• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

A Cool Little Gadget From Emotiva

Dr. Morbius

I.N.T.E.R.O.C.I.T.O.R.
This looks like a pretty nifty gadget for $50 - $60 shipped. For a person with a single source this could cut the cost of a preamp.

I could even use it as the volume control for my Emotiva XDA-2. Even though it has a built-in digital volume control, it's very slow to respond. I like to be able to twist a knob and turn the volume down stat so I can answer the phone.

Comes in balanced and RCA (shown).


http://shop.emotiva.com/collections/accessories/products/control-freak

controlfreak_web_unbalanced_withtext_1024x1024.jpg
 
Register to hide this ad
Wow, the unbalanced sets are already sold out. I could imagine that this will be a very popular item. The ultimate "passive pre" I'm assuming thats a pretty new piece from them?

Thanks for sharing. It's good to know that something like that is an option.
 
I could even use it as the volume control for my Emotiva XDA-2. Even though it has a built-in digital volume control, it's very slow to respond. I like to be able to twist a knob and turn the volume down stat so I can answer the phone.

Just a quick heads up, you can just use the mute button for that. :)

I'm glad the control freak has finally come out, Emotiva said they were going to release it quite awhile ago and I always thought it was a great idea, a cheap passive pre with no frills.
 
This looks like a pretty nifty gadget for $50 - $60 shipped. For a person with a single source this could cut the cost of a preamp.

I could even use it as the volume control for my Emotiva XDA-2. Even though it has a built-in digital volume control, it's very slow to respond. I like to be able to twist a knob and turn the volume down

Doesn't the xda-2 have a mute button? Not positive but i think my xda-1 does.

Interesting gadget though. Saw it on the Emo site but never looked into what it actually was.
 
Doh! Yes, I guess the XDA-2 does have a mute button. :o

Here's what I'm thinking. I am going to have 3 sources on my main system soon, 2 DVD players as transports and a computer. I could connect these 3 sources to a new Gungnir DAC for $850 instead of buying a new preamp. Use one of these volume knobs between the DAC's XLR outs and the Crown's XLR ins and wallah! Now my mains have about as passive of a preamp is it gets.

If I wanted to use another amp for a pair of subs I could get the RCA Control Freak and it would be an easy way to adjust the subs too.

This is tempting, although I'm still considering a Parasound Halo P5 or an Emotiva XPS-1 Gen2 as a preamp.
 
I like the looks of the Emotiva better. It seems more substantial. Maybe it's the braided cover on the cables.
 
This looks like a pretty nifty gadget for $50 - $60 shipped. For a person with a single source this could cut the cost of a preamp.

I could even use it as the volume control for my Emotiva XDA-2. Even though it has a built-in digital volume control, it's very slow to respond. I like to be able to twist a knob and turn the volume down stat so I can answer the phone.

Comes in balanced and RCA (shown).


http://shop.emotiva.com/collections/accessories/products/control-freak

controlfreak_web_unbalanced_withtext_1024x1024.jpg

I just ordered one of these this morning to play around with. I figured for $50 (for the unbalanced version), I can't go wrong. They wrote me back this afternoon to let me know that it's on its way.

It should be interesting. :naughty:
 
Anybody know what kind of pot it uses? You can pick up simliar devices for less than $10 at numerous online retailers. Granted, they don't look as nice.
 
Just search on "remote amplifier volume control" on Amazon and you have many choices. Note: the cheap ones have zero lag when adjusting volume...
 
I just ordered one of these this morning to play around with. I figured for $50 (for the unbalanced version), I can't go wrong. They wrote me back this afternoon to let me know that it's on its way.

It should be interesting. :naughty:
Looking forward to your review.
 
These are just cables with a gain control ? I guess it would come in handy for high sensitive speakers and amps with no gain controls. I just been using "PAC LC1 Universal Remote Level Control via RCA Audio Interconnect"
 
I ordered one when I read this thread. It came quick! Last year I switched out a bunch of stuff for some Dynaudio Focus 110A powered speakers and an Cambridge Azur 851c cd/DAC/digital preamp. I already had a Squeezebox Touch. Everything works fine and sounds great, but I missed a volume knob. Enough to consider getting rid of the Cambridge piece and getting a preamp/DAC with a volume knob. I just don't like using the remote.

So along comes this thing, and I like it. I got the unbalanced version. It's heavy enough so the interconnects don't move it around, it sits flat where you put it, the knob has a nice solid feel and it is infinitely adjustable, unlike the volume button on the remote.

I have the volume on the preamp all the way up and I am using the knob for control, but I might turn the digital preamp off so to be sure I am not reducing bits at low volume. Anyway it sounds great and I think it is just what I needed. Thanks for the heads up!
 

Attachments

  • DSC_0590.jpg
    DSC_0590.jpg
    34.7 KB · Views: 69
  • DSC_0589.jpg
    DSC_0589.jpg
    72.5 KB · Views: 63
So along comes this thing, and I like it. I got the unbalanced version. It's heavy enough so the interconnects don't move it around, it sits flat where you put it, the knob has a nice solid feel and it is infinitely adjustable, unlike the volume button on the remote.

I have the volume on the preamp all the way up and I am using the knob for control, but I might turn the digital preamp off so to be sure I am not reducing bits at low volume. Anyway it sounds great and I think it is just what I needed. Thanks for the heads up!
Sounds like they use good pot. :D I also prefer a rotary knob to digital volume controls.

Just ordered the RCA version to test out with my Bifrost DAC and bypass the Acurus preamp and see how I like it. If I like it I'll also order the XLR version.
 
Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom