Presidian PBS-5053

Urizen

Lunatic Member
Over the last couple of weeks, I have been swapping different speakers in my patio room system. As I mentioned in a previous thread, this room is mostly glass, so finding a speaker with smooth highs and enough bass (but not too much, because the glass can rattle) has been a battle. I have tried both the Realistic Minimus 7, and the Optimus Pro-LX5ii, with the latter sounding better, especially the bass response.

Today, on a trip to the Rat Shack to pick up some batteries, I spotted, on the top shelf, a box labeled Presidian. It was the only pair in the store (they didn't have a set on display), and I had remembered, some time ago, reading some good things about these diminutive speakers. I know the store manager (I sell him paint), and he charged me $29.99. They are now installed in the patio room.

My initial listening impressions are that these sound better than either the Minimus or the Optimus in this room. Before, I dared not turn up my amp with the 7's, in fear of blowing them, and the Optimus compressed badly when cranked. The Presidians don't compress when turned up, and have much better bass than either of the previous pairs. The highs are sweet and extended. I look forward to them sounding even better once they break in. I understand that these have only one capacitor on the tweeter (e.g. EPI 100s, first order crossovers), so that the woofers runs full range. I will try some higher quailty caps and some fiberfill later and see if there is an improvement.

The grills are removable. They use 6.5" woofers with paper cones and butyl surrounds, 1/2" dome tweeters, and a rear-firing port. The cabinets are constructed of 5/16" MDF and have an attractive black ash vinyl covering, even on the front of the speakers. Impedance is 8 ohms, stated frequency response is 56-20,000 Hz, power handling is 50 watts RMS, 100 watts max. Measurements are 10.5 x 7.4 x 6.6 inches and weigh in at a whopping 5.25 lbs. each. :D

Associated equipment: Kenwood KA-5700 integrated, KT-5300 tuner and a Toshiba SD-3980 DVD player.

Fun little speakers for the cost of a couple of cds. :thmbsp:

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom