Kenwood system advice needed, please help.

Brianlee78

Hello all, I am putting a system that is mostly Kenwood and need some advice as to what should anchor it receiver wise. Here is what I go so far:

Kenwood LS-890 speakers
Kenwood KX-1030 deck
Dual 701, shure v15 iii lm
Denon 1920 CD player

This system is mostly for vinyl listening but have to accommodate you know.

I also have;

Kenwood TK-140x (in the shop, not sure what is wrong yet)
Kenwood KR-4400
Kenwood KR-6340
Kenwood KR-7070a (can buy one for $70 but needs a little work)
but I feel these are not the right receivers for this setup.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!
Thanks

The 4400 would make a nice system with the other components. When the 140x gets fixed, try it compared to the 4400. There should be a difference in sound and you can decide which you like. These are the stereo units. But wait there is more...

The 6340 is a quad unit but can be used in stereo mode offering more power (40wpc), than the 4400 (25wpc) so that would probably be the one I would use.

I would not jump on a unit that is broken if you can't fix it yourself. Although it is a higher powered unit than the others, you might find that one of the other two do what you need.

The 4400 and 6340 were available new at the same time so they look a bit the same as far as the dial but the knob layout is obviously completely different. These should sound similar with the 6340 having more power.

I'd say you have some listening to do hooking up one for a week and listening and moving on to the next one until you have decided which one you like. If you need more power you can always look for a nice working unit.

Thanks

Picking up the 7070a for $50 and it just needs a good cleaning. Looks like I do have a lot of listening to do. Thnaks

The 7070A is in fact the right choice. A powerful unit with a nice phono section and of course the famous tuner power of Kenwood. Did you get also the remote with the unit?

Back
Top Bottom