Almarro M1A speakers

luvvinvinyl

My best pal, Molly
Subscriber
OK, I have had my Almarro M1A’s running for almost a week. I fell in love with these little beauties at the Fest. Many thanks to BrianB, at VenusHiFi, for making this deal happen.

My office system is set up in ‘nearfield’ mode, due to space constraints. (8’x10’ room, with two desks, and assorted other junk)
Almarro A205 integrated
Almarro M1A speakers (2-way, rear ported, original design drivers)
Arcam Alpha One cdp
Pioneer PL-115D TT/Shure M97xE cart/Cambridge Audio azur 540P-S phono stage
Marantz 105 tuner (from PunkerX’s bench)
Nordost Solar Wind interconnects
Chord Carnival Silver speaker cables
Atlantis Signature stands (too short, need to be taller)

The good things: The sound is incredible. I have to relisten to all my music. Granted, they have replaced a pair of Mirage 450’s, but the Mirages sounded pretty good, just not even close to this league. Cymbals, brushes, saxophones all have a ‘real’ sound to them, now, something that I hadn’t heard in this room, to this degree, before. Voices? I would swear that Linda Ronstadt, Patricia Barber, and Holly Cole were in my office, singing for me. Another surprise for me is just how much authority these little Almarro’s have, in this room, for the LF. Certain recordings that were ‘less than distinct’, in bass viol riffs, now have more definition, clarity, like the bassist has come into the room, with the rest of the performers.

These are also flat-out beautiful cabinets, made of 1” Japanese Oak lumber, with a smooth-as-silk finish. Big, beefy binding posts on the back, slickly-made grills, and threaded inserts in the bottom of the cabinets, to facilitate mounting on the stands. I WILL be using that feature, once I get taller stands. No Blu-tak on these babies.

The bad thing: I am back to square one for sources. TT, cart, phono stage, cdp all need to be upgraded. Wait a minute; this belongs in the section above. I forgot, for a second, that the thrill is in the hunt.

Seriously, my audio goals are much more clearly defined, so the hunt should be much easier than previously so.

The only bad thing is this: This system gets played while I am on AK. I find myself turning away from reading threads, or administering membership requests, to listen, anew, to a piece of music with which I thought I was intimately familiar. Through these Almarro’s, my music library is all new, again. Tough life, isn't it?

I know that listening is subjective. I have heard other tube systems, specifically Billfort's, which blew me away. My home situation (I live in a semi-detached’) doesn't allow for a big pair of Altecs, driven to 'realistic' levels. Maybe one day, I'll have some horns, or some big Tannoys. Until my home changes, and it probably will never change, I have stopped looking at amps and speakers. This is a pairing I can live with, for a long time, and won't live without.

Thanks, BrianB, for the deal, and Yoshihiro Muramatsu, for your genius designs.

Nice review, Ernie - good luck with the source-component hunt. Oh, and thanks for the image of you in your office with Linda Ronstadt, Patricia Barber, and Holly Cole :naughty:

This is pretty much how I thought this review would read. I spent a little time with Ernie at the Fest listening to this amp>speaker combo and remember a point where I was thinking 'wow' and looked over at Ernie to see he was even more impressed than I was.

I yammer on a lot about system synergy with tube equipment and how important it is but that's the first thing that came to mind when I heard the A205/M1A pairing - here was a couple pieces that flat out worked together.

I haven't tried to get a system to work in an 8' x 10' room before (my smallest was 10' x 11') but I really can't think of many amp/speaker combos I would want to try over the Almarros. Maybe a 45 or 2A3 SET but I'm kind of stumped when it comes to small speakers that would work with these quirky amps. I suspect I would be very happy with the M1A's (and a 205), and just forget the SET thing and concentrate on source and music.

Sure would love to hear your system next time I'm down your way Ernie!

Thanks, for the kind words, Gents. Bill, please let me finish with the sources, cables, etc. Then I can show it off, when it's done. You fellows, of course, would be welcome, anytime.

I'm not a big believer in the synergy thing, but I did find Almarro's speakers to be among the best at the fest. Probably my favorite production speaker there.

Hello again, luvvinvinyl!

I, too, have been really enjoying my time with my own pair of Almarro M1As, which I picked up at the show. Truly excellent in every single way.

A few folks have mentioned "system synergy" here, and while I agree that these speakers sound terrific with Almarro's own amps, I am also discovering that the M1As mate just as well with numerous other amplifier brands, which is a good thing.

The one unusual thing about the M1A is that this speaker does seem to need more space to breathe than your typical minimonitor. In particular, the tremendous bass output of the M1A (and no, this is NOT "one-note bass", if you know what I mean!) could easily overpower a very tiny room.

Cheers,
Brian

Back
Top Bottom