• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

What if....VPI Classic vs Yamaha GT-2000

jblnut

Don't Overthink It
So, I find myself at a crossroads....

I am 2 years into ownership of a beautiful VPI Classic and for a variety of reasons, I find myself listening to the PX-2 far more. There's nothing really wrong with the VPI and it's a really nice table, but I guess it just doesn't push my buttons if you know what I mean. I find myself frequently looking at HiFiDo and thinking..."hmm...I could sell the VPI and basically trade even-up for a GT-2000". I've always been attracted to the unobtanium (in the US) GT2K and prices seem to be pretty stable at the moment. It looks every bit as cool (maybe even more) than the VPI and by all accounts it's a stellar performer.

My head (logic) says keep the VPI. It will last forever and it's a great performer.

My heart (emotion) says get the Yamaha. They'll never make anything like that again and it may well out perform the VPI. But if it breaks (not likely I know)...I'd be SOL.

I'd like to get any thoughts you're willing to share on this. I'm sure that no one has heard both side by side, but any informed opinions are welcome.

The cart used is an AT OC9/II and the pre is a Pass Labs Xono.

jblnut
 
Register to hide this ad
That is the rub with vintage tables. Very cool nostalgia feel, but the higher end ones, if they die they die. I would go with what you want. If the VPI is spending more time on the sidelines, then move it out. I would love to have that Yamaha, the VPI? Well, they are nice, but I don't "Lust" after them. A lot of people do and I respect that.
 
I was feeling like this last year with my Scout - it sounded great, but I wasn't feeling it aesthetically. At the same time, I was worried about getting something with lots of irreplaceable electronics, so I went down the vintage idler route. I figure they may not spec out as well as the direct drives, but they have the feel I wanted and they certainly aren't depreciating these days.

At the end of the day, I'm sure your Classic bests my 301 in many areas, but not enough to make me want to trade. The only thing that has piqued my interest in terms of sound and visuals is the Oracle Delphi, but no way do I want to go through that set up process.
 
That is the rub with vintage tables. Very cool nostalgia feel, but the higher end ones, if they die they die. I would go with what you want. If the VPI is spending more time on the sidelines, then move it out. I would love to have that Yamaha, the VPI? Well, they are nice, but I don't "Lust" after them. A lot of people do and I respect that.

Good advice

And...the hep cat's back! :banana:

Jon
 
That is the rub with vintage tables. Very cool nostalgia feel, but the higher end ones, if they die they die.

That's the reason why I would keep the VPI! I would get a better cartridge for the VPI. Lyra Delos is the cartridge that matches the quality of the Classic. That's why your not getting that "Wow" factor, IMO.
 
That thought had occurred to me. I do have a hard time shelling out that much for a "wear" item though and my previous experience with a higher-end cart (Denon DL-S1) on this table wasn't positive. That said I'm sure the Lyra would be a stellar performer if what I've read about it is true.

But now we're no longer in a zero-sum situation, which is where I started. I need to hear more from the "Table matters more than Cartridge" camp on this one. Would the existing cart and preamp have more to give with the GT2K ? That's the question...

jblnut
 
That's strange to hear that you didn't like the Denon DL-S1. That's another cartridge that gets really good reviews. Another good cartridge is the Dynavector 20x2.
 
It was bought used from another AK member (who I presume also didn't care for it) so it's possible it wasn't 100%. I ended up buying the Xono just to deal with its low output and peculiar impedance needs and even with what is considered one of the best phono pre's out there, I didn't care for the result. It was always "thin" - bass was lacking and certain high frequencies were too shrill. On certain records it was magic though and boy could it track! Overall, it was too much fiddling and not enough listening. Some in this hobby love to fiddle and tweak and that's great. I'm not that into the "pursuit" any more and I just want it to sound good.

jblnut
 
It was bought used from another AK member (who I presume also didn't care for it) so it's possible it wasn't 100%. I ended up buying the Xono just to deal with its low output and peculiar impedance needs and even with what is considered one of the best phono pre's out there, I didn't care for the result. It was always "thin" - bass was lacking and certain high frequencies were too shrill. On certain records it was magic though and boy could it track! Overall, it was too much fiddling and not enough listening. Some in this hobby love to fiddle and tweak and that's great. I'm not that into the "pursuit" any more and I just want it to sound good.

jblnut

Denon cartridges have really nice bass. I have a DL-301 MKII and that cartridge really has nice deep rich bass. I have a Cambridge 640P phono preamp, nothing close to the excellent quality of your Pass Labs. Both the DL-S1 & OC9/II should really sound nice with your phono preamp!
 
Good advice

And...the hep cat's back! :banana:

Jon

Along with the legendary Ak'er "Tentoze" avatar, this one needs to stay. :yes:


OK ok, Hip Cat will be staying for the long term:thmbsp: And Tentoze avatar always made me take a gulp of air:ntwrthy:


As to high end carts, the reason for the many choices is that we all hear different. I have heard high end carts that I fell in love with. Others I thought...It's ok.

As to the tables, if the VPI is sitting, and the OP is using the PX-2 (A very nice table in it's own right) I would move the VPI out. The back up is there with the PX-2. But, that is of course JMHO:yes:
 
You need to have a talk with AK member Ken Wood Jr. Check his comments on the GT 2000 that he owns vs the VPI Classic 2 that he owns:

http://www.audiokarma.org/forums/group.php?do=discuss&group=&
discussionid=266

Ken is a VPI dealer. The GT 2000 has been out of production for nearly 30 years, so he isn't shilling.

I'm getting this response clicking the link.

So in a nutshell....What does he say?

Response:

Invalid Social Group specified. If you followed a valid link, please notify the administrator
 
I do remember that thread - thanks Theo!

Kermit - the link gets cutoff when you click it - add "discussionid=266" in your browser window to the end of the first line URL.

jblnut
 
To me at least, decisions in this hobby should come from the heart. This is how I relax, restore, so I want the experience to make me HAPPY.

If the VPI (VERY nice TT BTW) doesn't make you as happy as the Yamaha, then the answer is clear.

Heck, if the VPI didn't make you as happy as a BSR with a 10" platter, I'd say the same.
 
Yamaha may once upon a time known how to make electronics, but they never conquered anything that had a motor in it. that's DVD players, CD Players, cassette record/players and turntables. They never met specs and all of them failed. We sold a 10 tons of the stuff and threw twenty tons in the trash can over the 30 years we handled the line. I'll take Pioneer or Technics ,(Teac or Tascam) any time and only the Sp-10 MK II or III really impressed me. You could do more by upgrading your VPI. Heavier platter, motor with the auxiliary fly wheel, Isolation feet from the HRX, ring clamp, and maybe a Dynavextor HO moving coil cartridge.
 
Then there is the speed control. And maybe you'll want to add the epoxy computer generated tone arm.
 
To me at least, decisions in this hobby should come from the heart. This is how I relax, restore, so I want the experience to make me HAPPY.

If the VPI (VERY nice TT BTW) doesn't make you as happy as the Yamaha, then the answer is clear.

Heck, if the VPI didn't make you as happy as a BSR with a 10" platter, I'd say the same.

What a great outlook ! It sure makes things simpler , doesn't it ?
 
Back
Top Bottom