Audiokarma.org
Audiokarma Featured Sponsor

Go Back   AudioKarma.org Home Audio Stereo Discussion Forums > Tuners


We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #496  
Old 01-18-2012, 12:33 AM
Andy696 Andy696 is offline
AK Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 4
yamaha tuners

Hello everybody!

Because of Im a Yamaha fan currently I have a 3 yamaha tuners:

Yamaha T560
Tx 680 RDS
and TX 530 but of course I would like to buy a Yamaha TX 1000 its a big tuner!
Reply With Quote
  #497  
Old 01-18-2012, 09:07 AM
MX117.MC7150 MX117.MC7150 is offline
Listener
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Jersey Shore
Posts: 4,994
Quote:
Originally Posted by capt.chaos View Post
I need to find a steal on an Accuphase T-100 since I recently had a C-200 and P-300 fall in my lap.
Couple of T-101s on Audigon for a similar price. Not enough difference between the T-100 and T-101 to worry about. As it is almost impossible to find cosmetic repair parts for either, you might want to pick the one that has the best cosmetics if you are going for a "keeper" can always get the electrical bits repaired.
__________________
Accuphase T-106 Cary PH 302, SLI 80 Sig F1 Clearaudio SM Pro RCM Focal 807W Marantz CD8004 McIntosh MC50(x2), MR65A Mitsubishi LT-30 & LT-22 w/Ortofon K-b & 2M Black, AT33R & AT150Ti, Lyra Kleos, DL-303 Sony TA-F707ES, ST-J75 Yamaha T-85, TX-1000
Reply With Quote
  #498  
Old 01-18-2012, 01:46 PM
capt.chaos's Avatar
capt.chaos capt.chaos is offline
AK Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Sooner State
Posts: 1,045
Quote:
Originally Posted by MX117.MC7150 View Post
Couple of T-101s on Audigon for a similar price. Not enough difference between the T-100 and T-101 to worry about. As it is almost impossible to find cosmetic repair parts for either, you might want to pick the one that has the best cosmetics if you are going for a "keeper" can always get the electrical bits repaired.
You could be right. I originally was thinking a t-100 because it has the matching black panel at the bottom. Otherwise they are very similar. It's close enough to be an excellent option. Like you said, it is hard to find this old gear in good cosmetic condition. Thanks!
Reply With Quote
  #499  
Old 01-18-2012, 01:51 PM
rudyg rudyg is offline
AK Member
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 225
Yamaha CT-1010 and 2 Yamaha T-7, I like both, the T-7 has the better sound
Reply With Quote
  #500  
Old 02-23-2012, 03:31 PM
pococj pococj is offline
AK Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 21
Sumo Charlie - works when it wants to!
Hitachi FT-8000

Bought the Charlie from DAK back in the mid 1980s. Ran it through a Pioneer SA-8800 integrated amp. Was an amazing change from the old Pioneer and Kenwood receivers I had. Still have the Charlie, but it lays down more often than not. Had too many bad solder joints in the power supply section. Got most of them taken care of, but now something in the RF section is "screws-loose".

I think the SA-8800 is up over my shop. Volume pot is whacked on one channel.

Just recently got the Hitachi after reading thru the Tuner Info site and stumbling on it on eBay. Sounds pretty nice for $50.
__________________
Poco
Brotherhood of Warriors VMC
WFFW
Reply With Quote
Audiokarma
  #501  
Old 03-11-2012, 07:32 PM
RossW RossW is offline
AK Subscriber
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Medford, MA
Posts: 3,591
Oh man, threads like this make me realize just how much gear I have. Let's see, for tuners I have:

Dynaco FM3 - fully recapped and sounds pretty good. Reception is good and strong but selectivity is just so-so, Boston is a tough area in that respect because there's just so many stations. I suspect this one will be leaving my possession sooner rather than later.

National Criterion - A rare AM/FM mono tuner that represents National's attempt to get into the hi-fi business. It's big, heavy, and looks oh so 1950s. From a performance standpoint it is excellent, I have an Eico MPX unit on the shelf that I might try with it to see how it does with FM stereo. I actually have two of these beasts that I got as part of a package deal with a pair of the matching amplifiers.

Sony XDR-F1HD - I was surprised by this little guy, what it lacks in sound quality it more than makes up for with performance. There's also a couple HD stations I've found that I enjoy. Definitely a keeper.

McIntosh MR67 - Unless FM makes a huge comeback I think this will be the last tuner I ever buy. Mine needs some work (weak tubes, original capacitors, and a so-so alignment) but even as-is it sounds lovely. It's on the bench currently getting the work that it needs taken care of.
__________________
-Ross
Heathkit AA-1640, Amber Model 17, Sony XDR-F1HD, Emotiva ERC-2, Dual 1219, Cambridge Audio DacMagic, Thiel CS3.5
Reply With Quote
  #502  
Old 03-11-2012, 09:47 PM
bktheking's Avatar
bktheking bktheking is online now
Gitter Done!
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Ottawa Ontario
Posts: 12,072
No love for the fm-3 Ross, I love mine.
__________________
Marantz 8B,2500,18,120,150,1060,1250,2270,Pioneer sx-737/sx1280,heathkit sp2, KW ka6000,kt7000,kc6060,Yam C4,Fisher 500C,hk aa111, Puresonic 410-C, Tannoy Arden's, B&W DM2's, A-25's,Klipsch Quartets,Sansui 7070/Eight,Technics se-a5 mkii,Bozak 929,Hitachi HMA8500mkii
Reply With Quote
  #503  
Old 03-12-2012, 05:30 AM
MX117.MC7150 MX117.MC7150 is offline
Listener
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Jersey Shore
Posts: 4,994
Hi Ross - how about a couple of pic's of the National Criterion for those of us who have never seen one. When you state 'National', am guessing your are not stating National Semiconductor, but some other National. Thanks.
__________________
Accuphase T-106 Cary PH 302, SLI 80 Sig F1 Clearaudio SM Pro RCM Focal 807W Marantz CD8004 McIntosh MC50(x2), MR65A Mitsubishi LT-30 & LT-22 w/Ortofon K-b & 2M Black, AT33R & AT150Ti, Lyra Kleos, DL-303 Sony TA-F707ES, ST-J75 Yamaha T-85, TX-1000
Reply With Quote
  #504  
Old 03-12-2012, 10:19 AM
RossW RossW is offline
AK Subscriber
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Medford, MA
Posts: 3,591
National as in the Malden, MA company best known for shortwave radios. There have actually been at least 3 "National", the old radio company, a more recent Japanese company, and National Semi.

I've attached a picture for your enjoyment.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Criterion.jpg (118.2 KB, 38 views)
__________________
-Ross
Heathkit AA-1640, Amber Model 17, Sony XDR-F1HD, Emotiva ERC-2, Dual 1219, Cambridge Audio DacMagic, Thiel CS3.5
Reply With Quote
  #505  
Old 03-12-2012, 12:13 PM
doug s.'s Avatar
doug s. doug s. is offline
AK Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: maryland
Posts: 1,137
Quote:
Originally Posted by RossW View Post
Oh man, threads like this make me realize just how much gear I have. Let's see, for tuners I have:

Dynaco FM3 - fully recapped and sounds pretty good. Reception is good and strong but selectivity is just so-so, Boston is a tough area in that respect because there's just so many stations. I suspect this one will be leaving my possession sooner rather than later.

National Criterion - A rare AM/FM mono tuner that represents National's attempt to get into the hi-fi business. It's big, heavy, and looks oh so 1950s. From a performance standpoint it is excellent, I have an Eico MPX unit on the shelf that I might try with it to see how it does with FM stereo. I actually have two of these beasts that I got as part of a package deal with a pair of the matching amplifiers.

Sony XDR-F1HD - I was surprised by this little guy, what it lacks in sound quality it more than makes up for with performance. There's also a couple HD stations I've found that I enjoy. Definitely a keeper.

McIntosh MR67 - Unless FM makes a huge comeback I think this will be the last tuner I ever buy. Mine needs some work (weak tubes, original capacitors, and a so-so alignment) but even as-is it sounds lovely. It's on the bench currently getting the work that it needs taken care of.
try a refurb's sherwood - s3000ll or later, w/stereo mpx built-in; or more modern s/s mpx; you may end up selling your mac & saving a few dollars.

doug s.
Reply With Quote
Audiokarma
  #506  
Old 03-12-2012, 05:55 PM
RossW RossW is offline
AK Subscriber
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Medford, MA
Posts: 3,591
Hush you, don't encourage me to spend more money on tuners. Although if I could get a good deal on a Sansui TU9900...
__________________
-Ross
Heathkit AA-1640, Amber Model 17, Sony XDR-F1HD, Emotiva ERC-2, Dual 1219, Cambridge Audio DacMagic, Thiel CS3.5
Reply With Quote
  #507  
Old 03-12-2012, 09:10 PM
doug s.'s Avatar
doug s. doug s. is offline
AK Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: maryland
Posts: 1,137
Quote:
Originally Posted by RossW View Post
Hush you, don't encourage me to spend more money on tuners. Although if I could get a good deal on a Sansui TU9900...
you could get a nice sherwood and a tu9900 for the money you get selling that mr71.

the tu9900, besides sounding wonderful, is the nicest looking analog tuna extant, imo. i shoulda kept mine (modded/refurb'd), and sold the modded refurb'd tu-x1 instead - not that much (if any?) difference in performance, and the tu9900 is yust so beautiful, while the tu-x1 is merely handsome... sonically, the sherwoods are in this league, not the mac tubers...

doug s.
Reply With Quote
  #508  
Old 03-18-2012, 07:38 PM
motorstereo's Avatar
motorstereo motorstereo is offline
AK Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Connecticut
Posts: 6,561
Here's my newest 2 that I've been listening to all week. It was a tough choice deciding which one to put in the main set up. The TU9900 won out simply because it's easier to see, use and to switch stations easier. The Mac tuner sounds great with the sansui amp. And the sansui tuner like wise with the Mac amp. Not exactly the way I had things planned but those 2 set ups really sound great.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg mr78 004.jpg (86.6 KB, 43 views)
File Type: jpg mr78 001.jpg (78.9 KB, 44 views)
File Type: jpg mr78 011.jpg (79.5 KB, 22 views)
File Type: jpg mr78 009.jpg (77.3 KB, 38 views)
File Type: jpg 003.jpg (78.3 KB, 42 views)
__________________
1.clearaudio tt, sony 9000es, punkerx tu9900, avionic c4, mcintosh mc2500, dreadnaught xformer, polk sda 1.2tl's def tech pf18, mitsu p10, mogami ic's
2.pioneer sx1010, mcintosh ml1c
3.grant td 11, onkyo 508, ads L810
4.sanyo plus t55, sansui au9500, ads 880
Reply With Quote
  #509  
Old 06-05-2012, 01:34 AM
AU20K's Avatar
AU20K AU20K is offline
AK Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: I'm over here now.
Posts: 815
Quote:
Originally Posted by RossW View Post
National as in the Malden, MA company best known for shortwave radios. There have actually been at least 3 "National", the old radio company, a more recent Japanese company, and National Semi.

I've attached a picture for your enjoyment.
That radio looks awesome!! I have something like that on my wannit list. Just gotta find a way to make room.

Thanx for the pic.
__________________
"Idiot breaks law. Other idiots applaud. Well, that makes it OK then." Some A-hole on a forum
Reply With Quote
  #510  
Old 07-25-2012, 02:00 PM
Stevedel's Avatar
Stevedel Stevedel is offline
AK Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 187
Just purchased a Citation IIIx from E-bay. I hope that they don't do to FM what they did to TV.

Stevedel
Reply With Quote
Audiokarma
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:03 PM.



Friends of Audiokarma
We appreciate your help in keeping this site going.
Stereo Repair World
Herbies Audio Lab
Vintage Home Audio
Amps and Sound
Pro DJ Headphones - click here
Organ Donor Parts
Wargos Electronics
Parts Connexion
Sonneteer
Take Five Audio
Sound Stage Direct
Audio Salon
AudioClassics
Audience AV
AV Solutions
Simply Speakers
Tone Arm Audio
BD Enterprise
Musical Paradise
Howard Products
Classic Sound Repair
FM DX Antenna
McIntosh Cabinets
Siliconray
BOI Audio Works
Vinyl Magic Record Cleaner
Amplifiedparts
Grant Fidelity
RSL Speakers
Yesterday's Audio
Urban Antigue Radio
DeWick Repairs
Many Moons Audio
Vintage Electronics Repair
The Tube Store
Politicalchat.org
Audio Doctor
Antique Radio Classifieds
MCM Electronics
Videokarma.org
   
   
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
ęCopyright 2002-2014 AudioKarma.org, All rights reserved.