Help! - sure tda7498 amp board power supply question

Parts Express sells the same amp
http://www.parts-express.com/2x100w-tda7498-class-d-amplifier-board--320-303

They recommend "14 to 39 VDC, 6A regulated". So yeah, it should work.

Livin4, thanks for your reply and taking time to check, that info is the same I had and don't have a doubt as to if using the regulated power supply will work. My question is if I will benefit from maybe using a power supply board and toroidal transformer or another option, or basically that option is no better than using a regulated power supply, as recommended by PE.

Livin4, thanks for your reply and taking time to check, that info is the same I had and don't have a doubt as to if using the regulated power supply will work. My question is if I will benefit from maybe using a power supply board and toroidal transformer or another option, or basically that option is no better than using a regulated power supply, as recommended by PE.

Ah, see now, that is an entirely different can of worms. Opinions vary on which is better.

A switching power supply generates/regulates the output by rectifying and filtering the line voltage, and then varying its duty cycle to the switching transformer. This duty cycle (frequency) is very high and the low-pass filter on the output must block it. There is also a ripple voltage at the switching frequency and the harmonic frequencies thereof. This frequency will vary slightly as the load increases, so the filtering must account for it.
However a switching power supply is substantially more efficient, and highly regulated so the output voltage varies little, and they come in many different current ratings. They are also (relatively) light weight, only varying based on manufacturer and current rating. Some will also work on line voltages from 100-240V.

Where as using a toroidal transformer run through a rectifier, filtered, and regulated is not as efficient, there is only one frequency you need to filter, in the USA that is 60hz, in other country's it could be 50hz, or 60hz, depending on the country. You still have the problem of ripple voltage, and harmonic frequencies, but they remain constant, so theoretically easier to filter.
But to deliver high currents, the transformer must be large, and therefore heavy. Some can be used on different line voltages, but require changing the way the primary winding's are wired. And they are more expensive.

I usually refer to transformer power supply's as "brute force", as they force the power to what we want, and as a by product, use more energy to do it, and generate more heat. Switching power supply's sort of finesse the power to do what they want, so less heat, less waste energy.

What does all this mean? It means that both will work for your application, which will work better is up to personal choice. I prefer the brute force method.

Back
Top Bottom