• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

A good amp to drive my AR3a's

Lorenzo47

Super Member
I'm contemplating a new integrated amplifier, or preamp and power amplifier, or a receiver to drive my AR3a speakers.

I'm asking for recommendations and suggestions please.
 
Register to hide this ad
you want vintage or newer?I drove my AR9'S,AR3a's and AR2ax's all with Harmon kardon dual mono amps with great success.@ 180 wpc and big dampening factor those dual transformer amps will eck out the best from the AR speakers.
 
I have some space considerations due to the fact that my wife has a strong interest in what my listening room looks like! It would be great to use an American made amp, my analog chain be be basically all American then. I had a buddy that drove his 3a's with tubed McIntosh that I recall sounded great - but I heard that setup a lifetime ago - almost! I'm currently using what I believe to be a Chinese made Harman-Kardon receiver that puts out at least 100w/ch. The beast is going South, the phono stage is already gone.
 
I' too, had a buddy who drove his AR3s with McIntosh. Specifically, he has an Mc275. And it was a lifetime ago in my case, as well. My recollection was that it sounded a bit too tubby--though to be fair, he had his speakers on the floor and near the corners. Remembering how that sounded makes me want to suggest trying a solid state amp--one that has good low-end control over the woofers. And, of course, AR-3s, like most other speakers, should probably be on stands and placed somewhat away from side and rear walls.
 
I'm using a modern Marantz PM11S2 integrated on my newly restored AR3as, and it sounds great. The amp is rated at 220w/ch into 4 ohms, double the 8 ohm rating, so it has plenty of current.
 
you want vintage or newer?I drove my AR9'S,AR3a's and AR2ax's all with Harmon kardon dual mono amps with great success.@ 180 wpc and big dampening factor those dual transformer amps will eck out the best from the AR speakers.

What HK dual mono amps have 180 wpc? You're not talking about the x30 series, right?
 
The used Bryston 4B driving my AR3a's is delivering great sound (or is it just those fantastic speakers?) from a Marantz 2245 preamp/tuner section. At 20+ years old, the 400W @ 4 ohm amp is the newest part of the system. Very happy with it for around $600.
 
The AR3a's have been my holy grail since the start in the 60's with the AR3 speakers. They have two issues, low efficiency and low impedance, that presented a difficult load for an amp. The AR amplifier was rated at 50 watts at 8 ohms and 60 watts at 4 ohms. When the AR amp was tested by reviewers, they found that The amp really put out about 90 watts per channel. That amp worked perfectly with the 3's and 3a's.

Today, the integrated amplifier that I would consider a close match for the original AR amplifier would be the Rogue Sphinx amplifier selling for around $1,200.

I also feel that The Yamaha A-S500 integrated amplifier, with a selector switch for low impedance speakers and rated at over 100 watts per channel at 4 ohms impedance would also be an excellent partner for the AR 3 or 3a speakers.
 
Last edited:
I should mention that I once owned an AR amp and I liked the sound of the speakers with that amp. It went bad at one point and I didn't get it repaired and it was lost somehow (don't quite remember) I am currently using a H-K receiver that specs at 150w per into 4 ohms. It too is going bad. The phono section is already gone. I bought it used and I'm pretty sure it's Chinese made.
 
McIntosh MC 2100 or MC 2105 and a C-26 preamplifier drive AR 3 fine. They are a 4 ohm load and really need 100-150 WPC high current to sing.
 
The AR3a's like a lot of power to reach their full potential.I think any of the higher powered vintage amps,such as Marantz 2275 and up or Sansui 9090 would do you well.
 
i used to run mine (now gone) with a pioneer sx-1010 (also gone).
they didn't work as well with a scott 222c (also gone)

:)
 
I currently run mine with a NAD C270 (120WPC) but they did sound nice with a Pioneer SX-780 (45WPC). AR recommended 30 WPC if I remember right.
 
I heard modern HK amps suck/outsourced/underpowered from someone who worked at best-buy is this not true??

I know old models were excellent.
 
I heard modern HK amps suck/outsourced/underpowered from someone who worked at best-buy is this not true??

I know old models were excellent.
Yes, I think what you say is likely true. H-K was once a great name. This receiver I bought second hand is certainly not in the same league with the old stuff. Thew phono section went out soon after I got it and I fear the rest of it is not far behind.
 
I've been crazy about my AR3a's since I acquired them almost 20 years ago (and in the interim, have had the woofers re-foamed and the crossovers rebuilt)...

I'm driving them with a Yamaha RX596 receiver, and it's a good match as far as power (it's 100 wpc into 4 ohms @ .01% THD) and to my aged ears, it's just as accurate sounding as I could ask for.

I wouldn't recommend the 3a's for rock at ear-splitting levels, but for most everything else, it's the greatest!!!
 
I drove my 3a's with an Adcom GFA-535II while I was repairing the Pioneer SX-950 which normally drives them. The Adcom did an excellent job driving the AR3a's to the point where I considered keeping the setup configured that way. The conservatively rated lil' Adcom puts out 60 wpc into 8 ohms and 100 wpc into 4 ohms (which the AR3a's are of course), and it has no problem whatsoever handling 4 ohm loads. I put the SX-950 back into service because it fits in with my setup a little better since I don't have room for separates (plus it also drives the AR3a's extremely well).
 
Last edited:
I have a pair that the original owner gave me and they sound fine. Obviously, they need sufficent power, I think at least 60 watts is needed for most uses as well as a bit of distance from the listener (12 to 15 feet). One other thing that helps, I believe, is to cant the cabinets back a bit to improve the time-aliginment.

Having said that you could also mirror image the drivers as well as redoing the crossovers, but now you're looking at quite a bit more work and expense.

[Edit: The question was what to drive the AR3a's with, and of the gear I've heard with them, I believe that the mid-70's Sansui Integrated amps with 50-60 watts sound as good, or better, than anything else I've heard with them.]

However, one thing you'll probably realize pretty quickly, is how good the
AR3a were and how well they stack up against today's speakers!
:thmbsp:

Best Regards,
TerryO
 
Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom