I have ordered a Pioneer PLX-1000 direct drive turntable.....

Status
Not open for further replies.

WaynerN

Addicted Member
Because no one else here has bought one (as far as I know), and I think I need one more TT (this will be #9), I have decided to buy this much anticipated DD table. I have already drawn lines in the sand for this table, and if it doesn't perform to my utmost expectations, its going back. I got it for $699, with free shipping and a 1 year extended warranty (to 2 years).

The cartridges that will be installed in it will be the Grado Gold1 Longhorn, the Audio Technica AT440MLa and the Grado Master Reference/Statement. I will try to give a non-buttered up review when this process is complete. Stereophile magazine said that this is the table to buy if you are in the <$2,000 market (who isn't). There is a rather bad video on it concerning feedback, but I don't listen at disco levels, nor do I have my speakers pointed at the table.

So, here we go.......

'ner

Because no one else here has bought one (as far as I know), and I think I need one more TT (this will be #9), I have decided to buy this much anticipated DD table. I have already drawn lines in the sand for this table, and if it doesn't perform to my utmost expectations, its going back. I got it for $699, with free shipping and a 1 year extended warranty (to 2 years).

The cartridges that will be installed in it will be the Grado Gold1 Longhorn, the Audio Technica AT440MLa and the Grado Master Reference/Statement. I will try to give a non-buttered up review when this process is complete. Stereophile magazine said that this is the table to buy if you are in the <$2,000 market (who isn't). There is a rather bad video on it concerning feedback, but I don't listen at disco levels, nor do I have my speakers pointed at the table.

So, here we go.......

'ner

Very cool. If possible, would you be able to do some needledrops so we can all get an idea about the table's relative merits?

There is a rather bad video on it concerning feedback, but I don't listen at disco levels, nor do I have my speakers pointed at the table.

So, here we go.......

'ner

I saw that video, I don't why you would ever apply MC levels of gain to a MM cartridge and not expect it to feedback with a speaker pointing at it. :no:

That's great.:thmbsp:

With all of the contempt prior to investigation around here regarding that TT, I'm looking forward to reading your honest impressions.

I have a Technics SL1200MKII that I bought in 2007 as a comparison table. I'm an engineering guy, not a reviewer, so keep that in mind. I do have some sympathy for the newbie wanting to enter the vinyl world, but for me, the entry level tables just don't seem to have at least what I want. I see new Technics SL1200MKII on eBay going for $3,000 (BIN), but that is lots of cash for a $550 table (at least in 2007).

I have several phono preamps to try as well. They are the iPhono from iFi, the Emotiva XPS-1, and a couple of Audio by Van Alstine preamps (one is tube). I will be looking for fit, finish, ergonomics and feel of the deck, and of course, the sound field that it can generate in my near field vinyl studio.

I hope it turns out well.

Wayner

I think if you like the SL1200 you will like the Pioneer, providing it has the same level of fit and finish. My SL1200M3D has withstood the test of time. I did switch out the tonearm and install a bearing/heavy platter, but the basic deck is sturdy and capable of creating nice sound. I can see the aftermarket stepping up with upgrades, too.

Good luck,

BHamm

They have them in stock at the Guitar Center next to my store. Took a look at it last week, and it looks very well made. If one of my turntables gives us the ghost, the Pioneer will most likely replace it.

I have heard some good things about the Pioneer PLX 1000 from people who's perspectives I highly trust. We just bought one for one of our control rooms and hope to have it installed soon after some work on the studio gets finished. We bought two of them and I am trying to make arrangements to get one for a few days to evaluate at home.

its a oem turntable by the guys that make the SuperOEM direct drive units.

This one is supposedly more refined but its generally on par with the ATLP1240 and the RELOOP x000 series units. It has the DD motor magnet built into the platter and to me, thats a plus.

I doubt you will be let down in its performance or build quality. My ATLP1240 still impresses me everything I push the start/stop button as it just has that solid feel unlike anything else hifi for the average consumer.

I remember reading another WayneR thread a while back about wow/flutter dd vs belt drive, or something along those lines.. I await to hear your review/findings. Pay close attention to the gymbal bearings.

oh and it has an onboard preamp that is said to be less-than-impressive.... there are a few caps you can remove in the signal path, but im curious as to your impressions with the unit in 'phono' mode.

Last edited:
Yah even if it set to phono mode, there are at least 3 caps in the signal that are always in play. At least as far as I know.

I will be waiting to hear your impressions. I really like the "look" of the new Pioneer. I sincerely hope it is an excellent performer.

Yah even if it set to phono mode, there are at least 3 caps in the signal that are always in play. At least as far as I know.
Where are you seeing that the Pioneer has a built-in phono preamp? I was under the impression that it does not.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom