Grundig Hifi-Box

Pougatchoff

:)

I have many different Grundig Hifiboxes and spend a lot of time repairing some of them, ameliorating others...
Of course I have my favorite or should I say my two favorite boxes and will begin with them. Their names ? Hifi-Box 300 and 500.
If you want to learn more about what this german manufacturer made, just take a look here: http://wegavision.pytalhost.com/grundig.html

------------------------------------------------------------

HIFI-BOX 300

These small plastic boxes are absolutely fabulous, they go at higher frequencies than LS3/5a, have more details than almost of similar speakers and stay inexpensive. The only change you have to do on them is to replace Frako capacitors with something else, a good idea is to use great cheap Russian caps like K73 series.
Product characteristics : http://grundig.pytalhost.com/grundig77/grundig77-35.jpg

Let's see the pictures of my four pairs of Box 300 :

Outside:
GrundigHiFiBox300.A01.jpg

Behind :
GrundigHiFiBox300.B11.JPG

Front:
GrundigHiFiBox300.B09.JPG

How to open :
GrundigHiFiBox300.C03.JPG

Inside:
GrundigHiFiBox300.B08.JPG

Filter:
GrundigHiFiBox300.A11.jpg

Filters with new K73:
GrundigHiFiBox300.D05.JPG

Schematic :
GrundigHiFiBox300.C13.JPG

Original cable, don't change it :
GrundigHiFiBox300.C14.JPG

With PIO caps:
GrundigHifibox300.PIO.DIY.05.JPG

With huge external 50 years old paper caps and speaker connectors:
GrundigHifibox300.PIO.DIY.06.JPG

More pictures and informations (in french) :
http://www.stef.free.fr/hifi/pages/GrundigHiFiBox300.html
http://www.stef.diy.free.fr/Modifs/Enceintes/GrundigHifibox300.PIO/GrundigHifibox300.PIO.html

Last edited:
Related products ?

I got a Saba Ultra-Hifi 9080 in trade for some audio stuff a year ago and it came with some speakers labeled Box 45. Very similar to yours. Any relationship ? I converted them to screw terminals on back and was impressed with the quality of the build. Even more impressive is the sound quality. I assumed they were all of a set, sort of an executive compact stereo. The 9080 is a true German product, all in German and the FM dial only goes to around 104mhtz. I did get the owners manual with it. After a bit of work, that turned out to be a fine piece also. Only the poor vinyl covering detracts from the overall quality of the three pieces. The box 45's are two way with a seven inch and a dome tweeter. Very sturdy construction, well sealed and reinforced. I'd like to learn more about these.

They look a bit like Braun components, the question is, how do they sound??

They look like braun but their sound is completely different.
I'm not good in describing the sound of hifi components! I just can say that Hifibox 300 are transparent, clear, alive, they generate a lot of details. When you have them at home you stop listening all small speakers you had before...

I got a Saba Ultra-Hifi 9080 in trade for some audio stuff a year ago and it came with some speakers labeled Box 45. Very similar to yours. Any relationship ? I converted them to screw terminals on back and was impressed with the quality of the build. Even more impressive is the sound quality. I assumed they were all of a set, sort of an executive compact stereo. The 9080 is a true German product, all in German and the FM dial only goes to around 104mhtz. I did get the owners manual with it. After a bit of work, that turned out to be a fine piece also. Only the poor vinyl covering detracts from the overall quality of the three pieces. The box 45's are two way with a seven inch and a dome tweeter. Very sturdy construction, well sealed and reinforced. I'd like to learn more about these.

:beerchug:

Saba Box45 have no relationship with Grundig.

Except for some series, there aren't any similarities between different Grundig Hifibox models even if their numbers are close. For example hifibox 416 sounds smooth and hifibox 416a is the opposite, a little bit aggressive and stronger in low frequencies.

I had Compact Box 250 at some point, cute little speakers indeed. Sadly, one of the woofers (if you can call a speaker this small a woofer) was shot. As a temporary measure I replaced it with a Sony mid-woofer with exactly the same dimensions and similar specs. To my surprise, the result was better than the other speaker with original Grundig driver - nicer overall sound with better midrange. So, instead of repairing the Grundig driver, I just replaced the other driver with a Sony as well and left it at that. Kind of a sacrilege, I know, but it really did improve the sound.

There were few similar German products from late 1970s (small full range speakers with metal grills). My favorite so far is Canton LX 300. Right now I'm waiting for WHD-Mini I've just bought, as small as the Grundigs and Cantons, but twice the power rating (50W continuous, 70W music power). Really curious how they will compare.

Anyway, few pics of the 250s:

3140520.jpg

3140549.jpg

3140612.jpg

3140539.jpg

Nice Grunt-Pigs, one of my friends also had a pair of the 300's, seems to me his dad brought them back from Germany. They sounded pretty decent I thought. Enjoy! Tim

Back
Top Bottom