Klipsch KG4's vs B&W DM330i

Argon66

Hi there .

I have a pair of B&W DM330i's that are being run by a vintage Sansui AU5900.

There are some Klipsch KG4's in near mint condition for sale about 2 hours away from my home, and was wondering if anyone has experience with these speakers and can provide some insight or comparative thoughts?

I am intrigued by the passion that many have for the Klipsch. Trying to decide wether I make the commitment to go check them out.

Any thoughts appreciated.

Thanks!

I have both KG4 and similar B&W - save your self the trouble of driving, and pass on them.

I prefer B&W.

Klipsch many talk about are the more expensive upper level ones, and they are hard to match (tube amps).

JBL, Usher, Paradigm Studio, ADS, etc are the ones to look into.

Happy hunting... but your speakers are fine ~ what do you not like about them?
...or do you just have the upgrade bug, and want to try something new ? (which is fun)

I really like KG4s. I just picked up another pair after selling my last set. They were my girlfriend's favorite speakers! I missed them too. Lol. They're so fun and upgradable. I can't say I have heard your speakers, but the Klipsch are very tube friendly.

Last edited:
I have both KG4 and similar B&W - save your self the trouble of driving, and pass on them.

I prefer B&W.

Klipsch many talk about are the more expensive upper level ones, and they are hard to match (tube amps).

JBL, Usher, Paradigm Studio, ADS, etc are the ones to look into.

Happy hunting... but your speakers are fine ~ what do you not like about them?
...or do you just have the upgrade bug, and want to try something new ? (which is fun)

Nothing wrong with the B&W's but am always looking for something different and interesting. Its a curse:yes:

Could use another set for my basement system...but was thinking with the buzz around the klipsch, they may even outperform the B&W's

Oh, and the Sansui is very "tube like" for those that have heard them...

Most of the Klipsch love is aimed at the "classic" Klipsch speakers, big horns mostly. The KG line is very nice, but it doesn't have the classic voicing. IMO its MUCH closer to the modern Klipsch sound.

The KG line was mostly the realm of Gary Gillum (Klipsch/Gillum or KG). Garry designed a lot of things with PWK. The Forte is a Gillum design. The KG4 is a very popular Klipsch loudspeaker and can very easily be upgraded by swapping over to the titanium tweeter diaphragm from Bob Crites. The crossover can also be upgraded and the poly switch can be removed. So long as you let your ears rule the volume control the poly switch is safely omitted for improved sonic quality in my opinion. You might try the 4.5 high frequency crossover section as it has a steeper slope offering more tweeter protection. You can also easily re tune the passive for lower bass response if you like. Hope this is of interest. Best regards Moray James.

Frequency Response: 38Hz-20kHz(+-)3dB
SENSITIVITY: 94dB @ 1watt/1meter
POWER HANDLING: 100 watts maximum continuous (500 watts peak)
NOMINAL IMPEDANCE: 6 ohms
TWEETER: K-74-K 1" (2.54cm) Phenolic dome compression driver
HIGH FREQUENCY HORN: 90(o)x40(o) Exponential Horn
WOOFER: Two K-8-K 8" (20.32cm) Poly ICG cone active / KD-12 12" (30.48cm) Fiber-composite cone passive
ENCLOSURE MATERIAL: Medium density fiberboard construction (MDF)
ENCLOSURE TYPE: Bass reflex via passive radiator
DIMENSIONS: 24.25" (61.6cm) x 15.75" (40cm) x 10.75" (27.3cm)
WEIGHT: 40 lbs. (18.2kg)
FINISHES: Walnut Oil, Oak Oil, Finished Black
Built From: 1985
BUILT UNTIL: 1992

Last edited:
Lots of good input. I have read they some of the upgrades can make a noticeable improve my.

For those that have heard the B&w's and kg4's I am curious what the differences may be.

I have B&W DM100i, DM303, DM620, DM602 etc... and KG4's but only had DM303 and DM602 at the same time.
Didn't compare DM303 as they were small bookshelf but I preferred DM602 over KG4's.
B&W is more balanced while KG4's sounded noisy.

IMHO you really have to hear horns and experience them to know if you like them or not.

Also - at least for me - Horns do require some EQ to tame a few trouble spots. I *dont* like un-eq'd horns... but with tweaks I like them very much.

Then again, I'm not a purist and I happily EQ / room tune as needed.

I owned them both, and had both in rotation over a period of years. The B&W are very nice speakers. Very.

But when it came time to downsize, the B&W's went, and the KG-4's stayed.

As always, ymmv.

If the KG4s are reasonably priced try them. They hold their value so you won't take a loss if you don't care for them.

cubdog

I owned them both, and had both in rotation over a period of years. The B&W are very nice speakers. Very.

But when it came time to downsize, the B&W's went, and the KG-4's stayed.

As always, ymmv.

Hi Fisherdude.

So the B&W's you liked a lot more....were more refined?

You let them go as they were taller / bigger?

If the KG4s are reasonably priced try them. They hold their value so you won't take a loss if you don't care for them.

cubdog
Good advice I think. I have a pair of KG4s and also a couple of B&Ws. I prefer the B&Ws for most of my listening, but the Klipsche do have their virtues. It really all depends on what you're powering them with and the sound you're seeking.

Frankenstein KG4s

I blew up a horn on mine, and replaced it with a Heil AMT tweeter just for kicks. These are now my main speakers, and sound terrific.:banana:

I have a pair of KG4's that are all original and find them to be a very satisfying speaker. I have never had any similar sized B&W speakers to compare them too so I can only give you my thumbs up for the KG4's

Well I checked them out. I could not a/b them, but here are my initial thoughts.

They seem to have more low end and punch, but not in a boomy way. I expected the horns to be a little harsh, but werent at all.

With that said, I think the B&W's are more detailed in the highs and mids. In fact sometimes the B&W's seem too bright..especially if on axis.

Since the Klipsch are so "upgradeable" with titanium tweeters new crossovers,
they might well be a fine addition. Would be interesting to hear them raised of floor too...or are they meant to be on floor?

I could use a new set of speakers for my other system, so may pull the trigger and have them battle it out for top spot.

Has anyone noticed a big improvement with the upgrades I mentioned...or is it marginal at best?

More thoughts welcome :)

Well I checked them out. I could not a/b them, but here are my initial thoughts.

They seem to have more low end and punch, but not in a boomy way. I expected the horns to be a little harsh, but werent at all.

With that said, I think the B&W's are more detailed in the highs and mids. In fact sometimes the B&W's seem too bright..especially if on axis.

Since the Klipsch are so "upgradeable" with titanium tweeters new crossovers,
they might well be a fine addition. Would be interesting to hear them raised of floor too...or are they meant to be on floor?

I could use a new set of speakers for my other system, so may pull the trigger and have them battle it out for top spot.

Has anyone noticed a big improvement with the upgrades I mentioned...or is it marginal at best?

More thoughts welcome :)
I ditched the stands on my KG4s and raised them up to a "normal" listening height. Much better to my ears. Maybe the low position works ok in a bigger room, but I've never had mine in such a space to find out. I have no idea why Klipsche thinks that having the treble drivers at knee level is a good idea? Maybe the dispersion pattern is supposed to be be such that this works, but not for my ears. I haven't tried any of the Crites upgrades etc. but I'm not convinced they suit my listening tastes enough in general to be worth the expense.

In an interesting sidenote: my B&W DM14s came with factory stands that place the tweeters lower relative to a seated listening position than I would normally have thought best. It works out perfectly. I guess the designers knew what they were doing.

Back
Top Bottom