Do DVD players really make good CD players?

tygr

Audiophoole
I mean are the transport systems good? Are the D/A convertors good?

A little help here please.

Thanks.

A lot of DVD/Blu-ray players on the market have 24 bit DACs. Can't complain about the transports. So, I don't see anything wrong playing CDs on them.

I was told some time ago by the Classe rep that the Rotel RDV 1040 and 1060 were insane transports. I haven't tried various DACs yet but the performance is pretty spot on. A lot of the Denons are pretty tops in that market as well. Oppo is next on my list.

I think they do make audibly good players, it's just that they take way too long to read a disc or skip to the next track, they feel cheap and nasty compared to a good CD player, they often have no real controls on the front panel and the CD related functions (skipping, FF, random, programming etc are often non-existent).

There's no DVD player I've ever used or seen that compares to a TOTL CD player in all those areas.

Bang for your buck however, a DVD player must win hands down.

I think they do make audibly good players, it's just that they take way too long to read a disc or skip to the next track, they feel cheap and nasty compared to a good CD player, they often have no real controls on the front panel and the CD related functions (skipping, FF, random, programming etc are often non-existent).

There's no DVD player I've ever used or seen that compares to a TOTL CD player in all those areas.

Try a Sony DVP-7000S or DVP-7700S. That'll change your mind about DVD players.

-D

Not sure about DVD players currently being sold new, but a few years ago, even the cheapest players had excellent DAC's. I've had low-budget Toshiba DVD players that were flimsy with crappy, noisy transports and they suffered random malfunctions. They sounded terrific... when they worked. I now use expensive-when-new Yamaha DVD/SACD players (picked them up CHEAP) and they've been wonderful... solidly built, quiet transports, etc... better displays and controls too. I agree with what restorer-john said; most DVD players (especially cheap ones) are lacking in display information and responsive controls when compared to dedicated CD players, but they can still sound pretty good.

I have a Denon DV-2910 I picked up cheap because the guy upgraded and didn't have anymore use for it. It's a universal player for all the formats at the time and it does indeed play them all very well. It even does HDCD. I think it depends on what you're looking for it to do and the price you're willing to pay. I wanted the convenience of a universal player so I watched and waited for one to come along and I have been thrilled with it's performance.

I've got a LG DVD player attached to my Near Field system and a SONY Blu-Ray player as part of my Main system.

The LG has a front panel display and basic controls, it doesn't do skip / random without it's remote but it sounds very nice. Since the Near Field has my ASUS laptop attached I rarely need to use the LG, it is basically a backup for when one of my kid's in-room DVD players dies.

The SONY does not have any display but does have the basic controls, it uses essentially the same interface as our PS3 and is quite easy to use as long as you have a screen on it. Sound wise it is excellent.

The LG cost $50 five years ago, the SONY $70 three years ago.

I'm on the lookout for one of the better CD or DVD / Blu-Ray devices that's been retired from an upgraded system. So far I've seen a very few.

Mark Gosdin

Or the Sony dvp9000es in cd direct mode. :yes:

This is a 27 pound copper clad monster that can be had for $200, sometimes less.
A British reviewer gushed all over it as a CD player a few years ago. However of late I have not been able to relocate the review.
While no where near state-of-the-art (think DAC), it sounds pretty good to me, after at LEAST 100 hours burn in with a CD.

Bang for your buck however, a DVD player must win hands down.

I agree with this statement. DVD/bluray may have a good DAC but the transport and the quality is cheap. Also the functions you find in a CD player are not present in a DVD player. With a DVD player most of the functions require a remote. Remotes are easily lost. Also when I go to sleep I like to put a cd on and have it shuffle play through tracks so it is like having a new playlist every night playing the same CD. You can not do that with a DVD player. Also mentioned above very slow to read and skip tracks. I have not found a DVD or bluray player I visually like in my stack. CD players are so much more attractive and more fun to operate. To me that is what matters

I have a Denon DVD-1930CI that plays SACD. Pretty nice sounding player. However, I prefer the sound from my Marantz CD5004 which is a true CD player. But, I could live with the Denon if I had to.

That hasn't been my experience with DVD/Blu-ray players at all, even the $80 Sony DVD player I had a few years ago was at least as good as even the best CDP in every respect.

I had a Denon DVD -1930 Universal player including SACD. It was originally a 300.00 player back in the day. Not a bad player for what it is. I have since gone with a Denon DVD 2900 which weighs literally 3x as much as the 1930. Back in the day it was a 1500.00 unit new. There is a lot out there about the 2900 especially as an audio player and it does not disappoint. I bought mine on ebay for 50.00 with original box and literally like new condition.

I will sometimes bring my sony blu-ray player over from the bedroom to my listening room on the occasion I want to listen to a CD. It is unit that couldn't have been much more than $100, and I think it sounds nice. I don't have any other units to compare it to tho.

Yes other than how slowly they load a disc and the lack of controls on the player. It is nice to play rock videos/movies for the music only.

Try a Sony DVP-7000S or DVP-7700S. That'll change your mind about DVD players.

-D

Anyof the sony es or pioneer elite cd players are great,i use both, my pioneer elite dv-38a retailed for over 2-g's in Canada in 2002,wiegh over 20 lbs and still runs excellent and has seen huge hrs of use over the yrs.

It's a mixed bag. I have a cheap Sony dvd 200p in my bedroom studio. I've never seen it's on-screen menu or used the remote : ) It does sound good in it's way - meaning a bright sounding CD can be objectionable

Back
Top Bottom