Troels 3-way classics making music!

oglethorpe

I Kept them sealed as my room is only 12 x 14. finished with watco danish oil. really really nice stuff to work with.

Attachments

• IMG_1086.jpg
    IMG_1086.jpg
    70.3 KB · Views: 85
  • IMG_1088.jpg
    IMG_1088.jpg
    83.9 KB · Views: 92
  • IMG_1094.jpg
    IMG_1094.jpg
    59.9 KB · Views: 79
  • IMG_1095.jpg
    IMG_1095.jpg
    86.5 KB · Views: 114
  • IMG_1102.jpg
    IMG_1102.jpg
    62.6 KB · Views: 141
Very, very nice. I think you might still get better performance with a port, damped with a little of that wonderful denim insulation as needed (cover with a little grill to make things nice looking). I could be wrong, though. Need in-room measurements at lots of locations to be sure.

Thats definitely something I have to consider. I want to make sure the drivers are fully broken in and then adjust the stuffing before I add the vents. I guess i"m trying to tune them to the room. Also I plan to add them to the back and there's no room to pull the speakers from the wall in this room. Also I wonder if the ports could be tuned to have less output at 30 hz than the sealed configuration. but even not broken in and sealed its still articulate bass. I know that the long term answer is damping the room which I already have the go ahead on.

Well done! I built a pair too and I've had them for nearly 2 years. They are excellent performers. That sealed midrange driver in that sealed compartment is nice! Kinda like a full range driver with a tweeter and then the woofer.

I ran mine with the port out the rear. The mid level SEAS drivers in these are killer good

Port = 72(Inside Diameter) X 170MM As you probably know is what Troels calls for.

I did go with a 3" port from Madisound and I called to ask what I should adjust the port length to given the 72MM is a bit more narrow than the 3"

http://www.madisoundspeakerstore.com/flares/ports/vents/3flare-complete-kit/

Go 3" and then you will go a bit longer than 170MM... Madisound has good knowledge as does the Parts Express techs.. OH, or someone here.

Email Troels at - troels.gravesen@hotmail.com
He is cool as hell and usually responds in 24 hours or so.

Sorry, I built mine a few years ago and can't remember exactly. You did better with the wood work!

http://www.troelsgravesen.dk/3WClassic-Andy.htm

3W%20front.JPG

3W%20Rear.JPG

Last edited:
Nice work!
Did you do all the finish work yourself? It is really well done.:thmbsp::thmbsp::thmbsp::thmbsp:

Finally added the ports after a few weeks of wondering what the original design sounded like. I used what ill call a radiused 3 inch ID 90 with one slip fitting cut down to just a small flair. The other end of the 90 has just enough pipe to be flush inside the cab and slide all the way into the fitting. The length comes in at somewhere close to 8 inches. I spent some time trying to figure out how to maintain the 3 inches of clearance in between the inlet of the port and surrounding cab walls and this 90 was my best solution. I'm thinking about just leaving them on the outside because I can leave them close to the wall without the ports firing directly into the wall, also they don't use up any precious cab volume on the outside. Adding the ports has changed the sound of the speakers quite a bit. Its really just a more balanced sound. The bass is huge and I will have to be more careful about the time of day when I listen now, but the sound is more pleasing. I could see trying to reduce the bass as I try to be a good neighbor. Im currently listening to Cakes Fashion Nugget, a cd I know thoroughly and the bass guitar is the most prominent I have ever heard it. I suspect my room is a bit smaller than ideal for this design. To answer Westend, Yes I did the woodwork myself, though I had to cut the plywood at my dads as he has a shop and table saw that can handle a full sheet. and thanks for the compliment, I really wanted the speakers look as nice as I think they really are.

Attachments

• IMG_1108.jpg
    IMG_1108.jpg
    65.6 KB · Views: 22
Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom