Audiokarma.org
Audiokarma Featured Sponsor

Go Back   AudioKarma.org Home Audio Stereo Discussion Forums > Turntables


We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 03-12-2006, 06:02 PM
Micropassatman's Avatar
Micropassatman Micropassatman is offline
Swollen Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Boise, Idaho
Posts: 1,235
Pioneer PL-750

Hello all,

I have just aquired this very table for a modest fee, and I was wondering if anyone has any information or experienced listening opines out there on it. Positives? Negatives? Should I keep it or turn it? Was it a quality unit, or just another piece of SPC? Thanks in advance!
__________________
"Yes, but it goes to eleven..."

"No matter where you go...there you are"
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 03-13-2006, 01:14 PM
Micropassatman's Avatar
Micropassatman Micropassatman is offline
Swollen Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Boise, Idaho
Posts: 1,235
I was afraid people would take the intent of my initial questioning incorrectly. Let me embellish a little. I am not an auctionsite reseller. Look me up on eBay. Same username. I don't sell online at all. If anything, I have TOO MUCH STUFF! I HATE to get rid of anything. THe W.A.F. is in play here folks. I can have one turntable in open view. Period. Right now I'm using a Sony PS-10F 'Falcon' series unit from '78-'79. I am happy with its sound, but I am curious to hear 'better' tables in my bargain-basement range of affordability. All I want to know is...will moving from the Sony to the Pioneer be a step forwar or backward in sound quality? It looks like it has a carbon-fibre arm, but it could be painted aluminum for all I know. Considering the 750 in its moniker, I asumed it was a 'higher-end' unit from Pioneer's lineup. Was I incorrect? I DID search the archives, and I only found ONE thread containing a reference to the table - the 'What's Pioneer in your Rig' thread. No commentary on it at all. I also checked Axel's site TVK and struck out again. Does anybody own this table? Does anyone have the table's date of mfg. and/or specs? I Google's it to no avail as well. HELP!

BTW, to set everyone's minds at ease - if I choose to sell this table, I will place it in an AK classified ad. I love this community and all it has afforded me. It's only fair to offer up to the community what someone else might be looking for, even if it isn't my cup-o'-tea. Ciao.
__________________
"Yes, but it goes to eleven..."

"No matter where you go...there you are"

Last edited by Micropassatman; 03-13-2006 at 01:21 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 08-21-2007, 04:09 AM
Cadillac89's Avatar
Cadillac89 Cadillac89 is offline
Casual AK Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 123
I know you asked about it over a year ago, but I thought I would still comment. I have this turntable and I've always been told it's a great and top of the line turntable and have not had a bad experience with it at all. Just recently I had emailed someone at Needle Doctor and had mentioned in it that this is the turntable I have and he replied back telling me what a great table it is. I believe it came with a high quality Pioneer moving coil cartridge, which I still have with the original stylus some 25 or 30 years later (only really started using it much in the last year) and it still works just as good as it did the day I bought it. I could probably make some good money with it on ebay, but I have no desire to sell it.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 08-21-2007, 09:57 AM
hakaplan's Avatar
hakaplan hakaplan is offline
Needs professional help
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Philadelphia, PA
Posts: 10,731
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cadillac89 View Post
I know you asked about it over a year ago, but I thought I would still comment. I have this turntable and I've always been told it's a great and top of the line turntable and have not had a bad experience with it at all. Just recently I had emailed someone at Needle Doctor and had mentioned in it that this is the turntable I have and he replied back telling me what a great table it is. I believe it came with a high quality Pioneer moving coil cartridge, which I still have with the original stylus some 25 or 30 years later (only really started using it much in the last year) and it still works just as good as it did the day I bought it. I could probably make some good money with it on ebay, but I have no desire to sell it.
This PL-750...is it silver with a straight tonearm?
__________________
Howard
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 08-21-2007, 06:58 PM
Greg B. Greg B. is offline
AK Donor
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Dartmouth, Nova Scotia, Canada
Posts: 276
Does it look at all like this?



That in turn looks very similar to the early-1980s PL-x series, like this PL-7:



I wonder if a PL-750 was a renumbering of something like a PL-7 for sale in a different market?

Dr. Strangelove over in the Pioneer forum would surely know about this one.
__________________
Pioneer SX-3900, SX-3800, SX-3600, SX-880, PL-S40, PL-2, H-R 100
Akai AP-206
Sony CDP-C435
Yamaha P-200
Marantz SD-3030
PSB Mod. 40 MkII
Reply With Quote
Audiokarma
  #6  
Old 08-21-2007, 07:06 PM
hakaplan's Avatar
hakaplan hakaplan is offline
Needs professional help
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Philadelphia, PA
Posts: 10,731
According to the Pioneer database it was also called a PL-705. It was a 1984 model. Those you have posted are from 1981.
__________________
Howard
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 08-21-2007, 09:27 PM
Micropassatman's Avatar
Micropassatman Micropassatman is offline
Swollen Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Boise, Idaho
Posts: 1,235
Similar looking. Straight tonearm with the Pioneer moving-coil cartridge on it.
__________________
"Yes, but it goes to eleven..."

"No matter where you go...there you are"
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 08-24-2007, 06:33 PM
Cadillac89's Avatar
Cadillac89 Cadillac89 is offline
Casual AK Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 123
To hakaplan:
Yes - It is silver with a straight tonearm. My PL-750 was produced around 1975, not 1984.

To Greg B.:
No, it really doesn't look much like those - Perhaps just the PL-720 a bit.

To Micropassatman:
Did you end up keeping this table?
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 08-24-2007, 06:55 PM
hakaplan's Avatar
hakaplan hakaplan is offline
Needs professional help
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Philadelphia, PA
Posts: 10,731
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cadillac89 View Post
To hakaplan:
Yes - It is silver with a straight tonearm. My PL-750 was produced around 1975, not 1984.
Sorry, I believe you are mistaken. Where did you get that information? Pioneer's first straight arm didn't appear until 1980. From well before 1975 and up through 1979 all of the turntables had s-arms. Furthermore, in 1975 all of their models had wooden bases. Silver bases didn't appear until 1978 (PL-610/630) and 1979, and again, those all had s-arms.

Go to the Pioneer forum, in the sticky threads, and find the Pioneer Component Database. Click on the turntables. It shows every one they ever produced and their years of production.

If you could post a picture of the turntable, it would be very helpful.
__________________
Howard
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 08-24-2007, 07:01 PM
Micropassatman's Avatar
Micropassatman Micropassatman is offline
Swollen Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Boise, Idaho
Posts: 1,235
Yes, I did (unwittingly) decide to keep the table. Found a N.O.S. stylus for it and it is currently on loan to a friend of mine.
__________________
"Yes, but it goes to eleven..."

"No matter where you go...there you are"
Reply With Quote
Audiokarma
  #11  
Old 08-24-2007, 07:03 PM
melofelo's Avatar
melofelo melofelo is offline
AK Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: london, uk
Posts: 5,610
might be this ?

http://urun.gittigidiyor.com/BEDAVAY...11077#aciklama
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 08-24-2007, 07:54 PM
Cadillac89's Avatar
Cadillac89 Cadillac89 is offline
Casual AK Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 123
Quote:
Originally Posted by hakaplan View Post
Sorry, I believe you are mistaken. Where did you get that information? Pioneer's first straight arm didn't appear until 1980. From well before 1975 and up through 1979 all of the turntables had s-arms. Furthermore, in 1975 all of their models had wooden bases. Silver bases didn't appear until 1978 (PL-610/630) and 1979, and again, those all had s-arms.

Go to the Pioneer forum, in the sticky threads, and find the Pioneer Component Database. Click on the turntables. It shows every one they ever produced and their years of production.

If you could post a picture of the turntable, it would be very helpful.
Sorry, perhaps I am wrong. I did read somewhere that it was produced around 1975 - Too bad too, I wish it was. It's still a decent table though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by melofelo View Post
Perhaps this is a better page: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...0%3D%26fvi%3D1.

It didn't seem to sell for too much in Belgium, but I bet I'd get more for it if I was to sell it on the North American eBay.
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 08-24-2007, 09:36 PM
hakaplan's Avatar
hakaplan hakaplan is offline
Needs professional help
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Philadelphia, PA
Posts: 10,731
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cadillac89 View Post
It didn't seem to sell for too much in Belgium, but I bet I'd get more for it if I was to sell it on the North American eBay.
I doubt it. While I'm sure it sounds fine, the straight arm tables are not as highly regarded and don't bring high prices. It's mostly because they look plasticky and cheap. That MC cart is an enigma--has a .7mil stylus. Kind of the "poor man's" MC. I think an MM with a better stylus is probably preferable.
__________________
Howard
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 08-25-2007, 07:12 AM
Cadillac89's Avatar
Cadillac89 Cadillac89 is offline
Casual AK Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 123
Quote:
Originally Posted by hakaplan View Post
I doubt it. While I'm sure it sounds fine, the straight arm tables are not as highly regarded and don't bring high prices. It's mostly because they look plasticky and cheap. That MC cart is an enigma--has a .7mil stylus. Kind of the "poor man's" MC. I think an MM with a better stylus is probably preferable.
Whatever - It was a good machine when I bought it and it still is.
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 08-25-2007, 08:55 AM
Greg B. Greg B. is offline
AK Donor
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Dartmouth, Nova Scotia, Canada
Posts: 276
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cadillac89 View Post
Perhaps this is a better page: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...0%3D%26fvi%3D1.

It didn't seem to sell for too much in Belgium, but I bet I'd get more for it if I was to sell it on the North American eBay.
That looks a whole lot like my PL-S40... that raised lip at the back edge for the cover to attach to the base is pretty distinctive.



Although Howard seems to have a low opinion of this series, mine produces excellent sound and I quite like it.
__________________
Pioneer SX-3900, SX-3800, SX-3600, SX-880, PL-S40, PL-2, H-R 100
Akai AP-206
Sony CDP-C435
Yamaha P-200
Marantz SD-3030
PSB Mod. 40 MkII
Reply With Quote
Audiokarma
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:24 AM.



Friends of Audiokarma
We appreciate your help in keeping this site going.
Stereo Repair World
Herbies Audio Lab
Vintage Home Audio
Amps and Sound
Pro DJ Headphones - click here
Organ Donor Parts
Wargos Electronics
Parts Connexion
Sonneteer
Take Five Audio
Sound Stage Direct
Audio Salon
AudioClassics
Audience AV
AV Solutions
Simply Speakers
Tone Arm Audio
BD Enterprise
Musical Paradise
Howard Products
Classic Sound Repair
FM DX Antenna
McIntosh Cabinets
Siliconray
BOI Audio Works
Vinyl Magic Record Cleaner
Amplifiedparts
Grant Fidelity
RSL Speakers
Yesterday's Audio
Urban Antigue Radio
DeWick Repairs
Many Moons Audio
Vintage Electronics Repair
The Tube Store
Politicalchat.org
Audio Doctor
Antique Radio Classifieds
MCM Electronics
Videokarma.org
   
   
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 2002-2014 AudioKarma.org, All rights reserved.