• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Polk Audio Monitor 7s'

MarkSA

Active Member
Today I picked up a of pair Polk Audio Monitor 7s' (USA brand). I picked them up including low rise speaker stands for the sum of $30 Aus. Thet seem to make good speakers including the monitor 10s and 12s. Doe anyone have any these series Polks' and what do they think of them? Thanks.
 

Attachments

  • DSCN7505.jpg
    DSCN7505.jpg
    56 KB · Views: 59
  • DSCN7507.jpg
    DSCN7507.jpg
    57.4 KB · Views: 25
Last edited:
Register to hide this ad
They are great speakers. Especially for the money they go for on the used market. I prefer the Monitor 10, but many prefer the 7 out of that vintage Monitor line. Got any pics?
 
I picked up a pair a few months back for the same price, unfortunately, I didn't get any stands. Very nice speakers that punches way above it's weight. They will sound even better after you recap the crossovers, and some people change out the SL2000 tweeter for the RDO194 that is available from Polk.
 
Welcome to the polk family! Most users on the internet seem to think the monitor 7 series is the best balance between bass extension and how boomy some of the larger models can. One of the best values in used midfi components once restored/upgraded.

Mods include the RDO-194 tweeter since your model is running the one of the SL-2000 variants, adding anti vibration material the driver baskets, recapping, resealing the enclosure, and possibly moving some of the batting inside the enclosure away from the Passive radiator. Club Polk now that it's back up is a great source of information for the larger Polks, happy listening!
 
IMO the 7's are the best in the Monitor line. They came with various tweeters, the Peerless being the most desirable.
 
Goodies. You did well.

Karma dwellers seem to be "recap" crazy to me at times. That being said in this application even when still testing in value switching to the poly caps, resealing, bracing..... Made a worthwhile difference to my ears.

Never heard the version SL-2000 versions.

What are your thoughts, have you gotten in front of them yet?
 
They did appear to be in good shape when I first got them. apart from scratches son the bottom of the boxes.

I was going to try until I found the cat had climbed up one of the boxes and puncture holes through the fabric and tore a hole in the passive radiator (only in the surround, waiting for the glue to dry).

My fault for putting them where they were.

Does anyone know how to repair small holes in fabric?

I think the stands are home made, a couple inches high.
 
Last edited:
They did appear to be in good shape when I first got them. apart from scratches son the bottom of the boxes.

I was going to try until I found the cat had climbed up one of the boxes and puncture holes through the fabric and tore a hole in the passive radiator (only in the surround, waiting for the glue to dry).

My fault for putting them where they were.

Does anyone know how to repair small holes in fabric?

I think the stands are home made, a couple inches high.

I have a couple of the passive radiators lying around. One with the red accent line and the other with the flat dust cap.

Happy to send the one you need to get them going. PM me.
 
Thanks Donkey Karma, I'll keep you in mind if I need to go down that path. I tried one and AB'ed against Kef Concertos. The Kefs' seem to have more bass, probably because they are nearer to the wall. I've noticed that the Mid/bass is working hard even at low volumes. Are these rated at handling up to 100 watts RMS? Anyway they seem to sound good for the size of the speakers. (If I really decide there isn't enough bass, I may modify thema nd put a 10" woofer in them).
 
Thanks Donkey Karma, I'll keep you in mind if I need to go down that path. I tried one and AB'ed against Kef Concertos. The Kefs' seem to have more bass, probably because they are nearer to the wall. I've noticed that the Mid/bass is working hard even at low volumes. Are these rated at handling up to 100 watts RMS? Anyway they seem to sound good for the size of the speakers. (If I really decide there isn't enough bass, I may modify thema nd put a 10" woofer in them).


Or plug in a sub and keep them as they were intended:thmbsp:
 
Those are some great sounding speakers. To my ears the most neutral speakers in the Monitor lineup. If you want to hear something really cool just put those 7's on top of a pair of 10's. The 7's and 10's really go well together and you get the clean and crisp highs and mids of the 7's along with the mids and bass of the 10's.
Congrats and enjoy.
 
All good suggestion guys'. I am in no rush to modify them. I would prefer to keep them as they are,away from the cat.
 
Back
Top Bottom