• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Want to buy "awesome" power for Kef R105.1

saabracer23

AK Subscriber
Subscriber
I'm 32 years old and have owned quite a few pieces in my time. I started with vintage gear in my early teens because it was cheap and easily found. As I have gotten older I have purchased newer gear with bells and whistles that I've never used, and nicer equipment all around as money allows. I have come to find that this newer gear gives me more headaches than the older gear I started with!

What I have now for my main setup is a pair of Kef 105.1 reference 3 ways powered by a Rotel RSX-1065 surround receiver. Very nice sounding setup when the Rotel wants to work. It died again last night, luckily it still under the 90 day warranty from the last time I took it in. This is a 2.1 channel setup that has a TT, bluray, cd, and Apple TV. The speakers are paired with a Velodyne HGS15.
(Sub may change later as I'm a bit of a DIYer)

In the bedroom I have a trio of Klipsch reference 5-1/4" two ways hanging on the wall run by a Denon AVR-2310ci. I can't seem to get the sub out to work so I'm just using the B speaker outputs running into the sub. It's a B&W Matrix 800 12 ported, made to go with their TOTL 800 matrix speakers back in the day.

So two receivers with all the bells and whistles you could want giving me problems. Other than a few small low powered DIY amps I've built, these are my only power sources. I'm starting a couple of Nelson Pass's First watt amps (F5 and ACA amp camp) for fun.

Not sure which receiver I'll keep, but I'll keep one for the bedroom to run the klipsch speakers.

But I'm here as I want a fresh go for the Kef speakers. They're a 12" 3 way and I'd love to give them a lot of power. I'm thinking around 200 watts. I could go lower if it's a good amp. Of course I could always go more, I'd love 350 watts at my fingertips! I want simple as it seems to be more reliable. I'm not sure if I want to go old silver face or newer equipment. Not sure if I should go for a receiver, an integrated amp, or separates. I do know that I want stereo only, no surround.

What I've owned in the past: I've had a couple Kenwood model 600s and a 650 (same, but champagne in color). Great amp, had them hooked up to JBL jubals, some bigger infinitys, Kef towers, etc. A pair of Kenwood M07 monoblocks. Again, very awesome. I had an Onkyo M-504 amplifier. I really liked this amp. I've had several smaller NAD integrated amps and a few older silver face yamahas. Those previous ones were the ones that stood out.

The Kenwood 600 or 650 is a strong contender. I've never owned an old Sansui, but people seem to love them. I was thinking of going with a newer integrated like the NAD C 375BEE. I know these are less than the 200 watt RMS that I asked for that's ok.

For separates Adcom looks nice, like the 5802, 300 watts. Or maybe a Parasound amp.

I'm really needing some help from those that have been where I am right now and have used some of these and other pieces and can share some of their experiences. I would love to buy used obviously, the best value are on used gear. If I buy older stuff like the old kenwoods or sansuis I'm not afraid to do a recap. I'm good with a soldering iron, fluke dmm, and I have a dcr meter that will measure capacitance and inductance. I've done some recapping, repaired a few minor issues with amp, and the DIY guy in me has populated many boards.

Budget would be right around $1000 or so. I could stretch it a bit for the right amp/combo.

My father thinks I should go straight for the supreme 600 as he is in love with it.
What are your thoughts?

Thanks,
Dan

Oh, P.S. I'm a huge fan of VU meters. If you can find me a nice amp with those you get two gold stars!!!
 
Last edited:
Register to hide this ad
Hello,

In one of my setups I'm using the KEF 105.2 with a Quad 606.
Perfect match and more than enough power, the 606 never struggles to deliver the power required for high playback level.
No VU-meters though, but what is important to you, music or looks ?

Thierry
 
I think you should be able to find a use Bryston 4B in that price range
find one have it serviced and you should be good

Thank you for the suggestion. They are a bit high priced as I would need a preamp to go with it. I will keep my eye out for one eBay that may end up going for less than it is worth.

Would you be able to make a suggestion for a preamp to run the Bryson?
And if others suggest power amps, would it be possible for you to suggest pres as well?

Thanks,
Dan
 
Hello,

In one of my setups I'm using the KEF 105.2 with a Quad 606.
Perfect match and more than enough power, the 606 never struggles to deliver the power required for high playback level.
No VU-meters though, but what is important to you, music or looks ?

Thierry

Ah, nice speaker you have there!!! I'll look into the quad, it sounds like an awesome amplifier. To answer your question, both music an looks are important to me. I never said meters are a requirement, only suggested that they would be an added bonus. I see the tape player in your avatar has nice blue meters, soooo pretty. Do you have a suggestion on a preamp for the Quad?

Thanks
Dan
 
I suggest a pro audio amp. Gobs of clean power, reasonable prices.

I was honestly thinking of a pro. The thing is, I had a Peavey IPR2 7500 which is rated at gobs o power and when every it got a bit loud it just sounded bad. Lots of distortion, it just sounded strained and miss were shouty and shrill. No matter what speaker or preamp I'd use. I was thinking of trying one of the NAD preamps that has the high voltage preout. Does something like 15v.

Dan
 
Ah, nice speaker you have there!!! I'll look into the quad, it sounds like an awesome amplifier. To answer your question, both music an looks are important to me. I never said meters are a requirement, only suggested that they would be an added bonus. I see the tape player in your avatar has nice blue meters, soooo pretty. Do you have a suggestion on a preamp for the Quad?

Thanks
Dan

I tend to swap amps and preamps in my setups, I have used this brute also (http://www.audiokarma.org/forums/showthread.php?t=584844) and my preferred preamp with the Quad 606 is a tuned-up Quad 44 (https://picasaweb.google.com/109296933751482509949/QUAD44).

For meters fun I use this amp, same as the above but dressed in sunday clothes : https://picasaweb.google.com/109296933751482509949/Bose1801#5874467512570416402

All of the mentionned amps do wonders on the 105.2s and they can play LOUD without any problem. I still prefer the Quad 606 and anyway I know that KEF engineers used varios Quad amplifiers - mainly the 405 that I too have and which is the same as the 606 with a bit less watts - when designing their speakers.

As you metnionned my avatar I'm also a reel-to-reel addict but that's off topic (you can have a look here if you wish, there's translate option in the right navbar on the right : http://audiolalies.blogspot.fr/2013/06/le-magnetophone-cest-mon-dada.html )

Thierry
 
I was honestly thinking of a pro. The thing is, I had a Peavey IPR2 7500 which is rated at gobs o power and when every it got a bit loud it just sounded bad. Lots of distortion, it just sounded strained and miss were shouty and shrill. No matter what speaker or preamp I'd use. I was thinking of trying one of the NAD preamps that has the high voltage preout. Does something like 15v.

Dan

I have a unabused Peavey CS-800 available. No one can say that legendary amp is a slouch or does not sound good. Mine is the more modern 3 space version and has the flowthru cooling system. These are very similar to the old Phase Linear amps in sound but no TO3 circuitry like the 1st generation 4 space CS800. It's also bridgeable and biampable and will handle any speaker load. I would use it but I am already running a WOPL500 and will soon have a WOPL1000. I had it in my guitar rack and it's been babied since new (just some tape residue to be cleaned off)

LRKBZlm.jpg


YNligMX.jpg
 
Last edited:
I suggest a pro audio amp. Gobs of clean power, reasonable prices.


Agreed. I like the Mackie m1400, which I have personally serviced. You can find them cheap, it's class AB with On Semi output devices and a toroidal transformer. It only has 250W at 1% THD however for 8 ohms. You could always bridge two older Yamaha Pro amps one per speaker, which are even better when recapped.
 
I suggest a pair of DB Systems Monoblocks at 140 RMS per channel. They are super clean and quiet. 2nd to that, a Crown Microtech amp.
 
The Luxman M-4000 has really nice synergy with the Kef's and it has some of the loveliest meters I've seen.

IMG_1321.JPG


IMG_1324.JPG


IMG_1330.JPG
 
Last edited:
They don't have VU meters but Adcom GFA amps are high quality and affordable. The GFA 555 puts out 200 watts into 8 ohm and 325 watts into 4 ohms. Just watch out for leaky caps!
 
Awesome power is not necessarily high power. I drove my Kef 105.2 with a pair of Boothroyd Stuart Meridian 105 monos for many years without issue. 100wpch but 7db headroom. Awesome with the Kefs, easily driving them to their max spl with sota performance.

Brits are probably best with other Brits.
 
When I aquired 105.2's I realized that they could take more than my MCS 3125 (115wpc conservative) could give them. I thought it might be the receiver and was thinking of having it tuned up then got a deal on an Adcom 545 MKII (100wpc) with similar results. I don't listen at that volume very often but it would be nice to know it's there if I want it. I knew the 545 wasn't bridgeable when I got it but as I said, great deal. Still contemplating my next move, or rather waiting for the right move to come my way. I still like the idea of dual mono amps. Sometimes I wish the KEFs were bi-ampable but there's no arguing with the quality of the circuitry of their crossover from what I've read and heard.
 
Back
Top Bottom