up with a pair of refurb Ohm-L speakers)

Can anyone please make recommendations of someone capable of such a project? Preferably in my area (Denver Metro) but I'm seeing quality work to keep this piece in the family at least for another generation.

Should I risk powering it up and giving it a try before cleaning etc???

Thanks in adv!

Groove - Welcome Aboard!

If you have access to a variac powering up at a reduced voltage level with everything turned off/minimum might be beneficial. If there is no variac available, you can construct a dim bulb tester (DBT) for less than $15 and power the unit througha very low-wattage incandescent lamp to limit current. Gradually increasing the lamp wattage and resultant current might suffice.

Perform a web search using the terms "electrolytic capacitor reforming" and read the relevant articles. The input voltage and supply current can emulate this without a lot of disassembly. Following such procedures may enable the unit to be operated safely without a lot of preparation and rework before you can even test it.

If you can power up the unit and evaluate its condition after a few days of limited power operation, you may be farther ahead as opposed to diving in and replacing devices wholesale in hopes of getting all suspects and not detrimentally affecting the unit's design performance.

If you can power up the unit and evaluate its condition after a few days of limited power operation, you may be farther ahead as opposed to diving in and replacing devices wholesale in hopes of getting all suspects and not detrimentally affecting the unit's design performance.
Agree with you on this one

This could prove interesting. I have a few friends that are hardware engineers (of which I am far from...) and might be able to track down a variac.

I would prefer a professional or someone with experience that could help me with such a project. The DBT option looks reasonable but again, having no experience with this sort of thing, I'm much more interested in paying a pro to ensure success.

Let me see about constructing a DBT and/or obtaining a variac. Thanks!

quick update... i have an indication that this unit was powered up and operational as early as 4-5yrs ago. it arrived, however with the volume knob all the way to the right (from my memory, that's the max volume setting) would that change any opinions in terms of powering it up w/o a variac or DBT?

That knob might have been inadvertently spun fully clockwise while handling the unit during packaging. It probably has no relevance, but of course it should probably be turned to MIN for starting up.

Another update: The guy I've been working with has claimed to have done a full cleaning ($70). I got it back and the volume kicks off from time to time when at low setting 2-3 clicks off min. The FM tuner also seems to get quite low signal levels even when connected to a rather unbalanced whip-attenna and tuning into even very strong stations in Denver.

I've sent it back and he claims that most of the front panel controls are quite difficult to get to and the volume knob specifically is known to have problems of this sort without "better/more professional" cleaning. I get the sense his "cleaning" so far has involved spray and whipping off various easy to reach components???

Anyway, he has now off-loaded the work to a more professional oriented tech that can handle all the front panel control knobs and switches. All that said the cleaning costs have significantly increase to the order of $200-300.

My question to those that have had more experience with such repairs and cleaning jobs is, does this all sound about right? Would I expect to pay this kind of money for a complete cleaning and checkout or am I getting the run-around? Keep in mind 4-5yrs ago, this unit was fully operational. I merely trying to be as careful as possible to ensure I can have this receiver around for another generation or two.

Any and all comments are welcome!

Thx in adv!

labor is very expensive. tuner probably needs a good alignment.

sounds about right....

Another update: The guy I've been working with has claimed to have done a full cleaning ($70). I got it back and the volume kicks off from time to time when at low setting 2-3 clicks off min. The FM tuner also seems to get quite low signal levels even when connected to a rather unbalanced whip-attenna and tuning into even very strong stations in Denver.

I've sent it back and he claims that most of the front panel controls are quite difficult to get to and the volume knob specifically is known to have problems of this sort without "better/more professional" cleaning. I get the sense his "cleaning" so far has involved spray and whipping off various easy to reach components???

Anyway, he has now off-loaded the work to a more professional oriented tech that can handle all the front panel control knobs and switches. All that said the cleaning costs have significantly increase to the order of $200-300.

My question to those that have had more experience with such repairs and cleaning jobs is, does this all sound about right? Would I expect to pay this kind of money for a complete cleaning and checkout or am I getting the run-around? Keep in mind 4-5yrs ago, this unit was fully operational. I merely trying to be as careful as possible to ensure I can have this receiver around for another generation or two.

Any and all comments are welcome!

Thx in adv!

If the unit has been sitting for that long, you should have a pro look at from top to bottom. The main filter caps have a tendency to leak over time and that can cause serious issues with the unit which is why Watthour recommend the variac. There are capacitors and transistors that are at the end of the life and need to be replaced in order to have a dependable unit that will last another 30 years. The cleaning of the volume controls, tone, base/treble, loudness, mute, etc. switches and potentiometers can take time and depending on the labor rate in your area, can be costly. So if you spend the money to clean the unit and then it still does not perform up to snuff, you will have to pay the same tech or another to go through it replacing the parts I mentioned previously.

With the unit "kicking off" every so often is a sign of parts that are or have failed and will need to be replaced. You should hear the first click after turning on the unit with the volume set a minimum then after a few seconds, could take up to 8 seconds, you should here a second click. This is the soft start relay working to prevent speaker damage. A cleaning may cure the issue, then it may not. The second tech should be able to help you with this issue and then you'll need to decide how to proceed.

Good luck .. Great machine, great sound, loads of power, ..:music:

Back
Top Bottom