My "new" 1967 Acoustic Research AX4x pair

beatcomber

AK Member
AK'er Crestwood23 posted a pair of fully restored AR4x's on BT for a very reasonable price, and I drove down to NJ on Saturday to pick them up.

You can see the amazing restoration that they went through here: http://www.audiokarma.org/forums/showthread.php?t=608420

Paired with a Yamaha CR-1020, little guys really surprised me! As many have reported, they put out a shocking amount of clean, deep bass, considering their size. The mids are outstanding, and they are quite fast and dynamic, yet smooooth.

Many criticize them for being rolled off on top, but either there's a problem with the speakers or the owners aren't accustomed to what "neutral" sounds like. I have my AR4x's dialed in with the tone pot set at 12 o'clock ("normal") and do not feel that they sound at all dull or rolled off. The mids and bass are equally as prominent so they do not have a lot of the top-end razzle dazzle that a lot of people expect.

When I first was evaluating the AR's, I had them temporarily perched on some stuff that I had in the room, which apparently did not have sufficient mass and/or rigidity. I've since moved them to more appropriate supports, and they have been literally transformed. Immediately transients became more dynamic, the highs became sweeter and more defined, and imaging popped into 3D. These speakers are capable of doing the "disappearing" trick, but they are sensitive to what type of support they are placed on.

I have yet to hear a pair of speakers that can reproduce the sound of the human voice more realistically.

Considering these speakers were made in 1967, their performance is quite remarkable. I really like them!

Very nice! I've been loving mine as well!
Now that you've gotten a taste of the AR sound, get yourself a pair of 3's, or 3a's. Truly amazing speakers at a whole different level!

Those are very nice! They do deserve the accolades for sure!

I notice a few creases in the grille cloth (not trying to nit-pick) and wonder if a spritz of water and a blow dryer would tighten them up? In his restore thread he re-clothed them. I am not necessarily qualified to recommend this procedure, others more knowledgeable might have better insight.

Thanks for posting, the cabs look wonderful and Crestwood23 did a great job on those, considering the original condition in his restore thread!

Very nice! I've been loving mine as well!
Now that you've gotten a taste of the AR sound, get yourself a pair of 3's, or 3a's. Truly amazing speakers at a whole different level!

I would love to hear a pair of 3's.

I notice a few creases in the grille cloth (not trying to nit-pick) and wonder if a spritz of water and a blow dryer would tighten them up? In his restore thread he re-clothed them.

Thanks! Tyler (Crestwood23) mentioned that he tried the spritz/blow dry method and just couldn't get them perfectly flat. It's really not that noticeable in person, and chances are they will flatten out with time.

Glad you're happy with them Beatcomber! They do indeed sound awesome, I was very happy with how they turned out.
Yes that stubborn grillcloth refused to cooperate, I ironed the hell out of it with steam on the highest "linen" setting first - they looked flat and perfect. Then I meticulously stretched and stapled the fabric onto the frames - spritzed them with a fine mist of water and hit them with a hairdryer. They looked good, but then as days went by the wrinkles came back here and there. :thumbsdn:
Like you said, its not that noticeable in person and I agree they will smooth out more over time.
I'm glad they have a great new home, I'm excited to tackle my next speaker restoration. :thmbsp:

Beautiful speaks indeed & I know you'll like the AR sound too. Luv my 3a's & 5's. Try the 5's if you can't pickup some 3 series. They rival my 3a's for sure.

Rome

Glad you're happy with them Beatcomber! They do indeed sound awesome, I was very happy with how they turned out.
Yes that stubborn grillcloth refused to cooperate, I ironed the hell out of it with steam on the highest "linen" setting first - they looked flat and perfect. Then I meticulously stretched and stapled the fabric onto the frames - spritzed them with a fine mist of water and hit them with a hairdryer. They looked good, but then as days went by the wrinkles came back here and there. :thumbsdn:
Like you said, its not that noticeable in person and I agree they will smooth out more over time.
I'm glad they have a great new home, I'm excited to tackle my next speaker restoration. :thmbsp:

^^A highly recommended trading partner here, folks! :thmbsp:

Crestwood23 I hope you understand I was not trying to be critical. I also get it that a photo can reveal some things that the eye does not perceive the same!

Geoff

Crestwood23 I hope you understand I was not trying to be critical. I also get it that a photo can reveal some things that the eye does not perceive the same!

Geoff

Yup I understand - no offense taken! I was just relaying my frustration about trying to get those cloths to sit flat! :thmbsp:

Beatcomber the next time you come by we can listen to the AR9's I have - another "old AR" definitely worth experiencing IMO! :yes:

I'd love to hear some 3a's or 3's at some point too, I'm a huge fan of the AR sound.

I'd love to hear some 3a's or 3's at some point too, I'm a huge fan of the AR sound.

IME different eras of AR history have a different house sound; for instance I think the Holographic series of about 20 years ago have a far more clear and open sound, with better tonal balance, than the ARs of the 60s and 70s and sound quite modern, in the best sense. The Holographs were the only ARs I ever considered buying and I've been in this hobby since 1970 or so.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom