fisher 500 mono receiver X2

Gooshe

Awareness
Subscriber
guys, i just got these fisher mono 500's , two of them, and i am in heaven, these things are so buttery sounding, i have them just connected to some dynaco's a-30xl model and they blow me away, everything works on it perfectly, no hum, no buzz, no distortion, all lights, switches are scratch free and it seems to be functioning greatly, i get up every 3 minutes to check the transformers and the capacitors to make sure they are not over heating. the tubes are 6l6g RCA's and they are supposedly nos. i tested it at the sellers house for about 20 minutes and have had it running another hour or so here at my place.
Now, the essentials, what should I do to make sure they function like they do? i know I should probably take them to my tech to have them gone over, but man, the sound is so good, I just can't stop listening to them. any suggestions is much appreciated./ what are the risks I am running into if i operate them like this? i am just so baffled by how great they sound. just too smooth. anyone have a pair of these to chime in with opinions?

Attachments

• IMG_8273[1].jpg
    IMG_8273[1].jpg
    71.6 KB · Views: 51
  • IMG_8272[1].jpg
    IMG_8272[1].jpg
    71.1 KB · Views: 38
  • IMG_8270[1].jpg
    IMG_8270[1].jpg
    76.6 KB · Views: 54
Can we get some underside shots? This will tell how much they have been worked on, if at all.

Do you know about the FISHER Forum here? I would suggest having this thread moved there as it's unit/brand specific, and you'll get unit specific questions answered better there.

thanks for that recommendation. how do i move the thread? meanwhile I will take the bottoms off and snap a few nudies

Pm FISHERDUDE and ask him to move it. He's the FISHER Moderator. Give him the link also.

based on larryderouin's recommendation (thank you), I am posting nudies of under the chasis of the fisher 500 mono receiver. I don't know much but those yellow and gray things look like could be new caps? am I lucky? somewhat? i am now going to PM fisherdude. Thanks again larryderouin. feel free to chime in with your thoughts of the insides please:banana:

Attachments

• IMG_8279[1].jpg
    IMG_8279[1].jpg
    107.6 KB · Views: 52
  • IMG_8277[1].jpg
    IMG_8277[1].jpg
    103.4 KB · Views: 47
thanks, does that mean i should be fairly safe to run them then? i know it is a 60 year old piece and anything can go wrong at any time. also one of the unit's transformer does get a bit hotter than the other being ran the same amount of time. anything to worry about?
Cheers and thanks again

does the el-37's make them sing better? they are harder tubes to come by and older i guess but how do they sound, ?

In my career as a tube gear owner, I've always gone with the tubes that the unit calls for. (I know that the later-issue TA-500 came equipped with the 5881, but mine is very early production.) I have never tried anything but the EL37 Mullards in this receiver, though I did experiment with EL37 vs 6L6GB in a pair of Fairchild monoblocks I used to have, and I preferred the honey-on-moonbeams quality of the EL37.

In my career as a tube gear owner, I've always gone with the tubes that the unit calls for. (I know that the later-issue TA-500 came equipped with the 5881, but mine is very early production.) I have never tried anything but the EL37 Mullards in this receiver, though I did experiment with EL37 vs 6L6GB in a pair of Fairchild monoblocks I used to have, and I preferred the honey-on-moonbeams quality of the EL37.

You used el 37's in a pair of fairchild 260'S?

The original posters amps are the later version as can be seen by the type of output transformer.the early versions that ran the el37 were potted.

I had a pair of the 255 for a while: great amps, but they weren't clean and hadn't been well-cared-for so I sold them. My grandfather was VP of Fairchild before my time, and someday I hope to have a nice 255/260/275 if I can find a clean one at a "reasonable" price.

Back
Top Bottom