Please help w/ some information on these RARE Stromberg Carlson Speakers w Tube Amps

audiolover2

Hello I bought these speakers from the family of the orignal owner and even with the make and model number i still can't find anything about them. The label says Stromberg Carlson Amplifier Consolette Model SA-540 manufactured by the special products divison - Stromberg-Carlson Company. in Rochester, NY.

This pair of speakers have their own built in Tube amplifiers with 6v6 tubes.

I have searched the make, model numbers and can't find any information on these exceptionally RARE Speakers. I will post a few pictures.

Any information on these would be much appreciated, Thanks

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    88.3 KB · Views: 154
  • 5.jpg
    5.jpg
    80.1 KB · Views: 102
  • 14.jpg
    14.jpg
    75.6 KB · Views: 173
  • 29.jpg
    29.jpg
    67.6 KB · Views: 172
  • 27.jpg
    27.jpg
    77.4 KB · Views: 187
  • 18.jpg
    18.jpg
    64.7 KB · Views: 123
WOW Vintage BI-amp!

I think that each of these would have been the companion to an SC HiFi console (with radio, turntable & amp inside). Between them, you may have had stereo, or just bi-amped mono? I'd google (late 50's - early 60s) Stromberg Carlson HIFi consoles, and see if a pic or 2 doesn't show the add on (optional?) cabinets.

Those look really nice! All you need is a stereo preamp, and away you go!

I don't know anything about them, but just wanted to say those look fantastic.:thmbsp:

nice find

each speaker has its own mono block; I've seen this done on consoles before. if you dont like the speakers -- though I think SC speakers are great and those are some hefty drivers -- you can separate them and just use the mono amps to power other speakers then prat out the SC drivers

That's cool! I've got some S-C gear and I had some of their speakers. If these were mine, I'd change out the speakers for some vintage EV's, Altecs, or similar. They'd mate we'll to the amps and cabinets. I always found that S-C's weak link was their speakers...

It looks very much like a AF-502 "New world" minus the record player...I just noticed that Bass and treble are reversed on your unit...In addition yours has a push/pull on the bass that acts as a power switch in lieu of the power switch on the record player. I now see that it uses two RC-27 and that the top section impinges too much on the speaker area... I'd either leave it alone or put a slimline 8" woof, a SC midrange in place of the other rc27, and a SC 3" tweet somewhere in the middle. Thinking on this some more, when SC used "S" in the prefix for console model numbers, It usually designates "Stereo" so it would be Stereo amplifier-540 ...500 series gives us a time frame, or "Era" frame. What i think your unit is, is the companion to an AF 501-502 mono record player console...do you know if the RCA on the bottom is an input or output?...The schematic should tell you. If it's an input then buying two of these would be like buying modern amplified speakers/monitors in the early stereo era.

Attachments

• $T2eC16Z,!zEE9s3!YbwKBRYg2SjOl!~~60_57.jpg
    $T2eC16Z,!zEE9s3!YbwKBRYg2SjOl!~~60_57.jpg
    39.2 KB · Views: 44
  • $T2eC16hHJF0FFZqqSV2TBRYgqOS-pw~~60_57.jpg
    $T2eC16hHJF0FFZqqSV2TBRYgqOS-pw~~60_57.jpg
    45.9 KB · Views: 30
Last edited:
Those are beautiful and the amps are a bonus!

You can tell those were top of the line or very close to it in their day. Love that Mahogany I am guessing?

They also made some very nice Hi Fi and Stereo components, turntables, speakers, speaker systems, amplifiers, tuners and receivers in addition to cabinet stereo stuff.

Back
Top Bottom