Technics Overhang Gauge

filmguerilla

Hello!

Sorry if this was posted before. I just got my Technics overhang gauge from the auction site. I will be using it for my Audio Technica ATLP-120 with the stock cartridge. I'm planning on getting a new cart soon so i decided to get one. I have some questions. When i'm trying to align na tip of the styli to the gauge tip the styli is a bit misaligned in the center. Is this normal? I saw this video on Youtube and we have the same problem. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6hrnS1Y8Z2M

Should i align the styli to the center? Doing this the cartridge is not centered on the headshell. It's kinda weird.

Last question. Should i align the tip of the styli to the gauge or the tip of cantilever?

Thank you!!!

They're always bent a little, so don't worry about centering it. Just align the tip of the diamond with the edge of the gauge. You can use a straightedge (ie: a razor blade) to make sure it lines up.

technics_overhanggauge.jpg

Thanks! I was trying to center it a while ago and spent almost an hour working on it! :banana:

They're always bent a little, so don't worry about centering it. Just align the tip of the diamond with the edge of the gauge. You can use a straightedge (ie: a razor blade) to make sure it lines up.

technics_overhanggauge.jpg

It's an overhang gauge. Do the following:
1. Set the cartridge square in the headshell
2. Set the stylus tip at the overhang gauge edge
3. Repeat until 1. and 2. are both true

Last edited:
Sorry, kinda confused. What do you mean by the cartridge square in the headshell? :D

It's an overhang gauge. Do the following:
1. Set the cartridge square in the headshell
2. Set the stylus tip at the overhang gauge edge
3. Repeat until 1. and 2. are both true

It's not very accurate, better off using a real protractor/alignment template to get a more accurate alignment,

http://conradhoffman.com/chsw.htm

Nah, it's fine. I used one for years when I had a Technics, and never had tracking error problems. We're not talking about setting up a $50,000 turntable with a $10,000 cartridge, it will work just fine. There's no need to make things more difficult.

:thmbsp::thmbsp::thmbsp:

Nah, it's fine. I used one for years when I had a Technics, and never had tracking error problems. We're not talking about setting up a $50,000 turntable with a $10,000 cartridge, it will work just fine. There's no need to make things more difficult.

Beatcomber is your friend. listen to him.

Update:

Now my ATLP120 sound much better i think :D Mid and high are much cleaner and i can't hear innergroove distortion. :D

Last edited:
If you have a technics table then the technics tool is ideal. Before I got mine I futzed with that protractor from Vinyl Engine and almost went nuts. Couldn't get anything aligned. That
Iittle $5 piece of plastic was a Godsend. Used it for Ortofon blue and bronze on my technics table and threw away the protractor

Sent from my BNTV400 using Tapatalk

Thanks again guys! I think i like this better than the first overhang i set up for my cart. I think the old setup is 2-4mm shorter from 52mm.. Although it sounds good but this one i think is better.

Back
Top Bottom