Electro Voice Regency

doucanoe

Registered Audio Abuser
I have been, and always am looking for large vintage cabinets for speaker projects.

Last Saturday, I stopped at a place in town that specializes in guitar amps (vintage rebuilds) to see what they thought of my Silvertone. While talking to a few of the guys there I spied a nice EV Regency cab. in the corner and asked them about it. I was told that he actually had three more (1-blond, 3-mahogany) and would let them go for a song if I was interested.

Well, seeing as how my whole basement audio area is completly full and I dont have room in the garage for (4) large cabinets or course I said YES. :D

He is going to deliver them next week. My question is this, I want to replace one set to original but had anyone tried a EV full range driver in one of these. I would think that installing a SP15 or 15TRX might sound nice in these large cabs.

Just curious/RC

doucanoe said:
Well, seeing as how my whole basement audio area is completly full and I dont have room in the garage for (4) large cabinets or course I said YES. :D

Good man :thmbsp:

They are held in quite some regard, and were designed for the ilk of the EV drivers you mentioned (or maybe vice versa). How can you go wrong?

http://www.hifilit.com/hifilit/Electro-Voice/Electro-Voice.htm

117-10.jpg

It seems that way Mark, but the only ones that I have seen had the 3-way setup drivers in them. I have access to the woofers and T-35 tweeters and have a pair of 8HD horns and drivers on hand. All I would need are the x-overs and I would be in business. The 8HD's would not be my first choice but I own them.

I also have a pair of SP15B's for a trial run but would like to find the TRX's. If you know of available pair or a nice pair of SP15B's keep me in mind.

They should be fun to refinish. Now if I only had a place to put them. :D

RC

I had a single one. By itself it beat practically any stereo I had heard at the time. I was very much into the transparency and uncolored thing at that point, but was stunned at how lively and fun it was. Lucky you -- though the triaxial arrangement won't be as nice as the full set up, which is what I had.

Nat, thats why I was curious about comparisons with the co-ax/tri-ax drivers. I personally dont feel it necessary to do these up original but it would be nice. I think that collectors would be looking for that but Im not a "collector" as such, just a collector of gear that sounds good to me. Its not like a Mac tube amp with non-Mac transformers and a after market chassis.

Should be a fun project but Im not sure where Im going to put them. Maybe banded together and duct taped to the top of my car ala the Blues Brothers. Now that would be classy :D

RC

RC, bring them over here! I could store them for you if you need the space. They may get a little dusty from the shop, but do have plenty of room down there.

I think banded together and placed on the roof of the house would be more fun. You could rock the neighborhood.

G

Thanks for the offer Gary, I just might NEED to take you up on it.

By the way, I saw your Pilot yesterday. Its looking very good and sounding sweet also. Whoops, I wasnt supposed to say anything. :D Its not done yet but I have a feeling It will be soon. (Dont tell Dave I said so)

RC

Don't tease me like that.......

If you need the space you're more than welcome to bring them here. I'm sure we could get them refinished quickly and you could just leave a pair here when they are done (hahahahaha).

G

Well, here they are.
The two nice mahogany cabs shown are going to get the SP15's and the blond and other cheaper mahogany are going to Garys for stacking with some misc. speakers I have kicking around. :D

Check out the "Art Deco" grill cloth on the extra Mahoganys! Fancy ain't it.

RC

Last edited:
They should be fun Mark, I one cab is horn loaded and the other bass reflex. After pulling the back on the BR and the front on the HL to investigate, it should be a easy modification to make the horn loaded cab back into a bass reflex. the side porting is the same on both with the exception of a couple more plywood pieces that create the horn cavity.

The Blondie is a horn and the art deco grilled number is bass reflex. Too bad these were not sold in pairs more often or it might of made my job easier.

What would you think of the idea of adding custom painted 811's or 511's to the tops of the cabs. Oh the horror...........

RC

I thought we were going to hang them from the ceiling angled down so the highs will just float down from above.

I'm working on the bump out of the wall to fit them in as we speak.

Gary

I like that plan Gary, Built-in Regency cabinets would be a nice touch. It would truly be the wall of sound.

RC

Back
Top Bottom