Technics SB 7000

cableguy

In Twang We Trust
I would bet because they were more rare, did not make a name for themselves like Altecs, Infinity and Klipsh did with other model lines and you did not see them in the states in large numbers. Being Japanese models and marketing I'm sure had a lot to do with it. Never heard the personally but they sure look impressive in the pix. :thmbsp:

I could go on with my tale of woe on how I lost mine, but I can sum up how I felt about them: I LOVED them. If it were legal, I would have married them at the time.

Technics is sort of the forgotten speaker company. While they did make some real stinkers, there is no doubt in my mind that they were one of the most innovative speaker companies of the 1970's and 1980's. One need only look at the SB-7000 as an example, or further on to the SB-10000, or the joygasm inducing SB-9500 as proof.

However, they will always have the stigma of being "Technics by Panasonic" attached to them, not to mention the countless "cardboard box with speakers" systems they built and sold too. Panasonic should have kept Technics as their high-end line, and used the Panasonic lable for their bargain basement boxes.

The build on these is fantastic, over 70#'s each. I'm having a love affair with these right now. Fortunatly the wife understands....

I have a pair of the smaller SB-4500B in storage--when I had them hooked up I thought they sounded pretty dang good.
Like you, I've heard good things about the big SB-7000.

I don't know, but I'd love to take those SB-9500s and SB-10000s for a spin! WOW! :yikes:

Last edited:
Speaking of those SB series speakers, were they here in the states as well, or just overseas? I can't seem to find much of anything about them online.

chops2 said:
Speaking of those SB series speakers, were they here in the states as well, or just overseas? I can't seem to find much of anything about them online.

Almost all of Technics speakers were prefixed with SB, even the utterly cruddy ones.

The SB-X, SB-*000(A), SB-L***, the SB-X***(A), the SB-E***, SB-C***, and the SB-M** are all the ones worth having, in my opinion. They are all either from the Monitor, Linear Phase, or HCD (Honey Comb Disc) series.

The ones in particular I covet are the Linear Phase SB-*000(A) and SB-E*** series.

These were, I believe, all available in the US. A friend has a pair of the awe inspiring SB-9500's and they really must be heard (and seen) to be believed.

Two sites with good information are:
http://www.vintagetechnics.com/loudspeakers.htm (English)
and
http://www.niji.or.jp/home/k-nisi/index.html (Japanese)

OK, they are very impressive sounding indeed. Bill & Kelly you are making the KLIPSCH lovers around the world cringe with you spelling :D . Please note the difference in the way I spelled it and the way you guys spelled it. I have always liked Teknics :D .

macaltec said:
OK, they are very impressive sounding indeed. Bill & Kelly you are making the KLIPSCH lovers around the world cringe with you spelling :D . Please note the difference in the way I spelled it and the way you guys spelled it. I have always liked Teknics :D .
Sorry Dad..... :smoke:

Great speakers, but sadly they sit now unused :sigh: Seriously the SB 7000 is one of the finer speakers I have ever owned..

I just got the sb-7070's and I can't get over how awesome they are. Not sure what the differences are between them and the 7000's as far as sound. some speakers sound great these are like being there.

I still like the older dark green gear electronics- truly their hey day! I have owned the SB 501's 7000's amd the renowned SB 7070's- all of them very nice speakers indeed. Just like many thing back then though they did not get the press clippings that many others did- that is a shame too.

However- if you pur the mid to big horn units of the Klipsch, Ev & Altec up next to their 7070's and others in the Tech line well you kinds see/ hear why they may not have competed as well! Don't get me wrong- some of these Techs were certainly quite good- but were out classed none the less. There is always a bigger dog somewhere...
DC

I could go on with my tale of woe on how I lost mine, but I can sum up how I felt about them: I LOVED them. If it were legal, I would have married them at the time.

That's how i feel about my Technics SB-1000 speakers, which are even rarer than the ones mentioned. I will marry them once i overhaul the crossover. Technics pulled out ALL stops for this one. It seems that philosophy for this one was, in order of priority:

(1) Lowest distortion, even down at 50Hz
(2) High efficiency
(3) Flat FR and good dispersion

sb-1000.JPG

I wouldn't call the SB-7000's rare as their are many pairs out there. Had a pair when they first came out and they sounded very good to my ears. Now the ones with the horns are much rarer, and much harder to find. The SB-7000's and the ones below that were sold at many big mid-fi dealers so their numbers are much higher than the ones like the SB9500 or SB10000's, as those models would have been limited to higher end dealers. Many of the higher end dealers did not carry Technic's as their window of greatness was pretty narrow.

Back
Top Bottom