EV 1 interface , should I get them ?

roseau river

I've been offered a set of EV 1 interface speakers for
45 bucks but the surrounds are rotten .
Should I get them ?
Worth the refoam ?
Any opinions ?

Which exact version are they? Series 1 or series 2?

I owned some Series 2s a while ago, and they sounded great! A proper refoam will involve the use of the 'filled fillet' 8" woofer surrounds and the foam tweeter lenses. Without the lenses, the speakers don't sound quite right IMHO.

The crossovers are also ripe for recapping. Get those nasty old Callins caps outta there quick-smart! They often drift wildly in value

The series 2 has the 1.5" superdome tweeter, whilst the series 1 has a cone tweeter and a square felt diffuser over it..

These were my old Series 2s:

ev3.jpg

Series one .... It's thru a friend I haven't seen them yet
But apparently everything works but he did say the foam
On the tweeters is missing where would I find replacements ?

those are very nice. i heard a pair at a shop many years ago. they sounded better than my old EV Interface:B except for bass extension but still very impressive!

You'll need to replace surrounds on the woofers & passive radiators, and IIRC one of them is an odd diameter, but I know they have been done, so it's not impossible. I had a pair years ago, and I remember them as one of the best small box speakers I've heard. So, well worth that price, and a bit of restoration.

You'll need to replace surrounds on the woofers & passive radiators, and IIRC one of them is an odd diameter, but I know they have been done, so it's not impossible. I had a pair years ago, and I remember them as one of the best small box speakers I've heard. So, well worth that price, and a bit of restoration.

The Interface 1 (both series 1 and 2) doesn't have a passive radiator - it is a ported enclosure.

The foams for the woofers are no problem - they are readily available in both standard and 'filled fillet' sizes.

The passive radiator foams on the Interface 2 and upwards will need some measuring and checking, though.

The Interface 1 (both series 1 and 2) doesn't have a passive radiator - it is a ported enclosure.

The foams for the woofers are no problem - they are readily available in both standard and 'filled fillet' sizes.

The passive radiator foams on the Interface 2 and upwards will need some measuring and checking, though.

Oops, my mistake! You're right, I was thinking of the Interface A.
I don't know if I've ever actually hears the Interface 1, so I'll bow out of this discussion. :sigh:

If they are like the ones pete-mac has pictured...I say go for it. The bottom end of those will knock your socks off. I bought a pair new in the early 1980's and still have them. I was selling a pair of Pioneer CS-88A speakers to a guy and he asked to hear my EVs. He offered me a wad of cash, but I wouldn't sell.

The tweeter foam is available from a company called Full Compass...at least it was 1 1/2 years ago. I talked them into reducing the shipping cost as a pair of them is less than an ounce. They are not cheap ...expect to pay around $50 to do the tweeters and woofers.

pete-mac...your EVs look beautiful.... nice camera work too!!!!

so I now have some pictures of the speakers from the guy, he lives out of town and will be coming in some time hopefully next week but to me the woofers don't look original?
any thoughts ?

They aren't the original woofers..... Look like the woofers in my Infinity Reference Threes. That said, the tweeters are worth the asking price.

yah that's what I was thinking also.
I do have some spare 8 inch drivers kicking around that I could install but im not sure how they would sound paired with those tweeters and crossover.
not sure I want to end up with a Frankenspeaker.

When I bought my 1s they had replacement woofers in them, and they didn't sound right as they were too inefficient. I was lucky that the original owner had kept the original drivers in a cupboard and passed them on to me later.

pete-mac...your EVs look beautiful.... nice camera work too!!!!

Thanks mate. My trusty Canon point-and-shoot is a great little camera!

I've been lucky enough to acquire some Interface A series III with outboard EQ units. They are superb speakers indeed!

Back
Top Bottom