• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Joe Bonamassa Albums

4Play

Super Member
Banned
I'm looking to add Joe Bonamassa to my Blues collection. Can JB fans recommend a few of what you consider to be his best? As always, your help is appreciated. :music:
 
Register to hide this ad
My current favorite would be "An Acoustic Evening at the Vienna Opera House" but I look forward to hearing the favorites of others here!

61EbH4LPwBL.jpg
 
"Live From Nowhere in Particular" and "Sloe Gin" are solid.

Edit: He puts on a great live show.
 
Last edited:
My favorites are:
So, It's Like That,
Sloe Gin, and
Black Rock.

His live cds are good, and he puts on a great show, but I prefer the studio cds for regular listening.

Cheers,
James
 
Blues Deluxe is a good studio album to start with. His recent Tour De Force - Borderline is really good live cd
 
We have a An Acoustic evening at The Vienna Opera House which is our favorite & From Nowhere in Particular. Electric guitar stuff. Not as nice as acoustic guitar, at least for this person. We will get some more.
 
I have never been a fan of live albums. Too much of people acting stupid on them to enjoy the album. Just my opinion.
 
Can't go wrong with any of his albums

Hi! I always hesitate to post in forums for fear of criticism - which has happened on other sites. However, Joe Bonamassa? Well I guess I'm an evangelist. I've quickly amassed twelve of Bonamassa's CD's after being introduced to him last year. Had the pleasure of attending a concert here in Cincinnati back in November. The man is amazing!

For suggested works I would say, "The Ballad of John Henry" is near the top with the title song being one of his signature numbers. Also contains the great rendition of "Jockey Full of Bourbon" and "Story of a Quarryman". Another good CD is "Driving Towards the Daylight" with the track, "Dislocated Boy".

Anyone who can front for B.B. King when he was twelve years old has my vote. Enjoy!

Oh, his newest one, "Different Shades of Blue" is worth a listen.

-TommyZ-
 
I heartily agree with others here. He is one of the great blues guitarists playing today.

You can't go wrong with:

Blues Deluxe
Had to Cry Today
Sloe Gin
Black Rock


A couple I think are outstanding are:

Driving Towards Daylight
Dust Bowl


A great live album is Live From the Royal Albert Hall.
 
Last edited:
I have to agree with 4Play re live albums; People can act sooo stoopeed. I just want to say "Shut the bleep up" I want to listen. Yes, I was born in the fifties. :nono:so I'm an old curmudgeon. :D

Also...and please don't nail me against the wall...but can we keep our smartphones off?

Love "Happier Times"(listening to it as I am writing) and "Bird on a Wire" off the the Black Rock albums.
 
Hi, my name is Fozzy, and I too am a Bonamassa addict.
(Hi Fozzy!)

Fans of Joe, not much unlike crossfit evangelists, often find themselves bringing him up whenever possible. He's a defining player in modern blues, if not THE defining player. That having been said, you really can not go wrong with any of his works. I find myself listening to "The Ballad of John Henry" more often than his others, so I suppose there's some food for thought.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
 
Agree with lots posted above. I've seen him live three times, incredible player.

On his website he posts in the forum. Answers questions about gigs, gear, etc:

http://forum.jbonamassa.com/search.php?action=show_user_posts&user_id=58

His take on "Just Got Paid" is fabulous. He's reworked it some of late, base on newer videos on youtube. I love the version on Nowhere Live. "New Day Yesterday/Starship Trooper" as well.

"Happier Times:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cf1nnEpA5fk

"Dislocated Boy" with Brad Whitford, Anton Fig and others in the studio:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fj4VZ2Xa53g

His producer, Kevin Shirley, aka "The Caveman" is a great partner for JB:

http://www.cavemanproductions.com/
 
Last edited:
The Live album with Beth Hart is incredible. Excellent sound and a great addition for the blues collection.
 
His producer, Kevin Shirley, aka "The Caveman" is a great partner for JB:
:thmbsp:

This is an important point. The quality of Joes cds took a big jump after he teamed up with Kevin Shirley, who I view as on of the best producers in the business at the moment.

There's not a single JB cd that I've listened to that I don't like, just some more than others. Some (like John Henry) didn't really grab me at first but after hearing a few more times grew on me till they became favorites.

Sometimes I love live, sometimes it doesn't bring anything extra, but imho the Albert Hall video is a must have. I have it on dvd and the picture quality is top, I can only imagine that on bluray it must be stunning. It's a superb performance. Watching Anton Fig and Buggy Bowles drum together alone is worth watching. I saw him just a few weeks afterward and he put on a great show, was very relaxed and obviously having a lot of fun, which makes for a good performance. Seen him 5 times now, and will be seeing him again in Feb. :yes:

Cheers,
James
 
Back
Top Bottom