Help ID old Pickering cartridge!!!

Dave1216

Help identify old Pickering cartridge??

http://i.imgur.com/wUJEdcc.jpg

http://imgur.com/TgiZGBQ

Cartridge is on an Onkyo CP-1010a that hasn't been run in probably 20 years owned new by my parents but I guess cartridge was updated...(??) Has stylus grip that appears to have brush holes similar to the xv-15 but they are generally marked as such I believe. Restoring the table and I wasn't sure of the quality of this cartridge since I can't find any writing other than Pickering and connection labels

Any help would be appreciated

It's a Phase IV, a.k.a. Micro IV, a moving iron cartridge that was to have been the replacement for the V-15. It's a good cartridge. The better original styli are difficult to find but the XV-15 styli fit - it looks like that's what's on yours - and, though the inductance and DCR are pretty different, they sound quite good.

John

Last edited:
Any recommendation for a stylus for it? I know there's a few replacements for the xv-15

I have a D625E in mine. The best stylus actually designed for the cartridge was the D IV AME (Pfanstiehl 607-DEM), a 0.2 x 0.7 mil elliptical. They're pretty close to impossible to find. Last time I checked, Pickering UK still had the D625E.

John

You can also use, if you can find one a D 5E D7E and a D8E or any of the Ivory colored IV series styluses.

I believe those are all for the V-15 so too wide for the Micro IV body. It's the XV-15 styli that fit. The "IV" series styli, like the D IV AME I mentioned earlier, are the ones that were intended for the Micro IV. (That's why there's a "IV" in the model number.)

John

I believe those are all for the V-15 so too wide for the Micro IV body. It's the XV-15 styli that fit. The "IV" series styli, like the D IV AME I mentioned earlier, are the ones that were intended for the Micro IV. (That's why there's a "IV" in the model number.)

John

Sorry John But i have a D7E on my micro IV in fact that is how I acquired it many years ago, with a broken cantilever.

The Stanton equivalent cartridges are the 600-series, the predecessors to the 680/681-series. The Stanton 680 and Pickering XV-15 styli work OK.

Back
Top Bottom