• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Help Me AK!!! What Kind of Speakers Are These?

Audio Deacon

Active Member
Ladies and Gents I purchased these speakers and paid a nice penny for them. There is no brand, no badge, no numbers other serial numbers. We attempted to disassemble to no avail. The speakers measure 24" x 12" x 8" and weigh about 41 pounds each. The speaker grills are metal wrapped in cloth and they can not be removed either. Based on the weight and design and the RCA inputs, each appears to have built in amp but there is no power cable. I'm perplexed :headscrat:headscrat:headscrat.

Update:
I determined that the two inputs on each speaker represents Right and Left or maybe they can be bi-amped? I can tell you that the the separation is astonishing given the fact that they're only 24" wide. Listening to some Monk on them as I type and they sound rather nice. I was able to throw some power at them and they handled that effortlessly. I used my Mc 7270 and with to the halfway point before I realized it. It felt as though I could have gone deeper.
 
Last edited:
Register to hide this ad
Weird Speakers. What are they?

Sorry Here are the pics
 

Attachments

  • IMG_2357.jpg
    IMG_2357.jpg
    70.7 KB · Views: 593
  • IMG_2352.jpg
    IMG_2352.jpg
    67.5 KB · Views: 546
  • IMG_2353.jpg
    IMG_2353.jpg
    59 KB · Views: 291
  • IMG_2354.jpg
    IMG_2354.jpg
    68.2 KB · Views: 421
  • IMG_2362.jpg
    IMG_2362.jpg
    73.2 KB · Views: 467
Ladies and Gents I purchased these speakers and paid a nice penny for them. There is no brand, no badge, no numbers other serial numbers. We attempted to disassemble to no avail. The speakers measure 24" x 12" x 8" and weigh about 41 pounds each. The speaker grills are metal wrapped in cloth and they can not be removed either. Based on the weight and design and the RCA inputs, each appears to have built in amp but there is no power cable. I'm perplexed :headscrat:headscrat:headscrat. I don't know what these are and I have yet to hook up anything to them until I know how to proceed.

Does anyone out there know what these are ad how to use them?

Those jacks should be parallel to the speaker screw terminals, a common thing on old speaks.
 
What Kind of Speakers are These HELP!

More Pics
 

Attachments

  • IMG_2368.jpg
    IMG_2368.jpg
    80.6 KB · Views: 204
  • IMG_2369.jpg
    IMG_2369.jpg
    71.9 KB · Views: 209
  • IMG_2364.jpg
    IMG_2364.jpg
    68 KB · Views: 129
Ok Passive is good but why are they so heavy and what are there two sets of connectors? Have you seen any like these before and do you know the maker?
 
Speakers are passive. RCA's were commonly used on many speakers from GE, Radio Shack, KLH and others.

Passive? They weigh 40 pounds each. Also why would there be two sets of inputs. I hope they're passive but I'm really not convinced yet that they are passive. Maybe more AK'ers can chime in.
 
Yeah the rca jack was common in the 70's Janzens maybe? or are they a horn?

Ok I'll be honest. I see alot of crap speakers from the 70's. I know what poor RCA jacked speakers feel like and they usually don't weigh 40 pounds each. Furthermore most speakers built in that era which offered RCA's as the input, didn't offer connector cable inputs as well much less two sets of connectors. I hope to discover what they are soon. Eventually we'll hook them up and let AK know about sound and performance.
 
I don't know what they are. But in the pictures showing the terminals, on the outter sides, there's some nuts/screws. I would remove those and see if that plastic panel, or whatever it is, slides out.

I will agree with others, passive. Having screw terminals and RCA jacks for the speaker inputs was common.

Biggles
 
I don't know what they are. But in the pictures showing the terminals, on the outter sides, there's some nuts/screws. I would remove those and see if that plastic panel, or whatever it is, slides out.

I will agree with others, passive. Having screw terminals and RCA jacks for the speaker inputs was common.

Biggles

The case in the rear is metal. Almost military grade which may explain the weight. I'll grab a screwdriver shortly
 
The case in the rear is metal. Almost military grade which may explain the weight. I'll grab a screwdriver shortly

My apologies. Get that screwdriver baby!

Could these have been part of a quad system? What with the dual inputs per enclosure.

Biggles
 
Back
Top Bottom