magnepan tympani 4

hpm-1000

hello, i have a pair of tympani 4 that is failling in both of the bass panels in the midle.

I want to take the socks off so i can look at the wires, i know i possibly need to change wires and new glue... but i dont understand how to take the socks off without cutting the cables connecting to the bass panel in the outside... someone can help me with this??

thank you

cut the socks

First -check with Magnepan to see if they still sell the socks as a part. You can definitely make your own -but most of us suffer from a gender specific fault in that our skills with a soldering iron are a whole lot/some better than our sewing.
I assume you've looked at the bottom - there's a whole raft of staples down there -remove them and slide the socks up. Don't cut these wires -it's been a couple of decades since I last did this - someone else will chime in - but I don't remember having to cut the wires between panels?Since you will almost certainly want to replace the socks - just cut them rather than any wires.
Rewiring these speakers is not a minor project.

We need pictures, but you would be the correct answer by calling Magnepan and asking. They know the answer, we may or may not.

The wires probably need to be glued back down and there are plenty of links to that repair on the MUG site.

I've never worked on a IV, but on a 1d those wires had bullet connectors on one end, and all you did was pull them out of the next panel.
So, the outside (bass) panel had two little wires sticking out of the hinge side, the middle panel had two recessed female connectors on one side, and two wires coming out of it's other side, and the tweeter panel had just two recessed female connectors on it's hinged side. It was no big deal to pull the socks off & back on (once you removed a million & six staples from the bottom), and fish the two little wires through the hole... IIRC, there isn't any hole on the new socks, you just cut a small one to "let the wires out".

Hope that makes sense, it's much harder to describe than to actually do, but you should be safe giving the wires a bit of a pull, and I think you'll see what I'm describing. Again, I'm not as familiar with the IV, but I suspect it's very similar.

Back
Top Bottom