What Is Your Favorite Integrated Amp?

Retro Stereo

Subscriber
I think we've all seen enough "receiver" threads and questions to last us a couple of years, so let's get down to the REAL "meat and potatoes" gear!

My favorite Integrated Amps - I own one of each of these, big surprise here:

Pioneer SA-9800
Pioneer SA-9500
Pioneer SA-8500II
Pioneer SA-8500
Pioneer SA-9100

Everybody add pictures if you got them. Mine will be added later.

Retro

Last edited:
I guess I should have read a little further. I have 3 favorites.

1. SA-9100
2. SA-8100
3. SA-7500.....Out getting an overhaul at the moment.

Pics will be posted at a later date. As I want to get all 3 in one shot. Besides if anyone has read any of my threads they will have seen them already. :)

Mine are the harman/kardon A402 and the Onkyo A7. But understated and elegant, not to mention incredible sounding.

Definites:
Dyna SCA35
Sherwood S5000II
Mattes SP200
McIntosh MA5100, MA6100
Marantz 1060

Suspects:
McIntosh MA6950
Marantz 1200
Sony TA-1130

I'll take my JVC AX-Z911 on the basis that no one else has one. It is the best sounding amplifier on earth, and no one can prove me wrong! :banana:

Seriously, it does sound excellent, and the fact that it was made in 1988, and has digital inputs, including optical, boggles my mind. Power is rated at 100wpc, it consumes 550. It's a tank, it weighs around 40 pounds, I need to get in on a scale. It's got a thick aluminum front, remote, and a super cool holographic display in the front. It retailed for $1,100 in 88, (thanks Bolly) so I think that speaks something of it's quality. I wish I could find someone else who had one. Power is clean to the point it drives you out of the room, and that was before I got these big Klipschs. I wish I had more to add to the list, but I'm only 27, I just got started! Crexrun

IM002165.jpg

IM002156.jpg

sorry for the poor pics, the flash made it look horrible, it's actually in excellent shape, minus the dust and fingerprints.

I had a Pioneer SA 9500. It replaced a Rotel RA 810, and it certainly looked cooler, and I suppose it had more power, but I can't say it sounded any better. So I guess its not a favorite. Whereas the Rotel's charm lingers...
My father had a Sherwood tube integrated -- don't remember the model, but it was one of the gold and ivory ones with multicolored lights -- wonderful sounding.
I also had a Marantz 1060, which had to be repaired before I could use it (so maybe some magic got let out or something). I never stopped fussing with the controls, which is one sign of not being satisfied...

crexrun, I'm 99% positive a friend of mine has the same JVC as yours(his is in protect, or only works on one side), don't know for sure. Haven't spoken to him in awhile but if I run into him I'll ask if he still has her.

Sansui AU-X1, but I'm willing to trade it in on the one pictured in Retro Stereo's avatar (looks like it has a great bottom end :D )

Thanks Bolly, I'd be interested in another one, just because. thanks for the info on this one, It's the only hard numbers I've seen! Thanks, Crexrun

Not really vintage, but nothing I've ever heard can beat the Sony TA-F808ES MOSFET integrated amp. Has everything, including terrific sound.

For true vintage, I'll take the Yamaha CA-2010, especially after EW does a refurbishment of same. BGs in phono-stage were magic.

And, just gotta include the Sony TA-5650 VFET integrated which sounds oh so sweet after EWs magic.

Almost forgot about the McIntosh MA-6800. Nice looking and nice sounding integrated.

Attachments

• TA-5650 & ST-J75.jpg
    TA-5650 & ST-J75.jpg
    85.8 KB · Views: 375
Last edited:
Now that I have experienced it, the Kenwood Model 600/650. Hands down the best looking integrated I've ever seen and its got the sound to match. I really liked my Pioneer SA-9500, but it just can't compete. EDIT - Forgot the pic, although you likely saw it in the other thread about it...

Model650Angle2.jpg

Last edited:
had a yammie a-1020 i liked and A-1 yammie a early pioneer long time ago Inspiribomb your kenwood is a beauty

Mine has to be my sansui au9500. Lots of inputs, and plenty of knobs and switches to play around with. Also is nice to look at and last but not least it has that glorious sansui sound.

My two favorites, based on experience are the Yamaha CA-610II and the EICO HF-81. There are others I might lust after, but I own these two and am very fond of both.

Right now I'm loving my Yamaha CA 600. I have it hooked up to a pair of KLH 6's and it performs just flawlessly. I have a Pioneer SA 8500 that I really like as well, and I just bought a Kenwood KA 5700 that I haven't auditioned yet. Still it's hard to imagine it getting any better than the Yamaha.... :scratch2:
Peace

Attachments

• yam.JPG
    yam.JPG
    77.9 KB · Views: 235
My favorite is Retro's avatar....damn!!!!! Seriously, probably the KA-9100 followed closely by the Saba MT-201 with C core transformer. If you can find one cheap, grab it, full of high quality components too, like Wima capacitors.

Back
Top Bottom