AUNE T1 24/96 Tube DAC - TUBE REVIEW

arcorob

Addicted Member
I was asked to post this. I have to say, I am amazed what some of these tubes CAN and CAN'T DO...The two GE labeled are simply amazing...
NOTE - this applies to my system. Of course every systems will be a bit different (links in the chain) but definitively , yes a clean tube sound...

The Stock tube - 6922EH - New tube by Electro Harmonix - 3 1/2 stars (out of 5)
For a stock, new design tube, I have to say it has its merits. it has strong gain, very wide soundstage, brings the mid's into focus where they should be. The vocalist is present where they should be and clearly distinct in a 3D sort of way. The bottom is nice, not boomy but the top end, while detailed can be a bit fatiguing. I can say it is like an Audio Technica microline cart that hasn't broken in yet. Vaguely bordering on sibilant in that high upper range - not quite getting there but you almost expect it. For a stock new issue tube, not bad.

Russian Voskhod 6N23P - 1986 vintage - Made for medical use (red tip) - 1 star
Unlike some very good SOVTEK, SVETLANA and others that are sturdy and have a decent sound quality, these were as dull and lifeless as they come. The soundstage was narrow and flat (no depth). I really have nothing positive to say except I am glad I only paid $9.00 for a pair. I'll sell them for $7.00 - any takers ? LOL

Vintage Amperex Tube 6GM8 / ECC86 - With Orange Globe and made in Herleen Holland - 1968 - 4 stars (or maybe 3.8 stars
This is one of the holy grail tubes, hard to find with the globe in this setup. More often it has a bugle boy on it (not BUGLE BOY tubes..long story). They can be expensive and I snagged this for $14.99 It is a fine sounding tube, very holographic with nice highs and mids. It takes the edginess off that was present in the 6922EH but without being rolled off. Bass is very deep...perhaps too deep. I could feel it which was nice but found myself wondering if it was a bit boomy. Certainly would not be describe as tight crisp bass. Sort of made me think my bottom end was replaced with some Cerwin Vega D9's. From what I have heard so far..I would almost (and did) give it 4 stars but more listening with other types move it down to 3. So much for one of the better recommended. This is where system variations truly dictate what is good for whom

6GM8 ECC86 Tube (GE Label marking) made in HOLLAND - Vintage 1963 - 4.5 Stars **** TOP RATING
This one made my eyes pop. It is not one that was advertised as remarkable, in fact, I don't see a lot of listing for it (Brent J doesn't) but I guess for me it is a best kept secret. From top to bottom, everything was detailed, in the right place with a wide holographic sound stage. The bass is where the Amperex SHOULD have been but was not, the vocals a pure joy as you could hear the vocalist at the mic. Vey nice, clear separation of instruments, nothing munged together. So far, my best tube. One note, it says MADE IN HOLLAND on it (factory lettering) but the CODES say it was made in Hamburg Germany. WWII was over in 1963, right ? LOL

Mullard 6GM8/ECC86 Coded- ~~D4A2 - 2 Stars
I was excited to get my first Mullard in this series as I have come to expect good things. Now I have received TWO of these, same date code, same lot and never seen a socket. They are not broken in but I can always tell where a tube starts and where it might be headed. Unfortunately for me, it was a bit bass heavy and nowhere near as detailed as the GE tube or even the stock tube.Mids and staging was flat. I was looking so forward to liking this. Well, expect nothing and you wont be disappointed. These cost me the most so far and I don't enjoy them at all.

Sylvania . 6DJ8 ECC88 Halo Getter Yellow Lettering USA FB EFB - 4 Stars
Now this is more like it. Very nice tube. Beautiful soundstage, deep base but not boomy. Nice mid's. For under $10 shipped, this tube is beautiful. So why 4 stars ? Comparatively, the GE at 4.25 STARs still bests this one slightly with a bit more detail and a bit more forward in the mids, Still a beautiful tube and if I never heard the GE, this would be my #1. There is a smooth quality to it, velvety that I expected from the Mullard (but did not get). You would be crazy not to try one for a price in this range.

GE Labeled SIEMENS 6AQ8 ECC85 GERMANY - cant make out date code 4.25 Stars ****/
This bad boy is amazing, Soundstage impresses you immediately as does the detail. This and my other GE labeled tube will knock your socks off. So why does that one get 4.5 stars and this one 4.25 ? They are very close. The GE 6GM8 marked made in Holland is perfect. Would make anyone happy (depending on your caps? ..lol) So will this 6AQ8 which I think has a tad better soundstage (by a thumbnail) but also just a thumbnail less bass. Really I should rate them both 4.5 but I need more critical listening. I listened to about 12 different type songs and could find no wrong EXCEPT some heavy metal tune by Nickelback and that may be the mastering, I need to check. But all other cuts, gorgeous. Vocals will make your head spin and take notice.

Sovtek 6H30Pi EB Cryo Single Super Tube - Brand new production - 4 stars (for now)
Being a NOS tube person, I was skeptical that a new production tube could compete in this class yet; I was willing to try it for comparison sake. I had appreciated the sound of the stock 6922EH tube and felt at the worst, they would sound alike even though they are a different tube. In fact, many sites selling this tube tell you not to use it in place of the 6922 as the audio device you use may not be suited for it. Fortunately, I already had prior advice that it was a good match for the AUNE.

When deciding to purchase, I was torn between the 6H30Pi from Sovtek and one from Electro Harmonix. As it turns out, both are identical and made in the very same factory. For some reason, the EH was listed as being a bit "warmer" which sounds silly considering they are supposedly the same. I chose the Sovtek because I was seeking detail as my system is warm enough.

I fired the tube up in my Aune and was immediately impressed by the detail I was seeking. Unlike the EH 6922 tube, the Sovtek presented it's highs beautifully without a hint of "edge" or "fatiguing upper range". The mid's and vocals were nicely forward and separation, soundstage and depth were excellent.

Listening to the drums and the bass, I could hear the snares, high hats and kick drum very well. If I had to say anything negative, I could not call the low bass as crisp but I also could not say I did not like it. It was not dull and boomy but more like it had a strong presence. To me this is rare and if your system needed a kick in the bass (without being mired in mud) this might be the tube for you.

I also want to mention it is a beautiful looking tube. Its a taller than the 6922 and looking at the plates, pins and getter, there was nothing crude about it. It looked like a precision made unit.

Also, I gave it 4 stars (for me) because the extra bottom while not muddy, was more than I needed and in comparison to ones over 4 stars, I had to give them an edge, but it may change as the tube breaks in.

Last edited:
I've heard for years that "tubes are for boobs", and that they do nothing for sound or imaging. Yeah, OK. I can't afford $100,000 for a set of SS amps & preamp. I love what those valves (usually) do in a system.

I picked up the Aune T1 as well and have bought 3 NOS tubes for it. The stock tube it comes with I have had best luck with - EH 6922. Unfortunately, i am having terribly bad luck at buying tubes or the ones I have selected (with the assistance of AK'er lwrs10) are not fully compatible.

Philips Miniwatt ECC85 by Mullard 1957 NOS
Vintage Fisher Mullard 6AQ8 ECC85
NOS NIB GE (made by MULLARD) 6AQ8 ECC85 Vacuum Tube Tv-7

But all 3 are giving me the same issue. They seemingly work great for about 5 or so minutes and then after that everything becomes muddy/distorted.

I think I will try some of the ones Arcorob mentioned.

That doesn't seem to make sense. Perhaps the unit itself is defective in some way.

Eyecon...

Ya, seems odd but the tube it came with has no issues. And once the 5 minutes or so rolls by from there on out the tube always performs the same way.

Do your tubes get hot ? Mine tend to stay relatively cool..

Yes, I talk to lwrs also. The thing is everyone has a different system. So where the recs he made might be good for some, they would be dull and lifeless for mine...I had to experiment quite a bit (as you saw) and still more coming. So you and I need DETAIL and clarity to compliment out systems...In his they might feel bright, who knows...Note, I started out saying the stock tube was not so bad...yet many feel its too bright for them...

Just want to point out on the GE's (much sweeter than the amperex or mallard made so I think you will be pleased) look at the TOP plate and Getter portion - Important

For the 6GM8 GE says Made it Holland, looks like a dime above the plates and then the halo getter above that - NOT a frame that looks like an A

1503485_785553638126767_845466480_n.jpg

1526318_785553678126763_1254267_n.jpg

for the 6AQ8, again not an A frame, has a bar across the top and then the getter - Made by Siemens and GE branded

1526318_785553678126763_1254267_n.jpg

I recently had a chance to compare the Aune to my Maverick D2...the Aune was in stock form and the Maverick has the upgraded opamp and GE tube.

Both performed well, but I preferred the sound of the Maverick on just about all of the selections used to compare them. More detail, more clear and natural sounding to my ears. Side note...I actually preferred the Maverick over the Aune both with and without its tube in the output circuit.

However, I don't really have anything negative to say about the sound of the Aune...except perhaps that I may have heard just a bit of shrillness in the upper frequencies that I've never head in my system before.

Let me add that I've probably never heard the sorts of nuances attributed by Arcorob to any piece of gear, much less to one tube vs another...so it is quite possible that my ear is just not trained or sophisticated enough to do a fair comparison. Just thought I would add my experiences for others considering the Aune (or the Maverick).

kcblues...thank you

I recently had a chance to compare the Aune to my Maverick D2...the Aune was in stock form and the Maverick has the upgraded opamp and GE tube.

Both performed well, but I preferred the sound of the Maverick on just about all of the selections used to compare them. More detail, more clear and natural sounding to my ears. Side note...I actually preferred the Maverick over the Aune both with and without its tube in the output circuit.

However, I don't really have anything negative to say about the sound of the Aune...except perhaps that I may have heard just a bit of shrillness in the upper frequencies that I've never head in my system before.

Let me add that I've probably never heard the sorts of nuances attributed by Arcorob to any piece of gear, much less to one tube vs another...so it is quite possible that my ear is just not trained or sophisticated enough to do a fair comparison. Just thought I would add my experiences for others considering the Aune (or the Maverick).

Hey bud, thanks for the comparison, side by side. A few questions...as I have discovered something. First, did you test with speakers or headphones? I ask because I was using speakers in my test. Tried the headphone amp today. Awful. I FOUND THE REASON - WHEN USING THE HEADPHONE AMP , I HAD TO SET MY TABLE TO 50% VOLUME AND LET THE AUNE AMP DO THE WORK...

Next, did you compare using the stock 6922EH tube? If so, it can be a bit fatiguing and not top choice. I would love to send you one of my he's and let you retest...value your ability to compare. You DO have to send it back though...lol...these are rare. Interested ? Thanks

Last edited:
I editted my prior post

Found out the headphone amp is great, it just likes my tablet/pc signal in to be at 50% not 100%. The AUNE does the work. Scared the jeepers out of me..it sounded like ASS at 100% ...cut it back to 50% and used the AUNE gain knob...wow...night and day...had the aune gain at about 50 to 55% and it was sweet..loud...plenty of juice...

Anyway, carry on...LOL

Hmmm....I'm confused about the headphone amp. I would have thought that by passing a digital signal to the Aune you would be bypassing the headphone amp in your PC/tablet?

As for your offer of the upgraded tube...I appreciate it, but the Aune I was using was borrowed from a local acquaintance. I had been thinking about getting one for use in my office system, but will probably go with a second Maverick D2.

Yet another tube to Review for the AUNE T1

I will add this to the first post list but wanted to show off yet another new tube...

Sovtek 6H30Pi EB Cryo Single Super Tube - Brand new production - 4 stars (for now)
Being a NOS tube person, I was skeptical that a new production tube could compete in this class yet; I was willing to try it for comparison sake. I had appreciated the sound of the stock 6922EH tube and felt at the worst, they would sound alike even though they are a different tube. In fact, many sites selling this tube tell you not to use it in place of the 6922 as the audio device you use may not be suited for it. Fortunately, I already had prior advice that it was a good match for the AUNE.

When deciding to purchase, I was torn between the 6H30Pi from Sovtek and one from Electro Harmonix. As it turns out, both are identical and made in the very same factory. For some reason, the EH was listed as being a bit "warmer" which sounds silly considering they are supposedly the same. I chose the Sovtek because I was seeking detail as my system is warm enough.

I fired the tube up in my Aune and was immediately impressed by the detail I was seeking. Unlike the EH 6922 tube, the Sovtek presented it's highs beautifully without a hint of "edge" or "fatiguing upper range". The mid's and vocals were nicely forward and separation, soundstage and depth were excellent.

Listening to the drums and the bass, I could hear the snares, high hats and kick drum very well. If I had to say anything negative, I could not call the low bass as crisp but I also could not say I did not like it. It was not dull and boomy but more like it had a strong presence. To me this is rare and if your system needed a kick in the bass (without being mired in mud) this might be the tube for you.

I also want to mention it is a beautiful looking tube. Its a taller than the 6922 and looking at the plates, pins and getter, there was nothing crude about it. It looked like a precision made unit.

Also, I gave it 4 stars (for me) because the extra bottom while not muddy, was more than I needed and in comparison to ones over 4 stars, I had to give them an edge, but it may change as the tube breaks in.

1604981_790305770984887_508995191_n.jpg

I posted my impressions of this unit on the Head-fi site. here's the link - I hope that's allowed here:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/633006/aun...ead-see-first-post-for-faq/4230#post_10172792

If it doesn't get you to the exact post it's on page 283..

I like the T1. My only concern is that they may be letting their quality control slip, which is addressed in the review. I was going to hold tube acquisitions at the 2 described in the review but that Sovtek 6H30Pi EB Cryo Single Super Tube might be tempting for down the line.

Ben

I am really loving this thing

Its like a whole nother piece of tube gear to play with...LOL

Add to that what it has done to expand my digital listening ...

Now the stock unit is awesome, could leave it and be overjoyed. But our own dear LWRS10 tore it down (of course) and found it could be even better replace 4 of the caps with better caps) ..so of course we have ordered them...LOL

And its EASY to do, very easy to pull it out and get to the caps..

So we'll keep you update..:yes:

Now the stock unit is awesome, could leave it and be overjoyed. But our own dear LWRS10 tore it down (of course) and found it could be even better replace 4 of the caps with better caps) ..so of course we have ordered them...LOL

And its EASY to do, very easy to pull it out and get to the caps..

So we'll keep you update..:yes:

Please do keep us up to speed on this - either here, at head-fi or both. I'm seriously thinking about trying out the recap. A sticky on the parts & links to order them, e.g., Mauser, Parts Express, etc., would be welcome too!!

Back
Top Bottom