Cerwin Vega D9

Doktor Timo

A pair of CV D9's just came up on my local Craigslist for $50. I've read a lot about these speakers and I really want to go for them. Based on the pictures it looks like the woofers need to be refoamed and that's it. From what I've seen, 50 bucks seems like a fair price.

If I get a chance to go see them in person are there any specific problems I need to watch out for? I can definitely handle a refoam, but I don't know bout other issues. Is $50 a good price even if I need to do more significant repair?

They're worth $50 all day. Check at low volume to be sure all the drivers are working. The cabs will likely clean up nicely as long as there's no serious dings or peeling. They may be a little sticky but that's common for CV's of that vintage.

RUN for those. A lot of speaker for the $$..if you can listen to them at low volume, make sure the other drivers are working..if not, replacement drivers are not scarce or to expensive.

Thanks guys. I emailed the seller twice within an hour of the listing going up but I haven't heard back yet. I'm worried that somebody got there before me. Wish me luck!

Refoam and enjoy for a while. Good rock speaker but not terribly accurate. Let them go if they are not your cup of tea - you will get your money back at that price assuming all drivers work.

Keep in mind they are quite large: About 36x19x19 and upwards of 90lbs.

He got back to me! They're in storage right now so I probably won't get to test them, but I'll at least get to look at em. At that price I may just go ahead anyway and hope for the best.

Thanks for the weight warning. I knew they were big, but I didn't realize they were that heavy. This should be fun.

He got back to me! They're in storage right now so I probably won't get to test them, but I'll at least get to look at em. At that price I may just go ahead anyway and hope for the best.

Thanks for the weight warning. I knew they were big, but I didn't realize they were that heavy. This should be fun.

For that price, I would grab them without testing..good luck!

If you can't verify all the drivers work, I'd pass, even at $50. I picked up a pair for cheap money thinking it'd be an easy refoam & I'd get some killer garage speakers. No dice, although they looked great, tweeters were dead, and the xovers have bad parts. The D9 tweeters are specific to that model & are not cheap, if you can even find them. I'm now into them for way more money than I can get back out around these parts. They still aren't working, I've got no motivation to work on them, & I'm pissed I even brought them home.

I would pass at $50 even if functioning. They don't sound great at all!

This is a sentiment that is not shared by many on this site, a simple search will show that.

If you can test them out I would, but if not I personally think they would be well worth the risk. They sell for $200+ in my local. CV driver are generally very robust.

I say do it. As many chimed in about a set of D7's I just got, you can always sell them of you don't like them. Likely the fuses are blown also, replace and give the speakers enough power, I've heard the fuses tend to blow if powered by a small amp. If the tweets are in fact gone you can part them out on ebay.

stick them out by the bonfire and turn up

I say do it. As many chimed in about a set of D7's I just got, you can always sell them of you don't like them. Likely the fuses are blown also, replace and give the speakers enough power, I've heard the fuses tend to blow if powered by a small amp. If the tweets are in fact gone you can part them out on ebay.

stick them out by the bonfire and turn up
I would grab these Fast!!!!!

And YES for the D7's...Worked at Crazy Eddies 1983-85 (Had the Home and Pro line)...The D7's were my goto speakers to Rock the House..Bass is Slamming Quick...D9's 15" driver are slower...but I would still grab these.

The woofs need foam - you know that already.

The tweets are protected by a circuit breaker. Unless abused, they are probably fine.

The mids are likely fine too but if not, they are out there for reasonable money.

The grill cloth needs replacing. Not a huge cost and not difficult to do either. Only cosmetic so if it doesn't bother you, no need to address.

Unless they have been totally abused, I can't imagine anything wrong with a crossover except for caps drifting. A recap is inexpensive and can be quite fun. If you have never done one, it's a good skill to know. Even if you had to rebuild the entire crossover, it wouldn't be that expensive.

I would still be happy with a decent set at that price. I will admit that love projects to work on though.

Are you getting a audiophile grade speaker? No, of course not.

Are you getting a speaker that is efficient, has tremendous bass and will rock the hell out of a party? Absolutely.

Like I said before, it's a fun speaker if you accept it's shortcomings and enjoy it for what it is.

Take along a battery powered boombox or anything with a remote speaker output and a cable with the right jack on one end and bare leads on the other. Hook it up to each speaker and check for all drivers working.

Probably too much to ask of them to let you unscrew the tweeters and check each with a meter.

You *might* get a signal through by briefly connecting a 1.5V or 9V battery to the input terminals and listen for a "click".

I would buy them for $50 just for the fun of it .I have a set of the d-5`s and they are not a great speaker but they really rock late on a Friday night after a few cold beers and the buddies are around . If not fully functional you can surely find the parts over time and make a project out of them . Good luck and I hope everything works on them .

Back
Top Bottom