Who cares about the original box and papers anyway?

Rob41

Don't stop believin'
I get how an action figure in it's original box and unopened can fetch more money but why does the original box and paperwork become so value added for stereo gear?

I would value the original owners manual or service manual or schematics if they are not available anywhere else. And even then I would only be interested in the information so it wouldn't have to be original.

The inclusion of these extras always seems to bring a much higher price. An example is a piece of gear in 8/10 condition with the extras selling for , $XXX. Then the same gear in 9/10 condition but without the extras selling for less.

Personally, I'd prefer to have the gear in 9/10 condition without the original box or paperwork.

The only value the original box has for me is the fact that so many other people want the box....why? :scratch2:

And it would seem to me someone willing to hang onto the boxes probably holds their gear in a bit higher esteem and perhaps treats it better. Although, that certainly may not be true in all cases.

Also, some boxes are pretty incredible, like the one for my Levinson 23. Havent looked at the box for a while, but as I recall it's a triple box and would be a real PITA to ship without it.

I have the boxes and manuals for the majority of stereo gear I bought new (and some used)...just in case I move or sell any of it.

Every single time I've ever bought audio equipment greater than a decade old from the original owner who still had the boxes and manuals handy, he was the kind of guy who took care of his stuff, which would usually be virtually unmarked with all systems go. That is my reason for liking to see those original boxes and papers. Buy from a frood who really knows where his towel is.

I just paid a premium for a pioneer turntable in the original box. After so many shipping disasters, it's worth it to me to know that the item has at least the factory protection and isn't packed by some half-assed cheapskate. I even paid him extra to put the factory box into another box. And sure enough, when it arrived the outer box was thrashed.

After shipping a lot of stuff either for work or fleabay, packing things well is hard. I can really understand why things arrive damaged from poor packaging... most folks just don't have enough experience. Original packaging makes it soooo much easier for non-professionals to get it right. And making custom packaging can be expensive. I've spent $30 on materials to crate and ship items, most folks just won't bother.

The original papers? I just love that stuff. Nothing is cooler for me than finding a console from 1962 with all of the original manuals, catalogs, schematics, tube charts and receipt inside. That's just way cool for me.

Not only on average the people who preserved their boxes and manuals took better care of their gear, but also the history behind that gear is also preserved. I regard this as a sign of a meticulous owner who was caring.

I like getting original boxes with the gear as others have said. Right now I have 4 OLA and 2 JBL L100T boxes in my garage. They take up space but nice to have

Can the same argument can be made for the prices on a sealed LP? They can go for 10X the cost of a mint open copy. But I have open a more then a few albums that had problems from the git. So it must have something to do with a subconscious feeling of buying new.

Plus unless a sticker is on the plastic how can one be so sure it is new? At least boxes and paperwork can't be faked.

For me it is always nice to have but the added price. It is a case by case evaluation.

Barney

Last edited:
boxes

Hey,
I'll go you all one better. I buy a lot of my records at second hand stores. And if the inter sleeve is turned sideways I don't even pull it out to check. I always have done this as a precaution and figure anyone else who does this probably took as good of care as I do. Its worked so far but I am usually am paying $1.00 apiece so I'm not expecting perfect pieces.
Friday I picked up a pair of klh 17's and a Fisher 125 (all in one) stereo. The Fisher was in its box in perfect condition (no papers). The klh 17's were in 8out10 condition until dumbass me knocked a back corner off coming out of the guys front door. I wish the guys uncle had saved his klh boxes too.
I try to save all of mine . I've still got my k-horns boxes now that takes up some space even flattened out. Eric

I've known people into model trains that bought the boxed ones, took the whatever out of the box, and sold the EMPTY BOX for almost what the whole thing cost. Boxes are rare compared to the things in them. It was his way of getting cool things for nearly free.

Not only on average the people who preserved their boxes and manuals took better care of their gear, but also the history behind that gear is also preserved. I regard this as a sign of a meticulous owner who was caring.

I bought my AU-719 off e-bay with the original box. It is in perfect cosmetic condition.

Plus, as the gear gets older, the original boxes become more rare. Rare = $$.

Rob

Can the same argument can be made for the prices on a sealed LP? They can go for 10X the cost of a mint open copy. But I have open a more then a few albums that had problems from the git. So it must have something to do with a subconscious feeling of buying new.

Plus unless a sticker is on the plastic how can one be so sure it is new? At least boxes and paperwork can't be faked.

For me it is always nice to have but the added price. It is a case by case evaluation.

Barney

Oddly enough, in almost all the cases where I found this type owner, they weren't asking for the highest dollar. In fact, most of these types I've encountered tend to value a dollar more highly and are asking for some of the lowest prices around. Not saying this is always the case, just that it happens this way more often among such owners who tend to be very conservative people. Often, they just want the old stuff gone, and quickly.

Some of these jaspers must have a garage full of empty boxes--stereo gear, the vacuum cleaner, Mr. Coffee, TV sets, washing machine, George Foreman grill...

I have seen original boxes only for sal and thought it strange.

Thanks for all the great answers. It all makes more sense now.

I get how an action figure in it's original box and unopened can fetch more money but why does the original box and paperwork become so value added for stereo gear?

I would value the original owners manual or service manual or schematics if they are not available anywhere else. And even then I would only be interested in the information so it wouldn't have to be original.

The inclusion of these extras always seems to bring a much higher price. An example is a piece of gear in 8/10 condition with the extras selling for , $XXX. Then the same gear in 9/10 condition but without the extras selling for less.

Personally, I'd prefer to have the gear in 9/10 condition without the original box or paperwork.

The only value the original box has for me is the fact that so many other people want the box....why? :scratch2:

It's not just in the audio hobby. A classic Jaguar with the original tool kit, paperwork, and manuals can add a signigficant premium to the sale price.

Rolex watch boxes also hold their value.

I go out of my way to add any missing paperwork to the used audio equipment I add to my collection. Doesn't make it sound any better, but I like to have them. (It gives me the specs too).

Rob

The same goes for old computers. I've had people want to buy the Mac Classic II I have simply because it has the original box - no other reason.

On the other hand I have a TOA P906 Mk2 in original box with documentation and I doubt that'll ever be worth much :p.

Back
Top Bottom