Scored an Onkyo T-9 tuner...from myself

SoCal_LP

So, I'm in the very early stages of putting together a turntable-focused system. I'm running an entry-level Technics SL-BD10 turntable that a friend from work gave me (soon to have a donated Grado green cartridge) and an 80s Technics receiver that another buddy lent me because my 4-yr old Onkyo doesn't have a phono input, as well as a set of DCM Timepiece speakers that I bought new in 1990 and haven't used for 15 years.

Last week, it popped into my brain that an uncle had given me a vintage receiver in the late 90s. I grabbed it 'cause it looked cool (I was young) but never found a use for it. I couldn't remember getting rid of it, so I tore apart my house to find it. Lo and behold, it turned out to be an Onkyo T-9 tuner in what appears to be mint condition. I hooked it up to the receiver and it works perfectly (at least with AM stations - I still need to grab an FM antenna).

Some research on this forum indicates that an Onkyo A-5, A-7, or A-10 amplifier would pair nicely with the T-9, so that's next on the list.

You can get a phono preamp for the Onkyo and just patch in to AUX / CD etc to use a TT with it. Sounds like you are on the path to some enjoyable times.

Two suggestions:

1. Get a good antenna. I'm getting good FM in a metro area with a Grundig AN200. If you're distant from your favored stations, you may need an outdoor antenna on a pole.

2. Get a good phono preamp. The phono preamp is the most neglected LP playback component. Folks brag about their expen$ive turntable and cartridge, but money is better spent on the preamp than the TT. Most amps and (especially) receivers have mediocre ones. European gear tends to have better than Asian, IMHO.

Cool deal, thanks for the recommendations. Logistically, it would be difficult to set up an outdoor antenna, so I'm hoping a quality indoor antenna will work. I'm cautiously optimistic.

Any recommendations for a good phono preamp that won't break the bank? I would have no problem buying something other than an Onkyo, if that would get me a better preamp for roughly the same cost.

You can receive strong, local FM stations with just a length of speaker wire to check if FM section works.

The T-9 is a great sounding tuner. I've got one sitting in the closet right now because I'm using my T-9090II but the T-9 is just as good without the extra circuitry for use where there are lots of strong stations.

Yeah, I was pretty psyched when I found it in the house. I like the look of the unit, and the sound is remarkably clear for radio. I wish my uncle had given me an amplifier to go with it, but hey, one free quality audio component is sure better than none.

Back
Top Bottom