Budget Preamp w/Built-In MC Stage?

winegasman

Greetings and thanks in advance for all thoughtful opinions! I'm putting together a new 2-channel system and now need a preamp to complete the package. The primary source will be a Thorens TD-320 with Denon DL-103R; I'll play CDs as well, but the line stage capability of the preamp will not be as important as the phono stage. The power amp will be an ATI 1502, which will put out about 220 wpc into the 4-ohm GMA Continuum-1's I picked up on a'gon. (Actually picked up the ATI there as well!)

Now my budget is $250-300, which I know is tiny and inconsequential, but, well, that's it for now, so my choice is likely to be limited to vintage solid state. Some of you audiokarma guys have convinced me to consider one of the older Yamaha preamps in the C and CX series. The other model I've read good things about is the B&K Pro-10MC.

Has anyone heard these units and have thoughts about how they compare? Are there other candidates I should know about? Over at a'gon someone has recommended a Nakamichi CA-5 and someone else has recommended an Adcom GFP-555. I just want the best MC sound possible within my budget. I'd love a tube unit, but that's not happening within my budget. I don't care whether it has a remote or not -- I'm looking purely for the best phono sound possible in a single-full-function preamp.

Thanks for all help, Rich

Welcome to AK. Vintage Yamaha preamps (C-2/2a/2x/80/70/85/65) all have terrific MC phono stages and are very high quality. Prices range from under $100 for the C-65 to several 100$$. People will buy them and use only as a phono stage as they are not remote capable. The newer Yamaha preamps (CX-1000/800/1/2) are all remote capable and also have terrific MC phono stages. Prices generally range from $2-600. Here is a thread that covers same. http://audiokarma.org/forums/showthread.php?t=60395&highlight=C-2x

Last edited:
I'd second the Yamaha pre-amp family. I just bought a cosmetically challenged, but sonically and functionally excellent Yammie C-60 from the original owner on the auction site with no name for $38, including shipping. That's "budget." It has MC stage at two settings (1 X ohm, and 1000). Yamaha phono stages are very clean.

Thanks guys. Yamaha B-2 thanks for the welcome. I first learned to consider the Yamaha units while reading this site, especially this vintage solid state forum. But, of course, you guys are a bit baised, right?! So I'm wondering if anyone's also listened to or owned the other budget preamps I mentioned (Adcom GFP-555 or 565, B&K Pro-10MC, or others) and have then preferred the Yamaha units? Thanks again.

Anyone? Someone at a'gon has high marks for the Nakamichi CA-5. How does this compare with the Yamaha C's and CX's? I do appreciate the help. Thanks.

I own a CA-5 and use it daily. I have owned all sorts of Yammies both integrated and C-series stand-alones and can say I've never met a Yamaha phono stage I didn't like. I prefer the CA-5, however, largely because of convenience. It has two phono inputs switchable to MC/MM. I run my Heybrook w/ a MC, and my Systemdek wsith a MM out of the same preamp. It's a Nelson Pass design and I think it shows its pedigree. OTOH, many folks over at the other place seem to have a field day dissing the CA-5, though I confess I can't understand why.

Luxman made a few preamps that feature MC and MM phono sections. I'm using a C-120a which features both. I've not heard that MC section, but I assume that it is very high quality.

Prices for the C-120a should be in your range.

Rich

CortR said:
I own a CA-5 and use it daily. I have owned all sorts of Yammies both integrated and C-series stand-alones and can say I've never met a Yamaha phono stage I didn't like. I prefer the CA-5, however, largely because of convenience. It has two phono inputs switchable to MC/MM. I run my Heybrook w/ a MC, and my Systemdek wsith a MM out of the same preamp. It's a Nelson Pass design and I think it shows its pedigree. OTOH, many folks over at the other place seem to have a field day dissing the CA-5, though I confess I can't understand why.
All of the vintage Yamaha preamps mentioned above have dual phono inputs and several have dual preamp outputs. The dual inputs allow for exactly what you have described, running one TT with an MM and a second with an MC. Several of them also have dual preamp outs, allowing for bi-amping directly from the preamp.

The absolute best value in a fine preamp with an EXCELLENT phono section is the Kenwood Basic C2 preamp. You really will not do much better unless you want to spend some money.
Yeah, I've got a couple Yamaha preamps, TOTL models, and they certainly are excellent preamps that deliver the goods.
Heck, for your suggested budget (really much more than many of those mentioned) you should look for the Yamaha C-80 or C-85.
But if you find a C2, get it and don't look back.

bully said:
Couple of C2's and a C1 (kenwood's) on eBay right now. probably an exceptional buy for a smart buyer.

What is the difference between the c1 and c2?????? Just wondering.......

THANKS!!

Mike :thmbsp:

Attachments

• x-10.jpg
    x-10.jpg
    35.6 KB · Views: 28
The C2 provides a couple of crossover points for the tone controls. Else, for all I know (never had a C1 but have seen pictures) they are the same. They are simply amazing preamps for the money. The two now on eBay will be super buys for someone, and the C1, too. Very full featured phono section. Just an excellent phono section, I can't recommend the C2 enough.

I"ve got the Kenwood C2 and it is better than my HK Citation Twenty One. I agree that it is the best bang for the buck phono section to be had for the $$$.

The Apt Holman is a nice unit too.

C-60 is problery the best budget Yamaha pre, it cost the dobble of the C-65 (I dont know the Kenwood Basic C2). Otherwice B-2 put it on the spot.

bully, the C-2 is not in the leuage with the C-1. Not at all.

Last edited:
what c-2 and c-1?? the yamaha C-2x is the best they made. the kenwood basic c2 (no hypen) is a great preamp for the money, i suspect the c1 has similar sound less a bell & whistle.
I would strongly recommend the Kenwood Basic models, but agree that the Yamaha are great gear. Caveat I only know their TOTL models.
$100 for a TOTL Kenwood c2 is a good deal. PRobably a good deal on a yamaha, too. spend the rest of your budget on music. :D

The C2 is a really very fine preamp. For $100 cannot be beat, even by the Yamaha, I think. The C2 phono section is as good as it gets. Even my new C-2x and the Lux C-383 only compare well with it. It is my standard of comparison. Can't recommend it highly enough. The Luxman is about $300 or so, and I'm not sure about the C-2x, I jumped on a fresh BIN for a huge bargain.
Between the 1995 C-383 and the 1985 C-2x the phono sections are a tossup, though they are facing different carts, the C-383 has the SL-1400Mk2 with a MC Ortofon MC-10, and the C-2x a DP-47F with a MM Signet.
Ceedee players, well they're a wash. Haven't tried cassettes, yet, but the AD-S750 is a Dolby S deck, made to better standards than non-Dolby 2 decks, but the JVC TD-R441 is an excellent deck, too. I've got quite a few metal tape tunes. Most are recorded on the Aiwa, of course, in Dolby S.
For $350 both the C-383 & C-2x would be a great deal. Of course, for $100 or less the Kenwood Basic C2 can't be beat. And I am a Yamaha kind of guy.

Back
Top Bottom