Is Sansui X-1111 MOS Vintage the best amp Sansui ever build ?

Morris

Dear all:

I was considering to buy a Sansui X-1111 MOS Vintage from Japan Yahoo Auction. People told me
X-1111 is the best amp Sansui ever build, is that true?
X-1111 MOS Vintage is sold at 400,000 Yen that time.
It's about 100,000 Yen now. I never see this type on eBay.

Thanks

Au-x1111

Morris said:
Dear all:

I was considering to buy a Sansui X-1111 MOS Vintage from Japan Yahoo Auction. People told me

Thanks
AU-X1111 uses the custom made MOS-FET that was specifically engineered for only very high-end Sansui models (such as "Vintage" and "Limited" Models). Because this particular MOS-FET yielded such an impressive sound, Sansui produced the limited edition of the MOS-FET amp (the AU-Alpha 607 MOS Limited) in 1999 that used up all remaining MOS-FETs.

Mr. Ohshima with Aqua Audio Lab calls the AU-X1111 MOS Vintage as "the king of Sansui Integrated Amplifier" on his Web Site.
Link Aqua Audio Lab

Last edited:
if current used Sansui pricing in Japan is used as gauge, it's among the best.

rough estimates of average auction prices of high-end Sansui amps in Yahoo Japan, last 2 years:

Au-07 Anniversary - 250,000 yen
Au-alpha 907 Limited - 220,000
Au-111 Vintage (1999 model) - 200,000
Au-alpha 907 NRA - 160,000
Au-X1111 - 120,000 yen

Last edited:
Well, Yes and no...
Considering the year of introducing (end of 1980's), Sansui AU-X1111 is actually the most expensive amplifier of all you mentioned, since the all other models are from around mid/end of 1990's.
It is rarelly seen on ebay, at least here in Europe, and I saw it just few times (one from Greece, one from Germany, besides the third amp which never occured on ebay, but eas sold in Netherland to one of our memeber here. The asked prices for all three amps was between 1500€-2000€.
However, the 07 Anniversary model also looks fantasic, and to my best knowledge it was the best engeneered amp of all mentined, although expansive (the MSRP was around $4500).
If I could choose, I would opt for this one, or at least AU-X1111 of the later production run (with Tamura transformer)

The figures i quoted are current, as of date, based on successful auctions in Japan, not their original retail prices when those units were released, therefore a reflection of Japanese audiophile's preference.

I also would like to own an Au-X1111, which should be superior than those I have now (the best i have, iMos-Limited, is quoted in Japan Yahoo at an estimated average price of roughly 80,000 yen.)

BTW, if the Japanese Au-X1111 is to be used in the States, a stepdown transformer to 100volts is necessary. 100v Japanese hifi units won't last if fed with 120 volts.

Last edited:
I also mentioned the auction's price, not MSRP and in my opinion, cosidering those prices, the AU-X1111 would be actually more expansive. Of course, that's only for you, since here in EU we don't see the models of the 1990's.

High End Sansui

sandawa said:
The figures i quoted are current, as of date, based on successful auctions in Japan, not their original retail prices when those units were released, therefore a reflection of Japanese audiophile's preference.

I also would like to own an Au-X1111, which should be superior than those I have now (the best i have, iMos-Limited, is quoted in Japan Yahoo at an estimated average price of roughly 80,000 yen.)

BTW, if the Japanese Au-X1111 is to be used in the States, a stepdown transformer to 100volts is necessary. 100v Japanese hifi units won't last if fed with 120 volts.

I believe there is a version of of AU-X1111 Mos Vintage having a Voltage Selector. The model is sold in Germany as far as I know.
Au-07 Anniversary - 250,000 yen New 1996: 450.000 Yen
Au-alpha 907 Limited - 220,000 New 1994: 410.000 Yen
Au-111 Vintage (1999 model) - 200,000 New 1999: 440.000 Yen
Au-alpha 907 NRA - 160,000 New 1998: 300.000 Yen
AU-X111 Mos Vintage New 1984: 330.000 Yen
Au-X1111 - 120,000 yen
AU-X1111 Mos Vintage New 1988: 400.000

Those original retail prices make the comparisons more interesting. True, the European versions have voltage switches but the Japan domestic units are all 100 volts.

The Au-X1111 average auction price I mentioned is already the Mos Vintage (I don't think there's a variant, except those modified). The AU-X111 (also Mos Vintage) is selling only at an average of 80,000 yen in Japan's Yahoo auctions. There were 42 transactions involving Au-X111 in the last two years. Incidentally, Au-X1's average quote in Japan is roughly 30,000 yen and Au-X11 at less than 50,000 yen.

Last edited:
AU-X1111 Mos Vintage

Morris said:
Dear all:

Thanks
Specs for AU-X1111 Mos Vintage

sandawa said:

Has anyone tried this- use one of the later model high end, made only in Japan Sansui amps here in the U.S. with a step-down transformer?

Would having such a transformer in the power cord path interfere with the sound?

How about this one. Sansui B-2302. I'm thinking about doing a little long distance shopping too. If I read that right thats 300 wpc at 8 ohms, THD 0.003% weighing in at 101 pounds.

Should a separate distinction be made between best candidate Sansui integrated amp (ex: AU-X1111) and best power amp (ex: B-2302)?

For what was offered in its respective time period, I think the top dawg of them all that wins the 'weightlifting contest' is the BA-5000 :ntwrthy:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

The judge,he holds a grudge,
He's gonna call on you.
But he's badly built
And he walks on stilts,
Watch out he don't fall on you!.. ( B Dylan, 1966)

Last edited:
riverrat said:
Has anyone tried this- use one of the later model high end, made only in Japan Sansui amps here in the U.S. with a step-down transformer?

Would having such a transformer in the power cord path interfere with the sound?

In my travels to the US, I've never encountered any of my relatives or friends, also into audio, who own a Japanese (made for domestic market) amp. But I remember a few posts here previously on problems of US enthusiasts using made-for-Japan gear.

Here in the Philippines (240volts), using stepdown transformers among audiophiles is common. Back when I was a kid in the 60s and 70s, the only upscale audio units available here were rated 120V from the US. (local dealers only sell entry and middle models with voltage selectors at the back). So, even back then, we used stepdown transformers and there were no complaints.

I don't think using correct transformers would have an effect on a gear's performance.

Bumping this thread up for discussion.

My broken down AU-D11 II has me thinking once again about the possibility of trying to pick up one the many newer Sansui integrated amps that were offered for the Japanese market only. Over time, many different models come up on Yahoo Japan Auctions.

To be sure it would be a bit of gamble, but if I could somehow navigate the complexities of dealing with the Japanese language using MAIL ORDER JAPAN or some similar service I could come out with a really special amp.

I'd need to use a step down transformer of course...

I'm not sure how my amp fits into this whole equation, but it has impressed the hell out of me and seems to have also been a TOTL model from about the same time period.

I found mine on craigslist (oddly enough) about 5 minutes from my work. There were no pictures in the ad and I had never heard of it so I pretty much went to the sellers house just out of curiosity. Within 30 minutes I was enroute to the ATM machine...:D

Model is AU-X901.

HERE are a few pics of your amp. I'm guessing late 80's.

I'm not sure how my amp fits into this whole equation, but it has impressed the hell out of me and seems to have also been a TOTL model from about the same time period.

I found mine on craigslist (oddly enough) about 5 minutes from my work. There were no pictures in the ad and I had never heard of it so I pretty much went to the sellers house just out of curiosity. Within 30 minutes I was enroute to the ATM machine...:D

Model is AU-X901.

Back
Top Bottom