JBL L100T vs. JBL L300

asmneto

I have been using a pair of JBL L100T for some time now and am very satisfied, but I have the opportunity to buy a L300. What differences should I expect to hear? Is the L300 a much better speaker overall, or there are some specific area they do excel?

Never heard L300 but L100T are very good speakers.
I assume L300 are better to demand 5 times the price.
Audiomagnate may chime in. He just had L300...

As good as the 100t's are (I owned a pair for a few years...upgraded with t3 xovers), the 300's are really a totally different class of speaker. I'd not hesitate a second to try them out and certainly wouldn't get caught up in analyzing the opinions of others before I decided to move on them. If I were you I'd pounce on the opportunity....even if it means having to unload the 100ts'. It's not hard to replace 100t's with something just as nice (or nicer)...probably not as easy to say that about the 300's.

- Michael

Last edited:
Having owned both, I can say unequivocally that the L300 Summit is in a different league. The comparison is just unfair. The L300 beats out the L100t in bass response, high end detail and, more importantly, the mid-range. The 5" LE-5 mid-range in the L100t cannot even compare to the LE-85 compression driver and horn in the L300. They do like lots of clean power but will reward you with amazing sound. I just didn't have the room or amplification for the L300's at the time I had them. If it were me and I had the funds, I would not hesitate to pick up a pair. Then you can do an A/B with the two speakers and find your jaw hitting the floor when you switch to the L300's.:jawdrop:

Where does it end?

The L100T compares to the L300 like the L300 compares to the 4345. We love them all, but some are simply better than others. And some are way better than others!

Enjoy! :thmbsp:

They do like lots of clean power but will reward you with amazing sound. I just didn't have the room or amplification for the L300's at the time I had them.

I have experimented with different amps for my L300's and have found they are actually quite efficient and do not require big power to sound great. The HF drivers in particular sound their best when used with tubes. They sounded fantastic with a restored Fisher 500c. The bass wasn't thunderous with the 500c, but it was still satisfactory in my small room.
I did the Nelson Pass crossover mod to mine:http://www.firstwatt.com/pdf/art_l300.pdf and ended up splitting the crossover for passive bi amping. This allows me to use a low power tube amp on the HF and a larger solid state for the LF. The SS on the big 15" woofers really grips them and provides amazing bass quantity and control. Paired with the tube fed sweetness of the HF drivers it is indeed a jaw dropping combo! :yes:

Back
Top Bottom