Regnar DQM-9c Upgrade Capacitor Kit

bd1886

Been a fan of Dahlquist for awhile now but have been slow in actually getting a pair of DQM-9s' for myself. My best friend and I decided to drop by our least productive GW yesterday and while he was still trying to find parking in the full lot, I was putting a pair of DQM-9cs' in my undersized shopping cart! (I never felt too bad because I'd alerted him to a CL pair and we've been enjoying those for months now.)
Well, long since have determined those Dahlquists to throw down well into the leagues of premium sound types and that size? Perfect for versatility and still produce a top notch presentation.

Here's the question:
Two accepted schools of thought with these in that the original capacitors are of very high quality and inherently have an extended life over "lesser tech"./ Nope.....the Regnar upgrade is huge and the difference is well worth the price of admission. The price I paid has plenty of room left for the upgrade and finishing help they need....is the upgrade "real"? Appreciate all opinions.

Freshening the capacitors definitely helps. I have to question what they charge for the kit, though. Their markup is ridiculous.

The caps shouldn't need replacing.

I have a pair of 9 and 9c and neither need recapping.

Dahlquist used very high quality caps in these speakers and I doublt they've drifted much if at all.

Let me know if you do though as I'd be interested in hearing how it works out.

Good luck

Eric

Will do. Have them over at my sons close by and going to grab some source material and get some more ears on them stock. They definitely sure have truly well done system of construction that screams very smartly executed intent and going to hook them up to an Onkyo TX-8500 (and play with it's mid control slightly on these). Curious with how it's firmly forward even/smooth sound plays with these too. I'm thinking it'll be an extremely safe pairing with jazz,piano,acoustic and female vocals......guess those are an extreme slam dunk nice for the DQM-9c.

I was so impressed with the build quality and excellent parts they used in the original DQM-9 crossover, that I picked up a spare pair along with mids from ebay and wonder if I`ll ever use them. Interested in the Regnar "upgrade" if anyone has swapped those in their 9 or 9C. My DQ-10s have the Regnar kit and are splendid.

After throwing quite a bit of different music at those "bookshelves",couldn't help but appreciate how the simple format can intrude so well into having some fight with my DQ-20s and other biguns. I did like backing off the mids just a touch,had to back down volume on some genres where mixes were very forward, and wished for a bigger room so I didn't have too do all that!
They fill up a room effortlessly (don't they) and one of those smaller speaks where it's just fine to let bigger have some quiet time in a closet. The cosmetics are thrashed so thinking I may just take some latitude with them and refinish,redesign grills and build stands that will compliment either vintage Onkyo or Marantz closely......maybe that kit but not necessary immediately for sure! Thanks you guys. (Patience did pay.)

I put a Regnar kit in a pair of 10s and they were I did splendid however I know that the guys at Regnar really only put their stickers on caps they source elsewhere. I really should have peeled the stickers and kept a record of what was used as I would image the same set of caps could probably be found for a lot less.

I am a big fan of Dahlquist speakers and have or have had all the major players.

I don't recommend making all sorts of mods as they really knew what they were doing when they made these.

Enjoy

Eric

WOW! Another set of DQM-9c at GW!

I got 2 sets from them over the years and though I had all the luck. People up there do give away good stuff! (I also got some DQM-7 free from an owner that needed foam and then found a bad bass driver :tears:)

FWIW, If the sound good, forget the $$$ "upgrade" or "restore" kit. I think its smoke and mirrors. I've only seen ONE set of speakers work better with new caps and they were much older and much cheaper things (some old Scott somethings).

I'm running original x-overs in my DQ-10s, DQ-20s, DQM-9c, Klipsch KG5.5, etc.... No problems.

I redid the old University Medallions, no change that I could hear.

Maybe I can't hear enough or listen to critical enough stuff. I have learned that what seems great today may not be once you get to hear something better! But that has only happened with a complete change of gear, different amp, different speakers, different room, etc...

Having picked up a pair of DQM-9s at the county dump last month, I will be following this thread with much interest.

Sadly, I have one dead tweeter :tears:

Having picked up a pair of DQM-9s at the county dump last month, I will be following this thread with much interest.

Sadly, I have one dead tweeter :tears:

Magnat? Sucks! They don't show up much. Watch ebay though. I think there were some going unsold for a while a year or two ago.

I put a Regnar kit in a pair of 10s and they were I did splendid however I know that the guys at Regnar really only put their stickers on caps they source elsewhere. I really should have peeled the stickers and kept a record of what was used as I would image the same set of caps could probably be found for a lot less.

I am a big fan of Dahlquist speakers and have or have had all the major players.

I don't recommend making all sorts of mods as they really knew what they were doing when they made these.

Enjoy

Eric

I tend to be hesitant on changing originality but these have no grills so going to do custom ones that will be mostly wheat colored cloth,walnut or teak side struts and accent beveled and stepped aluminum....custom but a high end "stock" impression. Stands? Gotta get the grills done and listen and "look" for a bit!

I have to do toe to toes with KLH 23s',KLH Model Fives,ADS L810s'. (Same league "ish" but thinking the over the top construction and dependability of the DQM-9c means a lot.....all patient GW finds "Mr. Vegas".)What is it about today? Every person I seem to communicate with today has just got back from,packing up for,or standing in Vegas! I'll keep Seattle wet and smelling like socks for ya Blhagstrom....don't you worry. Looking forward to meeting you in the spring!

WOW! Another set of DQM-9c at GW!

I got 2 sets from them over the years and though I had all the luck. People up there do give away good stuff! (I also got some DQM-7 free from an owner that needed foam and then found a bad bass driver :tears:)

FWIW, If the sound good, forget the $$$ "upgrade" or "restore" kit. I think its smoke and mirrors. I've only seen ONE set of speakers work better with new caps and they were much older and much cheaper things (some old Scott somethings).

I'm running original x-overs in my DQ-10s, DQ-20s, DQM-9c, Klipsch KG5.5, etc.... No problems.

I redid the old University Medallions, no change that I could hear.

Maybe I can't hear enough or listen to critical enough stuff. I have learned that what seems great today may not be once you get to hear something better! But that has only happened with a complete change of gear, different amp, different speakers, different room, etc...

I just took a flyer on some DQM-9cs... in part because of your posts. Glad I did.

What do you think of the University Medallions. Do you have the old ones or the XIIs? I have a chance to get the old ones. I like the cabinet and port size.

I have the Compact version and everything is original, I did get some short stands for them with a forward angle and they sound better and are off the ground ;) / with and without the cloth.

I was going to sell them but changed my mind, good thing no one bought them, as I would have regretted selling, sometimes the Universe does you a solid.

Attachments

• 2B8C985D-F6BE-4D1F-B59C-DBCAC0E1ECDD.jpeg
    2B8C985D-F6BE-4D1F-B59C-DBCAC0E1ECDD.jpeg
    109.8 KB · Views: 4
  • FF501041-A5E0-4CC9-AC83-97A24BDA0A84.jpeg
    FF501041-A5E0-4CC9-AC83-97A24BDA0A84.jpeg
    132.5 KB · Views: 4
Back
Top Bottom