Who Throws Audio Gear Away

Freds.Bands

Live Music Listener
That is....

What kind of person throws away audio components into the trash?

As opposed to those who recycle to the thrift stores etc.

And why?

Anecdotes and speculations welcomed.

I do. It goes to the dump if it is bad and will cost more to fix than it will be worth.

this is a find i had last week at the dump

i saved them all:banana:

Attachments

• selling 615.jpg
    selling 615.jpg
    98.9 KB · Views: 251
  • selling 614.jpg
    selling 614.jpg
    96.4 KB · Views: 280
  • selling 696.jpg
    selling 696.jpg
    49.2 KB · Views: 294
  • selling 693.jpg
    selling 693.jpg
    49.2 KB · Views: 211
  • selling 688.jpg
    selling 688.jpg
    43.8 KB · Views: 266
People that see it as old and broken and don't know or understand charity donation.

Seriously, there are a lot of folks that have no idea what a thrift store is or what it is good for. There are also a lot of people that have no concept of recycling.

Seriously.

I now have a stack of four receivers that need repair. Donation is not an option, because the thrifts want something that works. I may try to revive one of them, but I don't have the time or energy to take these on with no hope of recovering my investment.

Perhaps I should list them as "repair practice units - free to a good home" on Bartertown? They will probably just end up at the recycling depot.

Whatever I do, they will not end up in the trash.

Time is money. I don't want to hunt for a thrift store or bother selling something for ten or twenty dollars. I'm not a wealthy person but I don't need the ten bucks that badly.

I do recycle, we put out a recycle container every Friday. Also, bulk trash pickup is every Friday. So if I put out dead electronics, a bed frame, anything metal; there are guys who drive around at night and take that stuff before the real trash collectors get there on Friday. I assume it is going to metal recyclers.

Also, I don't constantly cycle through stereo equipment. I tend to purchase and keep things for a long time. So there are very few occurrences of me dumping electronics, which is good.

I admire people who donate to charities. I donate financially but not in the method discussed here. Again, it is primarily a time issue.

Best,
Terry

If it's really badly broken, I offer free for parts, then if no takers, I toss. I have a Yamaha R-700 I need to do that with. I tossed a dead cd player I could not get a new laser for, but I would find it hard to toss a Yammie, even with a bad IC.

That is....

What kind of person throws away audio components into the trash?

The kind like me. When I don't need something and selling it isn't worth my time it's junk and out in the alley it goes. I don't seek to gain merit by my manner of disposing of useless goods.

I throw out my former Tandberg RR and Dynaco amplifier due to the large cost of repairs that were needed.

I tossed a Sony surround sound receiver, most ugly sounding thing I ever listened to.

Good posts here. I'd venture to say that for every curbside "find," e.g., a dusty Mcintosh amp or pair of battered Klipsch speakers, there are hundreds of pieces of audio crap being tossed that even a thrift store wouldn't touch with a ten foot pole. Also, the cost of repairing vintage gear (if you're lucky enough to know someone competent who CAN repair it), shouldn't be minimized.

Low quality junk sounding speakers usually get thrown away eventually, No one wants to keep em!
SAD part is when High quality Vintage speakers are junked!!:tears:

I've only pitched stuff that no longer works. If it works I'll ...
  • use it
  • sell it
  • give it away
  • take it to Goodwill

A Bang&Olufsen "Beogram 4004" stands on my garden wall since 2008. It deserved it being banned. This is some sort of throwing away. Picture in my album.

If I can't use it, can't sell it and it's broken beyond (economical) repair I keep all the parts I can re-use, what remains goes in the dumpster.

I found a better use for the stuff. There's a sansui unit used as fill in the concrete in my garage floor. And there's several other units that made great fill for a sidewalk I poured a couple years ago. Some of the stuff you can't even give away and it does get old babysitting it.

Like many things, it's valuable IF you can find the right nut at the right time. My motorcycle was rescued from a dumpster - yes a complete 1979 Suzuki GS750 with 9,000 miles on it.

Some times you just NEED the space I guess.

I found a better use for the stuff. There's a sansui unit used as fill in the concrete in my garage floor. And there's several other units that made great fill for a sidewalk I poured a couple years ago. Some of the stuff you can't even give away and it does get old babysitting it.

Those will be archaeological finds some day confounding a young investigator -

How did this piece of electronics end up encased here? Is Jimmy Hoffa somewhere nearby?

just tossed

A NAD 6235 cassette deck. Tried to give it away, no takers. Always hated it anyway. Jim:music:

usually if you just curb it it will be gone,there are lots of people driving around looking for stuff.ones junk is anothers treasure.

Back
Top Bottom