Fisher XP-15B speakers anyone familiar?

HVHiFI

Hudson Valley HiFI
Sponsor
I have an opportunity to buy a pair of these, one owner, absolutely mint. I'm sure a refoaming is in order just from age. Any idea of value? They are big and heavy ~80lbs a piece.

You can find a lot of info on the Fisher speakers at this link:

http://www.audiokarma.org/forums/showthread.php?t=479002

I'm in the midst of finishing up a pair of XP-55's from the same era. They're a little soft on the top end, and I don't expect much bass from my 8" woofer, but it does really well making violins sound like they're made of wood instead of broken glass.

The XP-15B used a 15" woofer, an 8" (!) midrange, and a dome tweeter (apparently a weak point on reliability).

Most Fisher speakers of these era used treated rolled cloth surrounds, and not foam. The good news is that you won't have crumbling foam, but the treatment on the cloth surrounds has likely flaked away, leaving a surround that is no longer airtight. I used some sealant that I bought on e*ay from "vintage-AR" that worked pretty well; after a several coats and month of waiting, it's still flexible and tacky.

Last edited:
Thanks for the link! They are a serious piece of furniture speaker aside. I love of look of them and would like to buy em. What do you offer for something like these? They're not the best sounding from a consensus I see but with my Fisher 400 would really be neat to hear what Avery intended. Not having an asking price can actually be tough. I don't want to insult but at the same time not looking to pay too much.

There's something to be said for a matchup like that. I'd expect anywhere from $150-$400, but that's just what my gut says, all depending on all drivers working. A recap and seal the surrounds, then a coat of feed-n-wax, and you're golden!

Yeah man, they made some beautiful cabinets, I'd love to get a set to match my console, but sonically?? Not so much. Maybe you can slide a Dynaco A25 inside of it or something :)

Back
Top Bottom