Record Changer Fans, do you also prefer dual tape and multi-CD decks???

illinoisteve

I have a record changing capable idler drive TT, but I only single play my record sides. I know from some interesting AK discussions that there are dedicated record changer fans, who'd like me to get the enjoyment they find in stacking their vinyl.

On the other hand (in another thread), I found myself speaking up for the good quality dual cassette deck, for users who want convenient dubbing and perhaps more than that the ability to play 4 cassette sides automatically in a row. In addition to enjoying a dual cassette in my main system, I also like my CD recorder which I mainly use as a two-tray CD player. It sounds much better than any 1-tray or 5-CD deck I have so far owned (even if there might be better sounding 1-CD decks I can't afford).

So I got to wondering, are others as inconsistent as I am or more consistent than me with respect to systems playing vinyl, cassettes, and CDs. For example, if you are dedicated to multi-play in your turntable, all you record changer fans out in AK-land, do you also want that capability in your cassette and CD decks??? Time to 'fess uo, and please also explain why or why not.

Last edited:
I usually use my Technics SL-1650 to stack 45s, it's the only way to play them! I have a Pioneer 101disc cd changer and a Sony 300 disc cd changer. I like to use the random button on both of them, you never know what song will play next! I also have a cd recorder but you can only play one cd at a time.

I have 3 garrard record changers, and i also have a pioneer 50+1 cd changer because i cant stand the carousel deals.

I use my MCS 6700 mainly as a single play turntable, but do use the stacking spindle for 45s and a few old Reader's Digest sets.

I play my CDs one at a time, as the last multi disk player I had (an older Kenwood) had lousy sound quality.

I prefer single cassette decks, but have a nice JVC dual deck with auto reverse (and pitch control!) that sounds better than it should - so I use that in my computer system.

I hate tapes, but I do own a 5 disc CD changer. I don't use it, and I barely own any CDs. I've had that thing since I was probably 15, and its barely been used. I own and use 6 record changers though.

I keep forgetting that they even made/make those 50-to-x hundred CD changers! I have had two of the 5-CD carousel type decks. One crapped out, another I quit using after I got my CD recorder, which sounds quite a bit better than either carousel ever did. One problem with the 5-CD machines is I realize that I never give my full attention to the full run of CDs. I'm more likely to do that with only 2 CDs. Those one's holding dozens of CDs...I'm afraid it would all turn into background music...but maybe that's just me. I think I'd be tempted to play 45's with a changer spindle, but I really don't have very many 45s.

I believe I've seen as many as a 300 disc changer before. I have an ipod for that, and it is background music 95% of the time. Even when I'm stacking records its more often for background music while I'm reading or something.

I have a Garrard Type A, which I love to stack records on, although I also play records one-at-a-time also. I've got a CD player that holds up to 5 discs, which is very convenient, and sounds nice too. I haven't had a cassette player in a few years. But when I had one, I had a dual cassette, and was always taping stuff off the radio and making copies of tapes.

I like the extra options of multiple play, so to speak. But it is not imperative. I also have a Thorens TD-147, which is of course, only single play. And I've had CD players in the past that only played one CD at a time. I'm flexible - as long as it sounds good!!

I believe I've seen as many as a 300 disc changer before. I have an ipod for that, and it is background music 95% of the time. Even when I'm stacking records its more often for background music while I'm reading or something.

I can only read some kinds of non-fiction with music on in the background. If the writing has music in it, I have trouble listening to music while reading it.

Many operas and theatrical productions were pressed in the 1/4, 2/3 (or 1/6, 2/5, 3/4) format. I enjoy listening to a complete work sometimes without getting uo every 24 minutes.

The LPs from the mid-fifties up were ALMOST all pressed using the RCA-developed Gruve-Guard (sp?) process, with the raised label area and a fat outer lip. The grooves CANNOT come in contact with each other.

I like my Sony five-disc CD player. I sometimes put three to five CD's in it and hit shuffle play. Peace and goodwill.

I have a 5-disc Yamaha CD changer running through an external DAC that my wife likes to load up when I'm gone. I load it up for parties and Christmas Day. It's a nice convenience, and fun set to 'shuttle'.

My old Optimus CD changer is great. I have made CD's of good music to sleep to, each about 75 minutes on average, and they last all night long. I haven't turned off the CD player in about 2 years.

I have a Realistic CD player that uses 5 disc cartridges. It sounds good and is used in one of my systems. It's a rebadged Phillips/Marantz.

Q.: Record Changer Fans, do you also prefer dual tape and multi-CD decks???
A. I found my Sony dual-well tape deck to be incredibly useful.. when it worked. I prefer a single-disc CD player, however.

Tom

Q.: Record Changer Fans, do you also prefer dual tape and multi-CD decks???
A. I found my Sony dual-well tape deck to be incredibly useful.. when it worked. I prefer a single-disc CD player, however.

Tom

My Sony dual cassette deck is one of the most dependable tape decks of any kind I have ever owned. Maybe I'm just lucky.

Steve, your 465 is one step below my 565, so they're the same family. On mine, the belts go flabby enough to stop the deck in its tracks like clockwork every 4½ years. I'm sick of replacing them.

I love having my 300 CD's always que'd up and ready to go at the push of a button! :banana: I really, really, REALLY wish that they still made 300-CD players like my older Sony... but they just don't anymore :(

IMG_0541_zps43557dea.jpg

Back
Top Bottom