Grover Cable - My first experience with great cables

Bigerik

AK Subscriber
Subscriber
Thought I would post my recent experiences with cables to get us started.
I had always thought that it made sense to have a quality interconnect or speaker wire carrying the signal between my components, but I really didn't think it would make a huge difference. The most I had ever paid for interconnects was about $100 for a pair of Kimber PBJ's. Ran them for about 10 years, and was not unahppy with them. Just did not think about it very much. I had made a pair myself using Canare wire and some quality connectors. Compared the two, but I never really noticed a huge difference.

At the AK Toronto meet, Gary P brought along some interconnects for us to have a listen to. To be honest, I figured we were just gonna humour him and try them, but I certainly was not expecting any big difference. Gary was looking pretty smug through all of this, like he knew what was gonna happen. Anyway, plugged them in, started up the same track we had been listening to and the difference was huge! I was walking back to my seat when I heard it. Everything smoothed right out. Imaging got better and smoother. Some brightness and roughness that we had been hearing in the highs just went away. I couldn't believe the difference. Put the PBJ's back in, and the harshness was back. Swapped them out, and it all became easier to listen to. Shelby 1420 was sitting beside me and he heard the same things. My friend John, LONG time audio guy and a real experienced tech, heard the same thing too. Of course, Gary was looking even more smug. What he brought with him were the little known, but obviously great quality, Grover Wires. I am sure Gary can chime in with some more detail on them sometime soon.
Just to make sure that I was not imaging things, I ran them by she who must be obeyed, without telling her what I had done. Her first question was 'What did you do to the system? It sounds so much better!" Now, she really had no clue that I was even doing anything with the interconnects, but she, who is a lifelong singer and has perfect pitch, heard it immediately. She told me in no uncertain terms that the interconnects were staying! :)
What was the first cable you heard that really made a great difference in your system?

Good read Erik.

My first eye opener, once my associated gear became refined enough - MIT Terminator 5 series interconnects and speaker cables. I had always believed the best connection was a good one, so I never used 'stock' cables. The MIT were the first time I had heard a difference for myself at the listening chair.

Everything has only gotten better since.

Cheers,
Russ

Erik,

What's the pricing run on these interconnects?

Are they going to be in the demo program?

Thanks!
Scott

Demo program? What's that?

Sometimes I'm so "out of it" it ain't funny!

Yes, folks, these are pure silver interconnects hand made by a guy called Grover in California. They're called Silver Reference.

They're shocking if you believe that all interconnects sound the same. ;)

Sorry, I only have one set of Grover SR speaker cables - and they are not leaving my system. :)

The SR cables are $75.00 USD + shipping for a one meter pair. I've paid more for other interconnects ($300.00 CAD for van den hul interconnects).

History: Grover first started out with "Grover" interconnects, Grover MK1, MK2 and MK3. Then he came up with Silver Reference 1 and Silver Reference 2. The SR2's were noticible improved over the SR1's. Then came the Ultimate Reference. The current version is the "UR6. " and is supposed to be amazing. It's a combination of Silver and Copper. I'm waiting for mine to arrive.

I don't believe the SR's are shielded. It negatively affects the sound.

There is a LARGE difference between Grover MK1, MK2 MK3 and Silver Reference 1 / SR2. And another LARGE difference between the SR series and the UR series.

Grover has a group of friends that he tests out his wires on. Thus there are always little upgrades.

Warning: These are made by hand. There is a loooong wait list (typically two months!!!)

Any more questions?

PS When you order the UR interconnects, you automatically get the latest version - which is called UR6. (four digits - U R 6 . ). I have no idea why they are not called UR6.0 or UR6.1 - they're just called UR6. for some reason.

Must be a California thing.... :DThe URs are $150.00 USD plus shipping.

Shipping is typically $5.00 but don't quote me on that - I am NOT Grover!

Last edited:
I've been aware of the plusses and minus's of cable for well over 20 years. The first "cable" that I ever heard a difference with that was verified by others, were my own. They were a set of speaker cables fasioned after the "Space and Time" cables. I then tried some custom IC's, ofc, teflon insulation, and yes they made a difference, but, admittedly, very little. I'm stll using them after 20+ years. Recently I bought a pair of the Speltz "anti-cables". These were a god send! There was no doubt about it, they removed a what sounded like a BLANKET from my speakers! Yes, it was that drastic.
Now I know we have many here that poo poo all this stuff, but IMO the reason many listeners do not hear a difference on some, but not all, of these cables, is the lack of micro-detail of the speakers. I also agree there is alot of snake oil out there, and no,I wont buy cables over 100.00 a pair :thumbsdn:
I would welome any cables for evaluation. Sounds like alot of fun. :thmbsp:

My system:

Amp: Bedini 150/150 mk II upgraded in 2003
Pre: Luxman C-02 (poor mans CJ)
CD: Marantz SA-8260
Speakers: Apogee Duetta II w/modded crossover (very similar to the sig)

If I can get a set of interconnects in place that the wife won't complain about, I'll be happy to lend these guys out for trial. Be interesting to see how these work in other systems. In mine, with 2 different CD players, they have worked great.

Hey, don't forget that I have a spare set, Bigerik! Don't want a negative WAF at your place.....

I'm willing to send them around the country / North America / whatever. I think I'd prefer to post the thread myself about the Grover SR interconnects. Just so I know where they are going (since they'll remain my property) and I'd like to set out some advice on how to handle them.

Is that ok?

Gary, sounds great! This is a fantastic way for people to "try before buy"! :thmbsp:

BTW I am in the market for new IC's.

GaryP said:
Hey, don't forget that I have a spare set, Bigerik! Don't want a negative WAF at your place.....

I'm willing to send them around the country / North America / whatever. I think I'd prefer to post the thread myself about the Grover SR interconnects. Just so I know where they are going (since they'll remain my property) and I'd like to set out some advice on how to handle them.

Is that ok?

Gary, those are your property, so that would be up to you how you handled that.

Gary, I'll be handling the demo threads, and the list of demos and who has what will be in plain view for all to see, and updated realtime. That being said, I will certainly be open to, and use your input in said thread - but in the interest of keeping things organized and simple, we aren't going to have individual member threads for demos.

If you want to put them in the program, email me directly ranchodeaudio@comcast.net and we'll get them in there. At any time you want to pull the plug so to speak, say the word and I will see that they are returned to you ASAP.

Last edited:
Ok, sounds fair.

One problem you may run into is that Grover is so far behind (they're made by hand) that we may wait quite a while for a demo pair. And if Grover has orders waiting, a demo pair might end up at the end of the list of orders....

On the other hand, there are quite a few other interconnects and wire out there to play with!

But you're the boss! :)

I have tried his original ones, have a pair of the SRII's and a couple of pairs of the UR5's i think...I bought them all used...

Excellent cables, and the fact that no one mentioned yet, is that he uses old style vintage RCA ends, so they fit nicely with vintage gear, which have the RCA's at kissing distance of each other.

What I'm saying guys, if someone has an extra set of ANYTHING they would like to donate (to be returned at a later date), email me, and I will get with you, to get them from you, and update the demo threads accordingly.

The more the merrier, as I said. ;)

Back
Top Bottom