Are there any young audiophiles out there?

greggleT

I am just wanting to know if I'm the only one at the age of 16 that is dumping all my money into powering up my vintage Hi-Fi setup in my mancave? I'm certainly quite the odd one out in my school as the only thing I like is classic rock, anything vintage, and a seeker of quality not cheap crap lol

you sound like you are more knowledgable of what you want from your setup than i am by choosing vintage over modern receivers. i'm 18 and have spent almost a grand on my audio experiences only to realize my system is crap x) owell that's what ebay and great return policies are for :D

i have dumped about $450 into speakers, TT, vinyl, etc. my system is crappy at the moment because my amplifier isn't a real HQ one...i cant really say im an audiophile too but am a pursuing audiophile though

$1350 has been dumped into my desktop system and headphone collection in the past four years. I'm 26.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Dumping dough

I dumped around $5 in my system when I was 15. Way back in 1957.
Best investment. Taught me to get what I wanted by building it.
Not so many hi-fi stuff. (yes, it used to be called hi-fi.)
Later years let me do more but now budget is tight and once again I must DIY to get anything.

Paul

When I grew up in the 50-60's most of my friends had a mancave of sorts. A bed room in the basement or attic away from the prying eyes of parents or siblings. Rarely visited by parents other than to yell up or down the stairs wake up, breakfast or whatever meal is ready or time to go to school. Usually paneled with real wood and semi darkly lit. If in the basement often the room was also off or adjacent to their parents party room with a bar and alcohol. :banana::banana::banana::banana::banana::banana::banana: A great situation for young teenage males. Me, I unfortunately had to live on the same floor as my folks next to them.

Last edited:
I'm 18. I will be taking my new and vintage gear with me to college. There's certainly a range of ages here on AK. Everything from people old enough to easily be your grandparents to younger than you.

My son has over $4k in used gear for a nice setup. 19 years old--prefers buying audio to cars and specifically car repairs/depreciation. Vintage 70's and 80's gear. He's very picky about things & has a good ear. But his contemporaries have nio idea about that kind of equipment. They think best buy is as good as it gets.

19 here, more equipment than I care to think of, the newest piece i've owned was from 1990. Vintage all the way!

You're not Alonge

29 here but it is never to late to become an audiophile!!

When i was 16 it was always about loudness, but a few years ago i was caught with the "quality virus" i guess u have to hear it before you can believe it!

A few years ago i get an Akai system for free from an uncle of mine, it was an Akai AM2450 amp with a AT2450 tuner and GXC706D cassette deck in a rack.
I almost sold it because i thought it was ugly and "not of this time" (the set is from 1989) And in my living room i have an Harman Kardon 5.1 set where i spend about 1500 euro's for.
But then i thought i will give the akai a chance on some random pioneer speakers (80watt don't know the model anymore) and i was amazed by the clarity of the sound! Much better than the "digital" sound era that i was in.
If you are in to loud bass this is nothing for u but if you like good sound quality this is everything.
I also bought a pickup and started playing records and they sound much better to me that the audio "now a days"

And ever since then it became viral and i spend lots of money to improve my system.

I find this thread really strange. I have been a rabid audiophile since Jr. High, and I have never even stopped to figure out what my system costs. Sure, I had to keep track when saving up for a particular item, but that's different. Once I got it, I forgot about anything to do with money.

Is this what the magazines have wrought? That somehow what you spend is what makes you an "audiophile" or proves you are one??? Growing up, many of the kids I knew with fancy stereos were the farthest things from audiophiles, while many of the most passionate audiophiles didn't even OWN a stereo.

-k

Depends what you consider young I guess. I was only 18 when I joined Audiokarma, but I've been a member for a while now.

22 here, been a member since I was 15. I've been an audiophile as long as I can remember-always in search of better sound.

I've spent....uhhh.....you don't want to know. However, totaling everything up, without adding in all the concerts and recording gigs I've had over the years, I've made $467 to date, between buying and selling.
This doesn't count cost of media purchases.

I also have entirely too much gear, but I enjoy it.

Here's a brief list of some of the nicest stuff:

HarmanKardon Citation II
Sony TAN-8550
Yamaha PC-5002M
Klipsch Chorus II
Lenco L75
Shure V15III (2)
MCI JH-110C
Ampex AG-440B
Technics RS-1500
Dynaco MkIII's
HH Scott 272
Focusrite Liquid Saffire 56
VPI 16.5
Pioneer PL-41
Fairchild 412
Pioneer CL-D703
Technics RS-1500
ElectroVoice Sentry 100A's

etc etc etc

Last edited:
I find this thread really strange. I have been a rabid audiophile since Jr. High, and I have never even stopped to figure out what my system costs. Sure, I had to keep track when saving up for a particular item, but that's different. Once I got it, I forgot about anything to do with money.

Is this what the magazines have wrought? That somehow what you spend is what makes you an "audiophile" or proves you are one??? Growing up, many of the kids I knew with fancy stereos were the farthest things from audiophiles, while many of the most passionate audiophiles didn't even OWN a stereo.

-k

you make a very valid point there, by no means does spending stacks of money on equipment demonstrate the determination and time that it takes to achieve audiophile state with beautiful sounding speakers.

Back
Top Bottom