Sony SS-TL1

iKokomo

I just got a neat pair of these for FREE! So I am happy! The tweeters have a tiny hole in them and the speaker needs reforming bad! But it works very well when plugged in!

A guy bought them at a Salvation Army and took them back because (I'm sure ) of the buzzing sound of the bad foam). And they were gonna toss them and I said I would take them! So with a good refoam (and maybe minor repairs to the tweeters) it should sound amazing.

My question! I want to refoam this speaker myself (I have done at least 5 before so I know how to) but I was wondering if anyone knew exactly what speaker size this it? I measured it and the closest size I could come to was 5.25! (From edge of foam to other edge, across the middle of the speaker)
Plus is there a way to fix up a small hole on the tweeter? Thanks!

I was wondering if anyone knew if there are any specs on it?

I just got a neat pair of these for FREE! So I am happy! The tweeters have a tiny hole in them and the speaker needs reforming bad! But it works very well when plugged in!

A guy bought them at a Salvation Army and took them back because (I'm sure ) of the buzzing sound of the bad foam). And they were gonna toss them and I said I would take them! So with a good refoam (and maybe minor repairs to the tweeters) it should sound amazing.

My question! I want to refoam this speaker myself (I have done at least 5 before so I know how to) but I was wondering if anyone knew exactly what speaker size this it? I measured it and the closest size I could come to was 5.25! (From edge of foam to other edge, across the middle of the speaker)

Serviced a pair for a friend last year. Nice speakers.

Posting pictures would be a good idea. Dap of silicon will work. For small enough hole I put on a toothpick then dap on the hole. Less likely to put too much on that way. Haven't tried nail polish. I would be concerned with that hardening and cracking or falling off. But can't say for sure since I haven't tried it.

You'll likely have to go with a generic surround. Pretty sure that is what I used.

Please do post some pictures for us Sony speaker fans. There are more around here than you might think.

cubdog

Please do post some pictures for us Sony speaker fans. There are more around here than you might think.

cubdog

Here it is, my kitchen setup, yes, you heard it right, kitchen. No heavy cooking in here, only take out or microwave.
Sony:
SS TL5 speakers
STR D2010 receiver
PS FL7II turntable with Pickering TL4S cartridge
Onkyo:
A7090 integrated amp
T4090 tuner
Infinity:
P363 speakers
Technics:
SL1600MK2 turntable with ADC ZLM cartridge
SB-F1 speakers
Tascam
CD-RW900SL CD recorder
Audio Control:
C101 equalizer with RTA
C22 equalizer
C50A RTA and pink noise generator

Attachments

• Kitchen 1.JPG
    Kitchen 1.JPG
    55 KB · Views: 66
  • Kitchen A.jpg
    Kitchen A.jpg
    68.6 KB · Views: 62
Another TL5 owner! :) These TL Sonys are very impressive, aren't they? Such fun. Proof that Sony made high quality speakers.

Hey, iKokomo, I got the specs for you from the original manual.

Attachments

• SS TL5 Specs.jpg
    SS TL5 Specs.jpg
    105 KB · Views: 32
I've had the TL5 for about a year. I really like them! They seem to open up with more power. The crossovers are massive on these things! Extremely powerful bass, nice highs, and a slightly warm midrange. Great looks too. I'd love to hear them next to the highly regarded M series Sony speakers. What do you think of them Odelj48? Are you using eq?

Last edited:
I've had the TL5 for about a year. I really like them! They seem to open up with more power. The crossovers are massive on these things! Extremely powerful bass, nice highs, and a slightly warm midrange. Great looks too. I'd love to hear them next to the highly regarded M series Sony speakers. What do you think of them Odelj48? Are you using eq?

As you can see in the photo, yes I'm using an eq. They had them on display at a local shopping center back in around 1990 and fell in love with the sound. Next weekend went to a local distributor and got them with the STR-D2010 receiver, a CD player and a double cassette recorder, all Sony, all TOTL. The turntable I wanted, PS-FL7II, they didn't have it so I ordered it and got it about 2 or 3 days later with a Pickering TL4S cartridge. Once I got everything, I set them up and I didn't really like the lows, they sounded what I call "boomy", not very tight. It was typical of the rear firing woofer and transmission design. I tried playing with the parametric equalizer in the receiver and helped a bit but I was not completely satisfied. Other than that I was very satisfied. A couple of years ago I got a second hand Audio Control C22 equalizer and C50A RTA, hooked them to the receiver, used the pink noise generator and RTA to get a flat response, and, well, there is nothing those things can't fix. Now I have a very tight bass and I am happy. The only problem I've had with them is the low-mids dust caps just rooted away and fell down in pieces, but I got some replacements and now they look like new, and sound even better. To power them, the receiver is 130watts RMS with 0.008THD and IM, not bad. Look at the spec sheet from the manual.

Attachments

• Sony STR-D2010 specs.jpg
    Sony STR-D2010 specs.jpg
    124.5 KB · Views: 14
Very interesting! I can see how bass could get boomy if they're too close to the rear wall. I didn't have any issues as long as they were pulled out and adequately powered. I don't have mine in rotation at the moment, but I look forward to it! Eq is always helpful in the realm of bass.

Back
Top Bottom